Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantasmic seems like one of those shows that brings in some money. We have gotten the dinner package on our last two trips. Its the only show we get there early for and buy drinks and food. And the only show we go and buy nighttime toys for the kids. And the lines for the food and drinks and toys don't seem very short.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

hmmmm....

seems pretty straight forward to me.....

easy sell in american idol....and one that they have to invest practically zero in development....

eliminating nightly fantasmic reduces operating costs significantly....including most likely reassigning or laying off the performers.....

and closing mgm without any nightime show will flood the backside of EPCOT for the fireworks (which apparently are not going to be replaced soon as they should be).....which of course is a gigantic collection of shops and food..... which you have to travel past a collection of shops and food at Y&B and Boardwalk to get too....

not exactly thinly veiled this "press release" was? don't you think?

Post Thanks / Like

lockedoutlogic that was brilliant, even if a bit cynical! I don't know if all of that was necessarily involved in the decision by WDW management, but it sure does sound like a winner (for WDW at least).
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

OK I now have no reason to go to the Studios.

We go every Nov. We are done with what we want to do by 1:00pm. We hang out and eat at the park till the Osborne lights come on and then head over to Fantasmic.

Now word has it that the Osborne lights will not be turned on till after Thanksgiving so that will be to late for our trip and now no Fantasmic......
    Well that means No Studios for me...... I dont like tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, I have been to the 2 stunt showes and they dont change. backlot tour is boring now. we dont have kids and dont do playhouse and have done little mermaid a couple of times.......

Yep no reason for us to waste our money on a ticket.................. so long studios...........

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This is very upsetting. Fantasmic! is a terrific show and we have never seen it not to capacity, and we typically go during the "slow" times. Without it, there will be no reason to go to the studios in the evening.
    Cyndi
    aka Maia and Lindsay's Mom

Up next: Caribbean Beach, December 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I am so unhappy about this announcement. Fantasmic is what made me love The Studios. I think Disney is making a big, HUGE mistake. I could see Fantasmic several times in one vacation. What does American Idol have to do with Disney anyway?

1988 - offsite
    1991- offsite
    2001 - offsite
    2007 - WDW Swan
    2009 - Beach Club Villas
    2011 - May Beach Club Villas - Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Put me on record as predicting an American Idol failure.

"with appropriate ticket media" - Sounds like the suits decided it would be better to force people into getting park hoppers if they want to see a fireworks show each night while at WDW.

This was the best they could come up with? Uugh.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post
    OK I now have no reason to go to the Studios.

We go every Nov. We are done with what we want to do by 1:00pm. We hang out and eat at the park till the Osborne lights come on and then head over to Fantasmic.

Now word has it that the Osborne lights will not be turned on till after Thanksgiving so that will be to late for our trip and now no Fantasmic......
    Well that means No Studios for me...... I dont like tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, I have been to the 2 stunt showes and they dont change. backlot tour is boring now. we dont have kids and dont do playhouse and have done little mermaid a couple of times.......

Yep no reason for us to waste our money on a ticket.................. so long studios...........

You did read the announcement, right? Fantasmic won't be cut back until after the holidays in January of 2009. Until that time, Fantasmic will be shown every night through the rest of 2008, with two shows on some nights.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Fantasmic. Twice a week? I understand that it is a very expensive show, but it is always packed. I can see this happening in January or September when it is slower, but July or December? I know it says the shows will occur more frequently during busier times, but what does that mean exactly?

As for being a financial issue---I don't know. Disney seems to be the only big player that isn't making big additions. In the Orlando area, Universal adds the Simpsons Ride and a whole land for Harry Potter that's gotta cost hundreds of millions. Busch adds Aquatica, a huge water park. Around the country, parks are making major additions in rides, water and shows. And it seems like most of them are not cutting current shows, etc., unless they are replacing it with the new thing.

And as for "spending too much on new things," what new things? American Idol seems like it cost almost nothing. Toy Story was some expense, and I guess this new Pleasure Island will be some cost, but what big new expensive thing are they scrimping because of. Or is something on the horizon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug The Disney Man View Post
    Oh, Fantasmic. Twice a week? I understand that it is a very expensive show, but it is always packed. I can see this happening in January or September when it is slower, but July or December? I know it says the shows will occur more frequently during busier times, but what does that mean exactly?
    They don't want to say for sure what it means or how often it will be showing during the busy periods because they don't want people to plan around it and then have to announce there are less shows than expected. But I'd be extremely willing to bet that during the peak times you will see likely 7 or more shows per week. During the peak season, they would have a MOB of people turned away from Fantasmic if it was only showed two times or even 3 or 4 times per week. They can't turn that many people away from a show like that.

And again, just so people understand, the shows won't be cutting back for Fantasmic until after the 2008/09 holiday season (January). Fantasmic will be shown a minimum of once daily through the end of 2008.

As for being a financial issue---I don't know. Disney seems to be the only big player that isn't making big additions. In the Orlando area, Universal adds the Simpsons Ride and a whole land for Harry Potter that's gotta cost hundreds of millions. Busch adds Aquatica, a huge water park. Around the country, parks are making major additions in rides, water and shows. And it seems like most of them are not cutting current shows, etc., unless they are replacing it with the new thing.
    Islands of Adventure hasn't added any attractions (major ones) since the park opened in 1999. It's gone ten years with virtually no changes at all... and the park is suffering attendance-wise. Their additions aren't because the economy is in an upturn - the addition of Harry Potter (mostly probably due to the new ownership of NBC/Universal) is an effort to breathe life back into something that's struggled, as far as I'm aware. Harry Potter is a sizzling hot franchise right now, and any delays to jump on the bandwagon could spell a loss of hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue. Unlike Disney, Universal can't afford to play it conservative right now and "wait out the storm." They have a different set of investors, a different company plan, and they're honestly a different entity than Disney. Universal/IOA is still not a "destination" right now like WDW is, as much as they may try. They risk losing far more than Disney does, and Disney can afford to play their hand conservatively, which often pays off in the long run.

Universal depends on the visits of Disney resort guests to stay afloat. If the economy is running thin, Universal knows that Disney park guests are going to be even less likely to visit Universal/IOA because they don't want to spend the money. Universal is banking on the idea that kids will bug their parents to go see Harry Potter World.

And as for "spending too much on new things," what new things? American Idol seems like it cost almost nothing. Toy Story was some expense, and I guess this new Pleasure Island will be some cost, but what big new expensive thing are they scrimping because of. Or is something on the horizon?
    Star Tours 2 is being developed right now (confirmed by multiple sources if not officially announced yet, and it's more than just a new ride film. Potentially new ride simulators, 3D technology, etc) and may open in 2010, and rumors of major attraction addition(s) for Fantasyland as well as a potential addition to World Showcase.

Either way, you can't judge based on what's happening in recent months or even over the past few years. Let's not forget, Expedition Everest was a HUGE addition and is barely 2 years old yet. Soarin is only 3, and they just added Toy Story Midway Mania this summer. That's three fairly large (and by most reports very entertaining) attraction additions in the past 3 years. If anything, that's above average for Disney. (And you could even say Lights Motors, Action was a semi-major addition, even if it's only a show).

Let's wait 2 or 3 years and see what happens. Maybe then we can say "you know, it's been 3 years since they added a major attraction."
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wipeout!

Maybe they will get rid of Fantasmic and turn it into a Wipeout! zone. Who here wouldn't pay to see WDW guests bounce off the big balls.

Fantasmic is a great show, but now you just have to do better planning if you want to see it.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I'm disappointed with this news. We've not been able to see it yet because the boys weren't able to handle some of the scenes. Oh well. Now we'll just have to plan a little better.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Hmm... I wonder if this is cost-cutting in response to lower projected bookings for early next year or is this in response to declining numbers/popularity for the show?
    i think its probably a little of both, year before last we went in sept and fantasmic was very empty
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I guess that about sums it up. We love that show and never miss it. It's so packed now what will be like when it's only two nights a week, I can't even imagine! I do not watch American Idol, ever, so that will have no impact on me. Very sad!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    Maybe they will get rid of Fantasmic and turn it into a Wipeout! zone. Who here wouldn't pay to see WDW guests bounce off the big balls.
    Ummm... NO, NO, NO!!! I assume you were just kidding. Right?

However, that does lead to a good idea. An interactive show such as this, where people would get wet, not necessarily muddy, would be a good idea, whether it's in the studios or in one of the water parks maybe. The Studios or even Epcot could use a "wet" attraction. Or, another idea might be to have a show like this at the newly renamed ESPN Wide World of Sports.

I'm getting off topic here, but why not build a sports themed park at WWS or somewhere on WDW property with water sport games similar to Wipeout or American Gladiator, plus, baseball, football, soccer, boxing, rock climbing, etc events that people could compete in for prizes. It probably wouldn't be a huge draw, but there are enough sports competitors that visit WDW on a daily basis who would probably give this a shot.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    You did read the announcement, right? Fantasmic won't be cut back until after the holidays in January of 2009. Until that time, Fantasmic will be shown every night through the rest of 2008, with two shows on some nights.
    Yes I did read it..........

This goes back to a topic that the Osborne lights wont be on this year till after Thanksgiving.........
    Now after January they will only have Famtasmic 2 times a week...... Come on have you been to Fastasmic???????
    On nights that they have 2 showes of Fantasmic in one night it is packed at both showes........... standing room only.....
    Now some one has the great idea to only do it 2 nights a week..... what kind of chance do you think you have of getting in???? You will have to line up 4 hours before the show to get in........

What is next????

Wishes once a week?
    Illuminations 2 times a week????
    Only half the countries open a day???
    One land closed a day at Magic Kingdom???

Yea as you can see I am not happy........
    I am wondering who is over the parks right now..... Is Michael Eisner back??????
    First 20 million on a bus syatem that does not work.... now cut backs on showes?????
    not good disney not good at all.....

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Not much reason for us to go to DHS now. We were planning on doing the Fantasmic Dinner package for our Jan trip, but I am more than a little concerned by the "Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays" language. Maybe they won't let me book the dinner package unless Fantasmic is on that night, maybe I can book it and hope that they don't move it around.

In the meantime, while I like Star Tours, and enjoy watching the Jedi training academy, and a couple of the shows, DHS is little more than a time-filler to finish out the day after AK. Without Fantasmic, I may as well head over to Epcot or MK instead.

American Idol holds almost no interest for me - I watch the tryout episodes (mainly for the laughs), and then ignore it until the final 4 (or entirely - I don't think I have watched the end of the last two seasons).

Post Thanks / Like

SgtTigger posted:

What is next????

Wishes once a week?
    Illuminations 2 times a week????
    Only half the countries open a day???
    One land closed a day at Magic Kingdom???

Maybe a bit drastic, but I will stand by my earlier post with a twist:

1) The parks will be open from 9am to 6pm and then evening events with hard tickets.

2) The possibilty that one park a day will be closed.

Pick your poison
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

This is terrible...i understand the economy is down but cut out other places...don't take away Fantasmic!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    This is terrible...i understand the economy is down but cut out other places...don't take away Fantasmic!
    I couldn't disagree more.....

it is a good place to cut...well....maybe not "good", but logical....

it's the same thing....day in and out.....it's been there what? 9 years?

you can't just keep throwing the same thing at people when it's a show......it's non-interactive and eventually you have to change or phase it out......

they do this with rides.....they certainly do this with parades and fireworks.....

it's not like this thing was going to be the same for 40 years.....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: