Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyAndRedSox View Post
    I go every January and I am used to things on a reduced schedule since it is off-peak.

What really ANNOYS me is the week I am going Spectromagic is on Saturday, Monday and Thursday nights... and Fantasmic is also on Monday and Thursday! If we have lousy weather one of those nights we don't have a lot of options! Plus DH can only stay for the weekend and we have dinner ressies on Sat night, I guess the only thing he can see is Illuminations while he's there!
    I think that might change. Have January park hours and event schedules even been announced yet, or are you looking at the January 08 schedule? As far as I know, Disney hasn't released it's "official" January 09 schedule.

While Spectromagic on the same night as Fantasmic isn't exactly the same as having Wishes on the same night as Fantasmic, it doesn't really make sense to have them on the same nights. I think they may end up doing something like adding an extra night of Spectromagic or moving one of the shows to a different night.

I'd keep my eye on the schedules.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney's website has the calendar posted for January, that is where I got all the days for Fantasmic and Spectromagic. In the past two years they kept certain nights without Spectromagic since they do the Pirate and the Princess patry
    -Michelle

"I DO!" Engaged at MK Railroad Station overlooking Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 2/24/01.
    Raising a future Disney Freak.
    DD's 1st trip @ 9 weeks old (20 year anniversary of my first trip), been back every year since!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyAndRedSox View Post
    Disney's website has the calendar posted for January, that is where I got all the days for Fantasmic and Spectromagic. In the past two years they kept certain nights without Spectromagic since they do the Pirate and the Princess patry
    Ohh, I hadn't seen that the Jan hours/schedules were up yet. That's really odd. It seems like Spectromagic is one of the bigger night-time draws (outside of Fantasmic, Wishes, and Illuminations, of course) and that they wouldn't want it to conflict with Fantasmic if they could possibly avoid it. It will be interesting to see if they do eventually add more Fantasmics, or add/move/change the Spectro schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

The reduction in Fantasmic shows really caught me by surprise. We usually go in the off season (Feb) and as far as I can tell Fantasmic is still a very popular show. Last time we saw Fantasmic (Feb '07) the theater was full. They usually only offer one showing per night that time of year so even with the lower winter crowds the shows still fill up.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I can certainly understand their desire to cut costs. The recent economic conditions must be hitting them 2x as hard as most of us.

This will definitely change the day I go to DHS.

The earlier post that the DHS staff believes that Fantasmic is stealing attendance from other shows makes a lot of sense to me. Also, if the $30,000 per show number if correct and they make up $150,000 per week, I can't imagine that they will lose anywhere near that amount in visitors to that park.

That said, I will NEVER attend an American Idle show. I can't bring myself to watch it on TV, and I won't go see one on my vacation. I feel bad for Disney that they jumped on this dying bandwagon
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This all makes me sad. It just cutback after cutback. With nothing exciting planned. Getting to Fantasmic is going to have to be a carefully planned event. I don't have any desire to see any American Idol show. I hope they don't raise the cost for the dinner with seating for this show.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree about the American Idol thing. It doesn't really make sense to me. It feels like they're trying to hop on the bandwagon of something that's "trendy" (TV's highest rated show) but it just doesn't seem like a good fit. Why would I want to watch everyday park guests sing what's in essence karaoke?

I'm not quite sure I get what the appeal is. Kinda seems like Disney wasn't thinking this one all the way through, which in and of itself is somewhat scary. I hope they didn't invest too much in this.

On the positive side, the building that's housing it hasn't really been used for a good attraction in I don't know how long, so it's not replacing something I was interested in. And I don't think the cost of running the attraction will be all that much - at least not compared to putting on a show like Fantasmic.

And even though they try to make it sound like American Idol is an "alternative" to Fantasmic, I still think it's more about $ than anything else. (And of course, as I've laid out earlier, I completely understand why it has to happen at this point, and still firmly believe that during peak times Fantasmic will be a nightly event).

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that since Fantasmic will show more often at busier times, will it still be every night the week between Christmas and New Years?
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post
    Do you think that since Fantasmic will show more often at busier times, will it still be every night the week between Christmas and New Years?
    Oh definitely. These cutbacks won't even go into effect until January, so throughout the fall and the rest of 2008, Fantasmic is scheduled to go on every night (and 2 times on certain nights, especially during the holiday season).

I imagine the cutbacks will extend through January, but you'll likely see several shows each week during the February peak season (presidents week - winter vacation for schools).

Post Thanks / Like

This news is very disappointing. Reducing a headliner like Fantasmic to two nights a week is an extreme measure. One new attraction and some low level entertainment are a poor substitute.

Slow seasons? There are no slow seasons, unless economic pressures bring them back to WDW. Every Fantasmic show I have seen has been at 90-100% capacity, in September and December. Lack of demand is not the issue.

DHS will be packed on the Fantasmic days. A 180 day ADR may be needed.

It is understandable for Disney to look for ways to reduce expenses. However, rising ticket prices combined with a reduction in attractions results in a decrease in value.

The trend of cutting-back services and attractions and selling-off land for third party development will not provide long-term benefits for WDW, or its guests. These are simply steps to improve short-term profitability. The assumption is that people will continue to return to WDW. It looks like the many criticisms of Mr. Eisner were greatly exaggerated.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that concerns me the most is that someone over at WDW thinks the American Idol thing is a good idea.

I'm not concerned that they have a big karaoke show. It's not my thing, but I understand Disney needs to cater to a wide audience.

I'm just disappointed that they are simply latching onto a pop culture name and showing very little Disney creativity. I could buy it more if there was some kind of ABC tie in, but there's no real tie in that I can think of.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    Does anyone besides me think this may have something to do with the economy. Disney Parks have had a great run for the last few years, with crowds getting bigger each year. I'm thinking this next year will be different, that perhaps the corporate big wigs are expecting a bad year. Right now with gas prices so high and everyone cutting back on travel they must be in a panic. IMHO Disney is still one of the best deals out there but that doesn't mean they won't feel the pinch. People will cut back on trips so fewer shows will be offered. The economy will get better, but it will take awhile.

I'm with you. If the rest of the country is feeling it WDW must be too.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This is horrible news!!!! I love Fantasmic and absolutely hate American Idol. I will have to plan accordingly next year when I visit WDW when to go to DHS so my sister and I can enjoy Fantasmic.
    April 6-9 2006 Pop Century
    July 5-11 2007 Pop Century
    September 20-25th 2009 Pop Century
    June10-June 16 2012 Pop Century
    September 5-15 2013 Pop Century Disneymoon
    August 10-20th 2016 Pop Century (Daughter's first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bummer about Fantasmic!.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Money Money Money

Disney is reducing services to cut expenses again and as always, it seems like some fans rush to worry about poor old Disney.

When we discuss the cost of presenting Fantasmic! we should also consider the revenue Fantasmic! generates. I always buy concessions and others do too. The lines are always long. Fantasmic! is like going to the ball game - it seems like most people eat. Among other things it's a way to kill time between arriving early enough to get good seats and the time the show starts.

This Disney-speak about "with appropriate ticket media...opportunity" Could be put another way: Guests who wish to enjoy a full day of theme park entertainment will need to add the hopping option to their admission media.

Increasingly, it seems like Disney is trying to punish shorter resort visits. Consider the MYW tiny cost difference between 3 days and 10 days - and if you're staying 10 days or 2 weeks or longer, catching Fantasmic! one of the two nights a week it plays is easier...

...and on the nights Fantasmic! isn't playing, you can avoid the fireworks crowds at MK and EPCOT by simply buying a ticket to LaNouba or doing something else that costs an additional fee.

I'm not saying the Disney Company can't experiment with ways to increase revenue. I just wish (1) they wouldn't announce it to us like it's something guests asked for or for our benefit and (2) Disney fans would realize the Disney Company is doing business. It may seem like magic to us but it's business to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also quite upset with the changes that WDW is making. I can understand them wanting to change PI ( I think it needed a face lift) but to eliminate some the Fantasmic shows makes no sense. American Idol is a joke as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't watch it if someone paid me to. WDW has just taken a one day park for me down to a 2 hour park. I was hoping to return to the world in 2009 but with all of the announced changes (and who knows how many more to come) I think I will stay away for a few years until things settle down a bit. I'm not against change but what Disney is doing now seems a bit extreme.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Idol

What's American Idol going to look like at DHS - tweenage Hanna Montana impersonators?

Fear overwhelmes me.

Post Thanks / Like

cutting back on the Fastasmic for idol is SO SO SAD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post
    Thanks for the update!

I'm not too happy with the announcement about Fantasmic being only 2 nights a week. I don't understand why almost every time I have ever gone to watch the show the theater has been basically full and that is all times of the year.

I can only imagine what will happen when its only offered 2 nights a week. Guess you'll have to get there very early to get a seat
    Well this should send the Fantasmic Dinner package reservations through the roof.
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I can not agree with Goes4FastPass any more.

IMHO this is just another step towards all the parks being open 9:00am to 6:00pm every day and then hard tickets being required for "special events." at a park or two each night.

After 9/11 hours were cut due to the economy; when business boomed a few years later, did those hours return?

Princess, Halloween and Christmas parties fill up more and more evenings at the MK. Night of Joy and other events moving to DHS? Me thinks it is only the beginning of more events to come.

I wonder what special evening (hard ticket) events are being planned for EPCOT and the AK?

Pleasure Island needs more restaurants and WDW needs Flamingo Crossing? People who won't pay twice a day to go to theme parks will need places to go in the evening or during the day.

I hope I am wrong, but.....
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: