Quantcast Just got laid off... Still going - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the interview. I sure hope all goes well. Here is somefor good news. Have a great time on your vacation, and don't let the job issue get you down. Get into the Disney bubble, enjoy yourselves. Travel safe.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone. We were not laid off, however, our renters moved out recently, suprise!!!! We leave in 33 days and rent from my in laws. We were unable to pay our rent and prob. won't be able to pay next months either. We would love to sell that house but the market is so low, we are afraid of having to lean on his parents for too much time. On top of all of that, I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they find out we have booked a $2300 trip with Disney in 33 days. They will be thrilled. We will give them what we can, get by as much as possible, but this has just dropped a giant stress bomb on us. So, I feel your financial pain! Goodluck finding a job. You may be suprised and find something quite soon.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Good News!!! I just got a call with an offer today! It is for more money than I was making prior to my layoff and the company is about 10 minutes closer to our home! It isn't my dream job, but it is a good job in a good company and I can always move around within the company once I have established myself for a year or two!

WHOO HOOO

We leave on September 20 for WDW, and now I can go completely relaxed and have the BEST time with my girls!

Thank you ALL for the pixie dust! It worked MAGIC!
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Many thousands of congratulations...I was reading through this and saying to myself, "you know self, you shouldn't have gone this past July, all financial things considered, but what we got out of the trip is more of a reward than anything that money could have given us."

So I really glad you get to go, and I'm even more excited to know that you and your family are going to be well taken care of. Continued prayers and pixie dust that this job treats you well!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

What wonderful news! Congrats! And just before your trip, nonetheless.

Sidenote: Reading through these posts reminded me of a rough job loss DH suffered 1 1/2 years ago. Luckily, we had 8 months living expenses in the bank, and the layoff was for 2. However, all of these comments reminded me of just how common layoffs are in this economy. And although it worked out wonderfully for the OP, it truly might not for most of us. So, in the words of Suze Orman (or any other sound financial planner/adviser), if you don't have AT LEAST 6months living expenses in the bank, you can't afford it! (P.S., she changed it to 8 now because of the economy )
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

SFTrny Guest

Getting laid off is always a challenge, but it can also be an opportunity. I was laid of through restructuring back in 2000 and it opened up a world of opportunity for me. We moved back to a place we loved (not knowing how much we missed it) and started a new career. It took a few years to get back to where I wanted to be, but it was a great investment. In retrospect, getting laid off was the best thing that could have happened to me because it forced me out of a bad situation that I was scared to leave on my own.

I hope you find a new position soon and I hope that this turns out to be a new opportunity for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Apply at Disney and write the trip off as a job hunting expense!
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Our family went through the same thing a couple of times over the past couple of years.

My advice would be to make your decision to go or stay based on your economic situation and job outlook.

I think that we are all experiencing a little bit of what some of our parents experienced during the Great Depression (although I'm sure that back then, it was much worse and they likely didn't have many of the advantages that we do with the gov't bailing some of us out who need help.

Our family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I say Go! Go! Go! You don't know when you'll be able to plan another trip! This is similar to our experiences over the past year.

After 10 years with his company, DH lost his job last year because the company moved production to Mexico! Dh even made 2 - 3 week trips there & trained someone to do his job! He too received 10 weeks of severance pay. Within that time he hurt his hand & had to have surgery. He did finally get another job within the 10 weeks, so he was never eligible for unemployment benefits. He lost this job on Good Friday of this year! The company cut out an entire shift! Lucky for us we had just gotten our tax refund! Besides a mortage, we have 2 DS's in private school & I was only working part time at my job then (now FT!). But we had already planned a fall trip to WDW, just exactly when DH would have been eligible for vacation time!
    So guess what! We decided to take DS's during Spring Break! I had a week to book, plan, & pack! It was crazy, but fun. I budgeted down to bare bones. We drove for the 1st time, didn't get the hopper option & cut out all but 1 TS meal! We made the entire trip for a couple of hundred $'s more than our unexpected tax rebate! We decided this could keep happening with new jobs - LIFO, & didn't know when we'd be able to really plan a vacation it again, possibly not for a couple of years! Yes we noticed our cut backs on our trip, but we had a wonderful time & are so glad that we made the decision to go.
    Now DH has another job, it seems like a stable & good company but in these times, I don't feel like we have the luxury of job security as much anymore. We certainly hope for good things & I'd really like to plan another WDW trip, but now I know not to plan too far in advance & get DS's 11 & 12's hopes up & then have to cancel.

So I say go - & live it up! & good wishes for the job search & your decision on your trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: