Quantcast Who Has Cancelled Their Trip Due To Fuel Prices ?? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that I have figured that it will cost me about $400.00 for fuel for me to bring our 38' 5th wheel and we actualy live in Florida. (Pensacola) But that being said it is still alot cheaper than staying at a resort. You have to consider the amount you will save on food alone as we all know it is not cheap to eat at WDW. Even with the DP you still have breakfast. Free Dining is not an option for us as we have AP's. Dont realy know when and if we will be going but I know so far have not had any problem finding a spot.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say sorry to hear about your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

After a lot of figuring we decided to cancel our Disney camping trip and stay at a moderate resort. We will be traveling from Maryland and decided that the fuel prices and the wear and tear on our vehicle was just too much. I was really looking forward to FW, oh well maybe another time. FW is not the only campng trip we had to cancel, we are trying to stay close to home with our camper this year.

Post Thanks / Like

We just drove to Disney to deliver our son up as one of their newest Cast Members. He was moving into an apt. with some room mates and we stayed with him, so we did not have a room bill. It cost us 700.00 there and back to fill up our 44 gallon Excursion with diesel. We actually got 19 mpg on the way home. We were thrilled. Pulling our trailer would have gotten us about 8 mpg and cost of around 1500.00 for gas. We only spent 1400.00 on our first Disney trip!!!

We went over to Ft. W to eat at Trails End and it was pretty full in the loops. We went on Sunday for lunch for Fathers Day and Monday night again. We saw very few open sites. It is still cheaper than a room and buying all your food, but when the cost of your gas is about the same as your tickets....then that is too high.

Our next Disney trip will be in January for a conference and we will book a flight and hope we can get a good price. This is so rediculous.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t see the price of fuel dropping drastically so as long as we have our camper payment we will continue to use it. I was not happy about spending $800 in fuel for our April trip but I always budget high and build in a little extra for our big trips. At the same time for our weekend get-aways I have been narrowing our selections to those that are within a 150 mile radius.
    November 2010 - Fort Wilderness
    August 2008 – Pop
    April 2008 – Fort Wilderness
    November 2004 – Off Site – Cypress Point Resort

Post Thanks / Like

You know what...NOTHING is going to stop us from going in December!! When we bought our new RV (Class B) we knew gas mileage would be an issue and that gas prices would only rise. It was part of the factoring into our budget. What we have done is to cut back on our every weekend local camping trips and space them out to about once a month.

We made the decision long ago that WDW/FtW would be at least an annual event and so far we have made it come true. Although we may cut back on the parks some to save costs, we will increase visits to the resorts, which at Christmas time are beautiful attractions in themselves.

As long as I can swipe my card and pump my gas, I will keep making a Disney trek even if is $10.00 a gallon. (just don't tell OPEC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    I'm hoping that because we're going in the winter, diesel prices will have leveled off or maybe even gone down a little.
    Diesel prices coming down in the winter would be an anomaly. Diesel prices usually go down in the summer and and then become higher in the winter. Diesel is a type 2 distillate, like home heating oil, so there is higher demand in the colder months, resulting in higher prices.

Since there are few passenger vehicles (not including pickups) in the U.S. that run on diesel, diesel doesn't have the same price cycle as gasoline. The cycle of diesel prices is that they would be at their lowest in the summer, start to increase in the autumn (due to the fall harvest and then when people fuel their oil tanks at home), peak at the winter because of home heating oil being at it's highest demand, and then decrease after spring planting.

I've owned a diesel VW for the past three plus years and this has pretty much been my experience. With fuel prices increasing at a ridiculous rate for the past year, diesel prices should level off over the summer, but come winter they should go even higher than they are now and become really painful.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel prices

Quote Originally Posted by RocklandRVers View Post
    You know what...NOTHING is going to stop us from going in December!!
    We made the decision long ago that WDW/FtW would be at least an annual event and so far we have made it come true. Although we may cut back on the parks some to save costs, we will increase visits to the resorts, which at Christmas time are beautiful attractions in themselves.
    I agree with you 1,000 %! While fuel prices are making us change the way we do things and limiting where or how often we go we're just not giving up, yet. Christmas away from Fort Wilderness would be like peanutbutter and jelly for Thanksgiving or 'trick or treating' for rocks.
    I'm sorry to those whe have had to cancel but hopefully you will get to reschedule in the near future.
    Bless you, Terri
    1979 to 1987 Offsite
    1988 to 1991 CB, DL & PO. Ft Wilderness campsite 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 2000 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 Xmas & New Year every year & at least 2 or more other visits per year. July & Oct 08

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    Diesel prices coming down in the winter would be an anomaly. Diesel prices usually go down in the summer and and then become higher in the winter. Diesel is a type 2 distillate, like home heating oil, so there is higher demand in the colder months, resulting in higher prices.

Since there are few passenger vehicles (not including pickups) in the U.S. that run on diesel, diesel doesn't have the same price cycle as gasoline. The cycle of diesel prices is that they would be at their lowest in the summer, start to increase in the autumn (due to the fall harvest and then when people fuel their oil tanks at home), peak at the winter because of home heating oil being at it's highest demand, and then decrease after spring planting.

I've owned a diesel VW for the past three plus years and this has pretty much been my experience. With fuel prices increasing at a ridiculous rate for the past year, diesel prices should level off over the summer, but come winter they should go even higher than they are now and become really painful.
    Also adding to the high price of diesel is the fact that all the power plants in China run on diesel. This causes high demand year-round.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking to a CM when I got our hotel reserved and she said quite a few people have cancelled at FW. I feel bad for anyone this happened to, this might be the only vacation that some people were taking this year and probably the one they most look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunely we have cancelled all other trips our camper will be making one trip to the fort this year and probably won't go anywhere else yeah becuase of gas we made our trip to FW longer since we have APs that are still good we are going to pay the same for gas if we stay for a few days or 15 so we opted for cancelling all other trips and extending our 10 day trip to a 15 and that will be our only vacation instead of a smaller disney and several long weekends just hope gas levels off or don't think it will happen but dropping would be great
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Camper View Post
    unfortunely we have cancelled all other trips our camper will be making one trip to the fort this year and probably won't go anywhere else yeah becuase of gas we made our trip to FW longer since we have APs that are still good we are going to pay the same for gas if we stay for a few days or 15 so we opted for cancelling all other trips and extending our 10 day trip to a 15 and that will be our only vacation instead of a smaller disney and several long weekends just hope gas levels off or don't think it will happen but dropping would be great
    I don't think you're alone in your thinking. I've been hearing quite a bit of the same. The gas may not stop people from going to the Fort, but they are cutting back in other ways to make the trip happen. Many are vacationing closer to home or not at all. Makes sense to exend the trip for as long as you can, considering..as you say the gas is going to cost you the same whether you stay for a short time or a longer trip of 15 days. May as well get your monies worth! Enjoy your trip!
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Our family did the Disney Cruise this past April, so that was a big part of our budget. It took us over a year to save for the cruise, which was actually two years, if your consider they resie we made a year ahead of time. SHrotly after the cruise, we purchased a travel trailer, which we hoped to tow up north for our vacation this July. Gas prices did change that, so we our doing a staycation at FW and making the best of it. More money saved for the AIG account to do this full time.
    Trips
    WDW-------1998 Offsite
    POR-------- 06/99
    ASMv------ 03/02
    CSR-------- 07/03
    ASMu------ 12/04
    ASMv------ 12/05
    CSR-------- 07/06
    FWH------- 12/06
    ASMv------ 03/07
    CSR-------- 07/07
    POP-------- 12/07
    POP-------- 01/08
    DCL-------- 04/08 DW 4 nights (1st cruise)
    FW -------- 07/08

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain with the fuel prices. I didn't cancel our trip (we leave in 14 days) BUT I did cancel most of our sit down meals. We usually do a character dinner each night and now we are only doing 4 or 5. Last year it only cost me 350.00 round trip in gas to drive (1326 miles) this year AAA estimates it's going to cost $627.00.
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We are still committed to getting our Disney fix this Christmas. Our plan is to spend time elaborately decorating our site, doing more BBQing and eating out less to save money. We also have some old tickets with some plusses left on them to do a waterpark or Pleasure Island as well. We also plan on towing down a car so we don't have to rent one. All this should offset the extra gas prices. Who knows what may happen. Depending on the election in November we might see gas prices a little lower or at least stable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel prices

We are still committed to getting our Disney fix this Christmas.

RocklandRVers, just curious, do you stay in the same loop every Christmas? Through the years we have met so many familys that are there the same time every year, just wondering if we've met.
    Bless you, Terri
    1979 to 1987 Offsite
    1988 to 1991 CB, DL & PO. Ft Wilderness campsite 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 2000 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 Xmas & New Year every year & at least 2 or more other visits per year. July & Oct 08

Post Thanks / Like

We usually prefer the 1900 loop and request it each time we go. We liked it because it is farther away from the action and tended to be less busy and more quiet. That has changed a bit since the massive cutting down of the foliage and trees in the loops and between sites that gave us a sense of privacy and reduced the noise. When we were there in February, we could see clear across to the 1600, 1700 and 1800 loops. When the foliage was thick we couldn't see the comfort station and not much beyond a site right next door or across the way. Still we like 1900 and will continue to ask for it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: