Quantcast Melbourne could be showcased at Disney World food fair

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Melbourne could be showcased at Disney World food fair

Melbourne on show to foodies
    Hamish Heard
    Herald Sun

25Jun08

INTERNATIONAL CLAIM: Fresh food lover Misti Dullard at the Queen Victoria Market, which is set to be recreated in Florida.

MELBOURNE will be put on show as one of the world's top food destinations if a bid to recreate the city's laneways and markets at Disney World in Florida is successful.

Tourism Victoria confirmed Melbourne was vying for the right to be featured as one of the world's four great food cities when the biggest food festival on the planet kicks off in September.

The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival attracts more than 1.3 million visitors to Florida's Walt Disney World Resort each year.

Tourism Victoria marketing director Don Richter said Disney had invited Victoria to bid because of its reputation as a food and wine destination.

"This is a great way to showcase Melbourne and Victoria to the world," he said.

The bid includes a plan to recreate Melbourne's laneways at the festival, according to a report to Melbourne councillors.

The laneways would lead visitors past displays of street art and into a main exhibition area where a food and wine tasting area would give visitors a Queen Victoria Market experience.

While the final four great food cities of the world would not be known until the end of this month, the report to council said frontrunners included New Orleans, Copenhagen and Rio de Janeiro.

Other festival highlights will include more than 2000 food and wine seminars and dining events that would feature Melbourne chefs, winemakers and products.

The festival will cost state and federal governments and Victorian food and wine producers nearly $1 million if the bid is successful, according to the report.

Melbourne councillors two weeks ago rejected a request by Tourism Victoria to tip $100,000 into the project.

Cr Fiona Sneddon, the only councillor to vote in favour of the council supporting the bid, said she hoped Melbourne would not miss out because of the decision.

"It's disappointing that my colleagues didn't support the proposal because this type of event is what we need to put Melbourne's hospitality offer on the world stage," Cr Sneddon said.

"It is a known fact that Melbourne breeds innovation in food styles and creativity and we need to keep our eyes on the ball to retain that recognition."

The festival runs from September 26 to November 9
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Uh, maybe it's just because I'm not from the area or something but, when I think world class food and dining opportunities, Melbourne, Florida isn't exactly the first place that comes to mind.

Perhaps I'm missing out?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne, Australia silly.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    1) I didn't know there was another one, other than in Florida.
    2) Besides, Melbourne, Florida has an accent I can understand.
    3) The only "Barbie" they know is a friend of "Ken".
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Ummmmm.....yeah....it's definitely Australia. Forget the accent, shrimp on the barbie and Fosters...woo-HOO! Of course, a big reason for this would be to show eveyone the Melbourne, Australia has more to offer than that.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Okay, aside from the fact that I feel moderately silly ( ), I still stand by my original statement, slightly modified.

I don't think of Melbourne, Australia when I think of top dining destinations across the globe.

Rome, Paris, New York, Tokyo ... not Melbourne.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Okay, aside from the fact that I feel moderately silly (
    I've always thought of you as moderately silly

Sorry, couldn't pass that up....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think of Melbourne, Australia when I think of top dining destinations across the globe.

Now for the serious answer. That's exactly why they want to be featured. They want to change opinions...

Post Thanks / Like

According to Wikipedia, Melbourne is Austalia's second most populous city, with 3.8 million residents. Just in case anyone wanted to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is already an Italy pavillion, a France pavillion, and a Japan pavillion that will showcase food for the F&WF, so basically why have another one? They want to showcase regions that aren't already well-known and represented is WS. And, New York dining already encompasses all of those types of cuisine (), so again, why showcase it? I think they are trying to expand people's ideas of fine cuisine by choosing regions that most people wouldn't know as being fine dining destinations.

I look forward to seeing what is available in October. We love the F&WF!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you read the news release again, it shows how highly thought of the Food & Wine Festival must be. Disney isn't courting them, Tourism Victoria is asking to be in the festival. Pretty cool. I know most of us know how great the F&WF is, but on the other side of the world....

Post Thanks / Like

G'day there - valjane's husband piping up here to defend my hometown. Well, not defend, but maybe to enlighten

As a native of Melbourne I might be a bit biased, but Melbourne is renowned in Australia as the 'food capital' of the country and has been featured in (I think) National Geographic Traveler, or some other large travel publication, as one of the ten best 'food cities' in the world. The Queen Victoria Market mentioned in the article is often called out as one of the world's great fresh food markets (and believe me, it's massive and has an incredible variety of food).

The city has an enormous array of quality restaurants, and believe it or not has some of the world's best Thai and Chinese (the Flower Drum restaurant is sometimes rated as the world's best Cantonese restaurant). There is a very large Greek and Italian population that emigrated after WWII who have contributed enormously to the diversity of the city. It also helps to have three or four fantastic wine-producing areas nearby (particularly the Yarra Valley).

Anyway, not to ramble on too much, just trying to let you know there is a good reason why Melbourne would be featured in the festival - forty years ago it was a culinary backwater, but with all the European and Asian immigration and a much more sophisticated populace, I can guarantee that Melbourne is a much better place to eat than you might imagine. The seafood is fabulous, too!

If you google 'Melbourne' and 'food cities' or something similar then you should be able to find articles about it. Thanks for reading
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

valjane...

Thanks for the info! Now I really can't wait to see what foods they would offer should they get to be a part of the F&WF! I love Thai food!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

DD and I just went to Australia and for two weeks it was wonderful. I would agree that Melbourne is wonderful and offers some delightful food.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Well Melbourne, Australia is my home town so I may be biased – but Melbourne certainly is the food capital of Australia and has an international reputation. (which may not extend to the US  )
    Melbourne hosts the Melbourne International Food and Wine Festival each year, whichj is one of the largest Food and Wine festivals in the world

It is home to some of the world’s best restaurants, like the Flower Drum, and is attracting several celebrity chefs – Jaime Oliver has a Fifteen restaurant here and Gordon Ramsey is opening a restaurant here shortly.

The Yarra Valley, 40 minutes drive from downtown Melbourne produces some of Australia’s best wines.
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

A question to Valjane's husband and MickeyD. What kind of local food could we expect? Obviously the fact that Melbourne has great Greek, Italian and other ethnic restaurants doesn't help here. Other than the stereotypes Shrimp on the Barbie and Fosters, what can we look forward too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    A question to Valjane's husband and MickeyD. What kind of local food could we expect? Obviously the fact that Melbourne has great Greek, Italian and other ethnic restaurants doesn't help here. Other than the stereotypes Shrimp on the Barbie and Fosters, what can we look forward too?

Just in case this doesn't read the way I intend it. I really am interested in what the local cuisine would be in Melbourne. While I enjoy sarcasm, there is none here.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say what sort of local food will be on display - arguably, 'local' would probably now describe the mixture of old-fashioned cuisines (Greek, Italian, Chinese, etc.) that takes advantage of Australian ingredients. That is pretty much was the best restaurants in Melbourne do. It's not all just old-world stuff. There is quite a large market for gourmet variations on old favourites like meat pies and so forth, too, so it probably wont all be international-type foods.

I guess if the city wins its bid, we'll find out!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see it. I'd be interested in the cuisine. The wierd part about these festivals for folks that live in or are familiar with the countries, is just what you were saying. When I was in Ireland, my favorite restaurant in Dublin was a French restaurant. Well, that certainly wouldn't be something you put in a festival as from Ireland. So many citiies are such melting pots.

OK, now that I'm done rambling, I hope Melbourne gets in...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Just in case this doesn't read the way I intend it. I really am interested in what the local cuisine would be in Melbourne. While I enjoy sarcasm, there is none here.

I agree with Valjane. It's hard to point to many specific dishes that originate in Melbourne. I suppose Melbourne food could be described as a fusion of various cultures such as Vietnamese, CHinese, Thai, Mediterrainian, Moroccan etc.

There is a big BBQ culture, so perhaps some BBQ dishes. We regularly have BBQ Kangaroo, which if prepared correclty is great. It is very lean meat - but can be tough if you cook it too much (eg well done. Roo is best medium)

Other 'Australian' dishes may include Pavlova (the New Zealanders will argue that it's one of theirs!), Lamingtons or Anzac cookies.

Meat Pies would have to be up there, and perhaps rack of lamb.

Melbourne produces some of Australia's best wine and cheeses, so I'd expect to see some of that.

A new trend here is to incorporate bush spices into dishes, such as Lemon Myrtle, wattleseed and bush pepper. Maybe that could be incorporated. Oh, and macadamia nuts originated in Australia
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: