Quantcast What's with all of these charges on Spiritair flight?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's with all of these charges on Spiritair flight?

I feel like I am being raked over the coals with all of these fees,esp. since I have to pay for my seat assignment,what does the darn ticket pay for!!! I know it's for the gas increase but come on already!!!
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Spirit used to have a hub in Detroit, but they are scaling back operations significantly from DTW. They used to be a "low-cost" carrier, but ever since they reduced operations in Detroit, their costs have skyrocketed. It's much cheaper to fly NWA to Orlando. Add up their higher costs and the additional fees, and you typically pay $300 to fly RT from DTW to MCO on Spirit. Not to mention I find flying with them even worse than with NWA....
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that spirit is cheaper. We fly out of Atlantic City and the parking is cheaper than newark or phila. Also if you join their club you get e-mails on their deals. We were able to fly June and it only cost 18 per ticket plus taxes - I think for the four of us altogether it was less than 200. We already got our tickets for oct and they were only 500 for the 4 of us. Still better than the major airlines. AND they are always on time - no delays ever
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Spirit has become horrible. DH and I used to like them because they had good prices and the flight times always worked for us. We were going to fly with them on our upcoming trip but the additional fees for baggage and other incidentals added up to more than the actual ticket. Luckily they cancelled one of my flights so I was able to get a full refund on nonrefundable tickets and switched over to Northwest Airlines. The customer service at Spirit was horrible also. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told no and hung up on. I won't being flying with them again.

Post Thanks / Like

For an airline that is able to offer $8 fares they have make up the money some how. It actually amazes me that they are able to do this and still be in business. Even with all of their fees I still can't wrap my head around their business model.

Also, it isn't just Spirit Airlines that is charing extra fees anymore. With the exception of Southwest all of them are doing it. Want to check a second bag? $15 please. A couple of airlines are now charging for even the first bag just like Spirit. Want to reserve a seat ahead of time? $5 please. US Airways is charing for beverages as well. Want a can of Coke? $2 please.

Nowadays anytime you fly you need to take a look what extra fees you might have to pay and take them into account.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

My wife told me about the charges for our up coming Aug trip. My reaction? Nothing you can do. Do I like it? No, but the airline business models have been stomped on and thrown in the trash. Kind of like most families energy budgets. Just wait, things will really change if the cost of energy does not come down. You aint seen nothing yet.

I wonder how WDW will change with the high cost of energy? How many families are not attending due to travel costs skyrocketing? Bus service? You would think that has to be cut back at WDW.
    Ralph
    1996: CB (Oct)
    1997: PO (Sept)
    1998: PO (Sept)
    1999: Poly/BC (Aug)
    2000: PO/BC (Sept)
    2001: BC (Aug)
    2002: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Dec)
    2005: BC (June)
    2006: BC (Aug)
    2008: YC (Aug)
    2012: YC (Sept)
    2013: BC (Sept)
    2014: YC (Sept)
    2015: YC (Sept)
    2017: YC (Sept)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post
    Spirit used to have a hub in Detroit, but they are scaling back operations significantly from DTW. They used to be a "low-cost" carrier, but ever since they reduced operations in Detroit, their costs have skyrocketed. It's much cheaper to fly NWA to Orlando. Add up their higher costs and the additional fees, and you typically pay $300 to fly RT from DTW to MCO on Spirit. Not to mention I find flying with them even worse than with NWA....
    That's too bad. We've flown Spirit a couple times to Orlando and the flights were always full and the prices were good. I did notice the rates started going up after our 2004 trip. I wonder why the change? They used to have a reservation center down the road from where we live but it closed a couple years ago. Looks like we'll probably be flying another airline the next time we go...
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

1) Many airlines are adding fees to offset fuel increases.
    2) Why should they be any different?
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your posts,I am going to **** it up and deal with it.
    I do wonder if the bussing at WDW will change now with the fuel costs,probably!
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013