Quantcast What traffic violation would you like to see ticketed by police more often? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    (Nothing more annoying than sitting at red light after red light.
    Especially while burning $4 a gallon gas!

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    1.8. Thinking a stop sign is just a suggestion. It's NOT! Take the 30 seconds to stop. If you are in that much of a hurry-leave earlier!
    Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign???
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest complaint is that all offenses aren't ticketed evenly. The only offense that seems to get a ticket is speeding. I've seen people run red lights and not get tickets but speeding most of the time gets you a ticket. If you don't follow the law then you should get a ticket no matter what it is.

I would like to see more cops in school zones. I find in Tennessee that is the one place where people speed and don't get tickets. There are rarely cops at the school zones here.

Ian - I don't stop for 30 secs. I do come to a complete stop but not for 30. If you stopped for 30 here someone would reend you to get you to move.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign???
    In Philadelphia we do something called the "South Philly slide." Basically, you don't come to a complete stop, but you slow down enough that you're going like 1 mph. It's plenty of time to look both ways and see if the way is clear without causing any danger to any one or any other car. I've gotten tickets for doing this before because you're supposed to come to a "complete" stop. I could see if I breezed right on through, but I did pretty much stop for the most part that it really shouldn't be ticketed. That's just a pet peeve, because it's completely subconscious and not at all intentional. It's just the way a lot of people learned to drive in the city and surrounding suburbs. If it's good enough to pass the driver's test, then it shouldn't be ticketable!!!!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten tickets for doing this before because you're supposed to come to a "complete" stop. I could see if I breezed right on through, but I did pretty much stop for the most part that it really shouldn't be ticketed. That's just a pet peeve, because it's completely subconscious and not at all intentional.

Hello, it's a stop sign not a pretty much do as you see fit sign!

If this is how you were trained to drive I would have called the driving school and complained if I were your parent. In fact I did this with my own son! The driving school didn't think he needed the observation part of his driving instruction "because he's such a good driver" I told them that it was the law and if they were not going to give him what I paid for then they could reimberse me the difference. He got the full training!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post

If this is how you were trained to drive I would have called the driving school and complained if I were your parent. In fact I did this with my own son! The driving school didn't think he needed the observation part of his driving instruction "because he's such a good driver" I told them that it was the law and if they were not going to give him what I paid for then they could reimberse me the difference. He got the full training!
    It's how EVERYONE drives around here. Maybe 1 out of every 200 cars will completely stop. They even tell you on the driver's test that they won't fail you for sliding. Whether you get a ticket or not around here depends on if its near the end of the month and an officer needs to fill out his quota!!!

It's definitely a regional thing. I'm just saying they need to ticket everyone or no one at all for doing the slide!
    Janine
    -----------------
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    It's how EVERYONE drives around here. Maybe 1 out of every 200 cars will completely stop. They even tell you on the driver's test that they won't fail you for sliding. Whether you get a ticket or not around here depends on if its near the end of the month and an officer needs to fill out his quota!!!

It's definitely a regional thing. I'm just saying they need to ticket everyone or no one at all for doing the slide!
    You are right then, they do need to ticket everyone.
    Just because "everyone" does it does not make it right or legal.

The old adage "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you?" comes to mind.
    It is this kind of mentality that got the world where it is today, "if you can't beat em, join em."

IF people started following the rules of the road maybe others would follow as well.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm picking on you or singling you out but, The reason they put laws into effect was for safety, not convienence.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

My mom once got ticketed for "sliding" (when she DID actually come to a complete stop) on EASTER in South Philly. My brother and I were about 7 and 11dressed in our finest and this cop pulls us over on our way to church. I'll never forget it.

Anyway, I live there too and I didn't slide through my driver's test, but yea everyone pretty much does it. I generally stop, but just for clarification the law isn't stop for 30 seconds (at least not around here). It's stop completely, look left, right, left again and proceed (or right, left, right depending on where traffic is coming from).
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I generally stop, but just for clarification the law isn't stop for 30 seconds (at least not around here). It's stop completely, look left, right, left again and proceed (or right, left, right depending on where traffic is coming from).
    Exactly! My point is that you can slowly roll (barely even moving) and still look left, right, and left. There's nothing unsafe about it if you slide properly! It's the people that breeze on through that cause problems! I feel that if anyone is ticketed, it should be the breezers! I guess you just need to be from the city to understand...

Another point - in the NE part of the city we have stop signs at every gosh darn corner. It's a little bit overkill. It takes like a 20 minutes to go down the street!!

Another random pet peeve as well - the city is paving a lot of streets around here lately, but not the ones that are riddled with pot holes! You would think those streets would be the first priorities!
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously a little common sense needs to be injected into the whole stop sign conversation.

I think most people are reasonably intelligent and fully capable of differentiating between when a full stop is required and when a "slide" is acceptable.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=J9;1660644]Exactly! My point is that you can slowly roll (barely even moving) and still look left, right, and left. There's nothing unsafe about it if you slide properly! It's the people that breeze on through that cause problems! I feel that if anyone is ticketed, it should be the breezers! I guess you just need to be from the city to understand...
    QUOTE]

The same argument could be made that if you go slow and look left and right then it should be okay to turn left on red, or go straight through a red light if no one else is coming.

Why should we have to sit at a red light wasting gas if I stop, look left, look right, if no one is coming then I can run the light. It can be done safely so there shouldn't be a problem!

A complete stop means a complete stop, i.e. the vehicle comes to a complete stop, the wheels stop and there is no forward motion.

Another argument would be, why on a straight away if there is a double solid yellow line and no one is coming in the opposite direction can I not pass a slow moving car? I know it's the law that you can't but if it can be done safely then why not?

Just because it is something that may or may not be done regionally does not make it safe or legal. What happens with your bad habits when you leave Philly? It is hard to "untrain" yourself, so if you are driving through my neighborhood or someone elses and you"slide" instead of stop do you explain to the cop that it's okay, it's regional and acceptable where I live?
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously a little common sense needs to be injected into the whole stop sign conversation.

I think most people are reasonably intelligent and fully capable of differentiating between when a full stop is required and when a "slide" is acceptable.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection.
    Your last sentence is exactly the reason why it is NOT acceptable to "slide" through a stop sign. If there were no cars anywhere to be seen, then where was the cop? I'll tell you where - in a marked police car at the same intersection where you (I’m using “you” generally, not "you" specifically)just rolled through a stop sign without stopping. And you didn't see the police car? How careful are you being if you don't even see a police car? and if you miss a police car, what else could you be missing? Kids, pedestrians, bicyclists and pets are all a whole lot less conspicuous than police cars....

And on the off chance that you did see the police car and decided to roll through the stop sign anyway, you deserve a ticket, if just for the arrogance…

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw the so-called "slide" listed in Pennsylvania's Vehicle Code.
    I used to love sitting in a marked car, plainly visible,about 50' downthe side street, in broad daylight, in good weather.
    It was like shooting fish in a barrel.
    The surprising thing was that most of those that I stopped and wrote were locals.
    The same boobs that would cry at the commissioners meetings that the police never patrol their neighborhood.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

-
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeRX View Post
    Your last sentence is exactly the reason why it is NOT acceptable to "slide" through a stop sign. If there were no cars anywhere to be seen, then where was the cop? I'll tell you where - in a marked police car at the same intersection where you (I’m using “you” generally, not "you" specifically)just rolled through a stop sign without stopping.
    Uh ... there's a marked difference between a police car clandestinely parked somewhere waiting for people to run a stop sign and cars waiting at an interesection to cross the street.

Again ... I'm a pretty smart and savvy guy. I can tell the difference. Can everyone? No. I'm just talking about me.

Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. For those people I recommend ... don't try it. Ditto the slide.

And if I get a ticket then yes ... I deserve it. I didn't say I didn't ... I just said I thought it was stupid. Traffic tickets are, by and large, a revenue generator and nothing more.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Driving too slowly under the limit and tailgating.
    \|||/
    (o o)
    ----ooO-(_)-Ooo----

Post Thanks / Like

As a pedestrian that has to cross a 4 way stop intersection daily - I am very anti-slide through the stop sign. I am appalled at how many drivers do that when people are walking across the street and I am convinced this is where I am going to meet my death. It takes what - 5 seconds to come to a complete stop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    As a pedestrian that has to cross a 4 way stop intersection daily - I am very anti-slide through the stop sign. I am appalled at how many drivers do that when people are walking across the street and I am convinced this is where I am going to meet my death. It takes what - 5 seconds to come to a complete stop?
    This is another matter entirely. Pedestrians always have the right of way - at least in crosswalks!!! (I almost saw some high schooler get hit today because he decided it would be better to run through 3 lanes of traffic rather than wait for his light to turn green. He wasn't even near the crosswalk either! And then he LAUGHED about it!)
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

This is another matter entirely. Pedestrians always have the right of way - at least in crosswalks!!! (I almost saw some high schooler get hit today because he decided it would be better to run through 3 lanes of traffic rather than wait for his light to turn green. He wasn't even near the crosswalk either! And then he LAUGHED about it!)
    This really annoys me. When people just walk out in the road even when their is a crossing not a minute away
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

You would think that pedestrians lawfully walking in the cross walk with the right of way wouldn't have to worry about cars not stopping. But I think the mentality that it's not a big deal when no one is around just sticks with some drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragongirlx View Post
    This really annoys me. When people just walk out in the road even when their is a crossing not a minute away
    I agree 100% This was part of my original answer to this question...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    For pedestrians...jay walking. I cannot tell you how many people I see crossing against lights into oncoming traffic which is dangerous for them & the driver. I am 100% sure in a showdown between a car and a pedestrian - the car will win everytime! I think waiting for the light to change is worth the wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Ian. A "slide" is never acceptable at a stop sign. It's a "Stop" sign, not a "Slide" sign. If it was a slide sign, it wouldn't say "Stop".

Can't say I have ever seen a "Slide" sign. Maybe a "Yield" sign, but never a "Slide" sign.

In the Niagara region of Ontario, much of the area is rural with lots of stop sign intersections. Nobody seems to pay attention to them and have attempted lots of slides. I think there were about 10 fatal accidents at these "Slide" signs last year. Many of these were young people. Very sad.

As for "reasonably intelligent", give me a break! Most people leave their brains at home when they leave for work. Why else are they driving at 140 km/h while shaving, talking on the phone and reading a book all at the same time while lighting a smoke and weaving in and around traffic and yelling at everyone else for being idiots on the road? If people were reasonably intelligent, I would be out of a job!

Sorry. Ranting. EVERY motor vehicle collision and most fires I have attended were caused by "reasonably intelligent" people.

"Hey! I got an idea! Let's burn out that wasp's nest in the eaves with a propane torch right near the incoming electric lines while standing on an aluminum ladder!"

There are NO ACCIDENTS!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: