Quantcast Going back to Maine this summer! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
    In OOB, there are several parking lots. There are meters, but that can be cumbersome. There are lots where you pay a flat fee for the day and you pay when parking the car. In my opinion, this is the best way to go.

People are coming and going all day, so you shouldn't have a problem finding parking in the lots. The meters can be hard to find.

Make sure you indulge in pier fries and Bill's Pizza...they are a local staple

The Comfort Suites is brand new within the last 3 years. We have gone swimming there during the winter...they let locals pay to use the pool.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!
    I definately agree about the parking but the reason I wanted to chime in again was for the pier fries......with lots of vinegar.....
    Sorry, I think I drooled on the keyboard. Now I'll have to hit OOB this weekend when I'm moving DD from saco to our house.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Loving this!

DH and I are heading to Maine the middle of July. This is a last minute decision so I have very little plans....actually I have nothing but a Frommer's New England Book. We are flying into Portland. The only place in Maine I have ever visited is Kittery when I spent the summer at Exeter so I am enjoying the ideas from this post!
    Keep those suggestions coming!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RocknBev View Post
    DH and I are heading to Maine the middle of July. This is a last minute decision so I have very little plans....actually I have nothing but a Frommer's New England Book. We are flying into Portland. The only place in Maine I have ever visited is Kittery when I spent the summer at Exeter so I am enjoying the ideas from this post!
    Keep those suggestions coming!
    Oh goodie! Feel free to PM me with any questions or tips!

What city are you staying in?
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm thrilled with all of the discussion generated by this post. I'm glad there are so many out there that like to visit Maine, as I do, and I am thankful to those that have offered advice. I hope to hear more from all of you.

I will certainly write a trip report when I get back, so stay tuned. The trip isn't for six more weeks or so, so look for it at the end of August.

We are going to be in Maine for six days, certainly not enough to even scratch the surface of this amazing state! Here are some of the things we are hoping to do.

* We have reservations for a Whale Watch out of Portland.
    * Visit Portland Headlight, and any other lighthouse within striking distance.
    * Visit the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray.
    * Visit the pier at Old Orchard Beach and Palace Playland.
    * Funtown/Splashtown.
    * Maybe spend a little time on the beach.

Things I hope we might fit in somehow:
    * Visit the Portland Obsevatory and shop Old Port
    * Visit York and the Nubble Lighthouse
    * Take the kids to Portland's Children's museum (looking like a longshot now.)

Things we decided to skip:
    * A Portland Sea Dogs game, which we hope to do in the future.

Anyone have info about the Children's museum?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    * Take the kids to Portland's Children's museum (looking like a longshot now.)

Anyone have info about the Children's museum?

Not sure when you will be here, but here's an FYI. The Children's museum is free on the first friday of every month from 6p-8p.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another suggestion. To free up some time to get to York and the Nubble lighthouse, you may think about skipping the drive up to Gray and go to York's Wild Animal Kingdom instead. I personnaly like the park in Gray better, the animals there are all local animals that have been taken there to be rehabilitated, but if you want to save time the one in York can be fun too. They also have an amusement park area with rides.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen2006 View Post
    Here's another suggestion. To free up some time to get to York and the Nubble lighthouse, you may think about skipping the drive up to Gray and go to York's Wild Animal Kingdom instead. I personnaly like the park in Gray better, the animals there are all local animals that have been taken there to be rehabilitated, but if you want to save time the one in York can be fun too. They also have an amusement park area with rides.
    Thank you for the suggestion. As tempting as it might be to visit York's Wild Kingdom, it was one of the things we did last year on our trip there. As much as I'd like to go again, I'm not sure if my wife is interested. We do both wish to see the Nubble, and would like to shop and eat in York again.

As for Gray, the reasons you mention for loving it are exactly why I want to go there! I actually considered skipping the whale watch to fit it in, because we could go out on a whale watch from Boston, Cape Cod, or New Bedford anytime, while a visit with Maine's authentic local wildlife only comes once in a blue moon. I would love to see a full grown bull moose! Any idea if there's one at the Me Wildlife Park?

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions and tidbits coming.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you were going whale watching. Can you see more whales if you go futher north? I went whale watching off the coast of Portsmoth NH once in '92. We spent 3-4 hours on that stupid boat and I think I saw one whale tail...in addition I was ...sea sickness is NOT fun. And you would not believe what they served for lunch on the boat....some sort of seafood sandwich. I was green like seaweed before it was over!
    Anyway, I would love to take DH since he has never been but I want to see more than one tail if I am risking tossing my cookies for the afternoon!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

My boy's just drove up to Old Orchard Beach last weekend for a couple of hours.

They stopped in at Hampton beach to say hello to their aunt ( Who offered to take them out for dinner, the oldest said no! Turns out he wanted to meet up with a friend in Maine)
    then drove to OOB to use the arcade and my oldest met up with a "friend".
    They had a great time.... oh, did I mention that they used MY $40.00 of gas that I had just put in my van
    We Live in M A.
    I told them they could take the van for the day but I didn't expect them to really go to MAINE!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    I would love to see a full grown bull moose!
    Last time I was there they had one, and he was huge! I also got there at feeding time for the fawns and the moose calves they had...adorable! I love that place.

Also it's great to see them in the wild. If you were staying longer (and further from the coast) I could give you some Moose safari suggestions. Maybe next time!
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

to be fair crazy pooh bear, WE didn't expect to go to Maine either! haha
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" - Jason Lee as Brodie Bruce in "MALLRATS"!

RESORTS STAYED AT:
    Old Key West
    Dixie Landings (yeah, I'm old school)
    Beach Club Villas
    Caribbean Beach
    All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy! View Post
    to be fair crazy pooh bear, WE didn't expect to go to Maine either! haha
    True enough!

That's what I love about you guys, you'll pick up and go at a moments notice.

Hummm, maybe NYC in the next couple of weeks??? Perhaps you and Joe could take a saturday off and we will go for the day?
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from my week in Kennebunkport and had a great time. Do you Mainers know how lucky you are in the summer, weather-wise ?? It's so humid back here in New York, up there we stayed in a place with no A/C and it was so comfortable, 80's during the day, low 60's at night. Slept like a baby....

Darth Macho, if you really like lighthouses (I am a lighthouse freak, my uncle was the lighthouse keeper at Goat Island Light in Cape Porpoise when I was a kid and I've been hooked ever since visiting him) you should really visit the Lighthouse Depot store on Route 1 in Wells, they have so much great stuff you could spend hours in there.

Also my family and I discovered our new favorite Maine treat - Wicked Whoopie Pies !!! They come in twelve different flavors like Red Velvet, Pumpkin, Banana and a whole bunch more. My favorite was Oatmeal. We found them in a store in Freeport and bought the place out. You have to be sure they are Wicked Whoopies, I've tried others and these are THE BEST !!! They also sell them in any Hannfords, but they don't have all the flavors.

I really love Maine - it is truly the way life should be !!!
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

i remember being in Maine and making fun of the name Kennebunkport.....seriously why not just call it Metroport, or Centralport....Kennebunk?
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" - Jason Lee as Brodie Bruce in "MALLRATS"!

RESORTS STAYED AT:
    Old Key West
    Dixie Landings (yeah, I'm old school)
    Beach Club Villas
    Caribbean Beach
    All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    Just got back from my week in Kennebunkport and had a great time. Do you Mainers know how lucky you are in the summer, weather-wise ?? It's so humid back here in New York, up there we stayed in a place with no A/C and it was so comfortable, 80's during the day, low 60's at night. Slept like a baby....

Darth Macho, if you really like lighthouses (I am a lighthouse freak, my uncle was the lighthouse keeper at Goat Island Light in Cape Porpoise when I was a kid and I've been hooked ever since visiting him) you should really visit the Lighthouse Depot store on Route 1 in Wells, they have so much great stuff you could spend hours in there.

Also my family and I discovered our new favorite Maine treat - Wicked Whoopie Pies !!! They come in twelve different flavors like Red Velvet, Pumpkin, Banana and a whole bunch more. My favorite was Oatmeal. We found them in a store in Freeport and bought the place out. You have to be sure they are Wicked Whoopies, I've tried others and these are THE BEST !!! They also sell them in any Hannfords, but they don't have all the flavors.

I really love Maine - it is truly the way life should be !!!
    Hi! Could you (or anyone else that might know) explain more about Wicked Whoopies? Is there a specific place to get them? Or are they readily available in ME? It's not a specific bakery that sells them? Thanks!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

You can see them at www.wickedwhoopies.com
    They sell some flavors at Hannfords Supermarkets which are all over Maine and they have a store in Freeport where they sell everything. Their main location is in Gardiner Maine.

They are really delicious, I am hooked. My brothers just got back this week and brought me a few home.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like it is taking forever to get here, but I suppose that's the price yo pay for planning a vacation for the second half of the summer, but nonetheless it is less than three weeks away until we leave.

We're already off to a bad start with the spending though as we haven't even left yet and we've spent $500! (A vacation clothes shopping spree at Kohl's, where everything was on "sale.") Oh well, we all needed the stuff, so I can't complain.

I'm already fretting over the weather. This long string of rainy (thunderstorm ridden) days scares me a little about a potential washout, seeing how we have so many outdoor activities planned. I shouldn't think about it, but I can't help myself.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this post, but remember it's not closed. I'd like to hear anything at all about Maine. After all, I have a two and a half weeks to go!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: