Quantcast Disney, Merlin, and Others May Bid on SeaWorld and Sister Parks - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    InBev as far as I have heard is not planning on selling the parks.
    Not publicly stated but InBev is a brewer and it does that one thing well. It tends to sell off non-core assets when it buys another company and that means things that aren't part of brewing beer. So it seems likley that they will do so at some point.

The bigger question is how the theme parks might be sold off. Its not impossible that they might sell them in pieces and then Disney would definitely be interest I would think, but only in SeaWorld Orlando and the Dubai connection IMHO.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They have stated publicly that they have no interest in keeping/operating them.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    They have stated publicly that they have no interest in keeping/operating them.
    Missed that report but not surprising. When they bought Labatt's here in Canada Labatt's owned interests in the Toronto Blue Jays, the Toronto Argonauts (football) and TSN (The Sports Network). All non-core assets to a brewer and they were sold off pretty quickly and only the brewery components retained.

Post Thanks / Like

InBev May Sell US Theme Parks

Christopher Leonard

AP Business Writer / July 16, 2008

ST. LOUIS—When Anheuser-Busch executives announced a cost-cutting plan in June, they surprised analysts by not proposing to sell the company's amusement parks and entertainment holdings. Belgian brewer InBev is likely to be less sentimental.

Having agreed to buy the largest U.S. brewer for $52 billion, the "non-core assets" like Busch Gardens and SeaWorld seem likely to go on the market. InBev SA is known for acquiring new companies and aggressively slashing costs to pump up its bottom line.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    And this is exactly why the Comcast takeover of Disney was such a bad idea. The same situation would have happened then - our beloved parks would have been sold to the highest bidder.
    All Comcast wanted was ESPN and its various sister networks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ParkMan View Post
    If they buy Sea World, I wonder if they'd relocate the facility to WDW. Constructing new buildings would certainly be pricey, but the ability to use it to drive additional hotel revenue and lengthen resort stays may very will make up for it over the next 10 years.
    No, I don't think so.

Why on earth would they spend money to rebuild it elsewhere on top of what they spent to buy it? It's already in a tourist location, it don't have to be next door to the AK.

But, I hope Disney doesn't buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    It was more of the fact that whenever there is an oil spill, Sea World would be there. Whales or dolphins that had beached themselves, Sea World would be there. Manatees being harmed by boating accidents, Sea World was there.

A very large portion of Busch's income went to the animal rehabilitation efforts, and if Disney were to acquire them, they would have to match those efforts at the least, in addition to their own efforts with DAK.

That is what I think the a lot of the die-hard fanatics would complain about because there would be less money going to the improvement of the parks, building of attractions. They won't understand, or rather, be blind to the fact that Disney, if they purchase the parks, has to match what their predecessors did.
    This is an excellent point and I agree completely. But if they could purchase the park and maintain the same efforts it would be a great addition. Just as long as they kept it from becoming Disney themed as mentioned. I mean logo's and such are fine but no Disney themed attractions. Also if it were included with the rest of the parks as a park hopper option with Disney transportation that would be awesome. Or at least give the option to add it on to your package similar to the water parks & more option.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, the story quoted is the only one that mentioned Disney as a possible buyer.

A story in another publication said there was no known source for that info, and the mention was possibly speculation by the reporter, or even a "plant" by InBev's bankers to raise the stakes.

That story said that Blackstone, which is also half-owner of the Universal parks, was a more likely purchaser. The stumbling block there is a contractual issue with GE, the owner of the other half of Universal.

BTW, the quoted article said that Busch owns dozens of theme parks across America. That statement puts the author's credibility in question.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
    BTW, the quoted article said that Busch owns dozens of theme parks across America. That statement puts the author's credibility in question.

Yeah I saw that too…I could only come up with about ten …3 seaworlds (orlando, san Antonio, San Diego) 2 Busch Gardens (Tampa, Williamsburg …very cute park by the way), Aquatica, Discovery Cove, Sesame Place, Adventure Island and Water Country….are there others?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

They actually own one of the Six Flags.

Post Thanks / Like

I can believe Disney has a team looking at the possibility of buying the parks but I don't think it will go much further than that. The big problem with pruchasing a chain of Theme Parks is rebranding them and dealing with existing contracts and agreements that are already in place. For Example they serve Pepsi at Sea World and Disney has an agreement with Coke this causes complications in deals like this. There are also various discount agreements, hotel agreements among other things in place. All of things have to be looked into to see how it would effect the core business in Orlando. While I can see the interest in the Orlanda Sea World property and parks, I don't see the interest in the other Sea World parks or the Busch Gardens Parks. While it might seem great to have Disney purchase these parks it's also a negative since it takes away more of the competition and the competition keeps them striving to stay on top and add new atttractions to the parks. I like that I have a choice and that the parks all offer a different a feel and experience I would hate to Sea World become Sea World with Nemo and Friends.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Bear in mind that there's no guarantee that all the parks will be sold off to the same company. InBev could most definitely split them up and sell them to the most interested parties with the best offer.

So it wouldn't shock me if Disney bought the Orlando parks and the other ones were sold off to other parties.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Even if these parks were to go on the market, I hope Disney doesn't even bid on any of them. No matter what the financial reports say, I am not convinced all is well when it comes to Disney's existing parks. I'd hate to see what would happen if they suddenly had to manage more parks. I'd rather have fewer done better than a bunch with questionable quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Bear in mind that there's no guarantee that all the parks will be sold off to the same company. InBev could most definitely split them up and sell them to the most interested parties with the best offer.

So it wouldn't shock me if Disney bought the Orlando parks and the other ones were sold off to other parties.
    Absolutely agree! There is no reason that they have to be sold off as a unit. Some of the properties are going to be more profitable or strategic than others. Buyers will pick and choose what they want and see as a good fit for their current business, its pretty much standard in business and a part of the due diligence process required by boards and shareholders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz16 View Post
    No, I don't think so.

Why on earth would they spend money to rebuild it elsewhere on top of what they spent to buy it? It's already in a tourist location, it don't have to be next door to the AK.

But, I hope Disney doesn't buy it.
    I heard they were going to expand the monorail to Sea World to accomodate visitors
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    I heard they were going to expand the monorail to Sea World to accomodate visitors
    They can't do that when they're spending all that money to build that new, super-secret, double hush-hush theme park in Luchenbach, Texas!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Disney will not buy Sea World. Its not on property #1 and it wouldn't financially be the right move. Being from St. Louis, the rumor is that its being sold as a package with Busch Gardens, so Disney doesn't need it, especially with Tampa having a Busch Gardens. Disney would be smart though to take advantage of this opportunity. Assuming a new owner comes in, they may or may not keep the quality up, and it could more like a Six Flags in a few years. Disney could then easily do a verion of Disney Sea complete with whales/dolphins/etc and maybe even have it be a land off of AK?
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

The SeaWorld brand has a unique and rich history, and one that in my opinion has to be preserved. There has been long time rumors that Busch Entertainment was being put up for sale by Anheuser-Busch and it's been talk around the SeaWorld parks for a while. I've been more in the circle of SeaWorld parks than I have Disney, and there's a lot going on internally right now to preserve a lot of the management structure and operations structure so that the parks will fare as best as possible thru the transition either into a merger with an existing theme park network, or into an independent one. The hopes are that whatever company comes in doesn't at-least split the Florida parks, which are comprised of SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and most recently Aquatica. What adds confusion and stirs the pot is that SeaWorld announced plans to develop into Dubai, which would make for an odd time for a company being prepared to be put onto the auction block to be undertaking such a bold development. Having grown up in the SeaWorld parks I can't imagine it without Anheuser-Busch present. I would be more concerned about the state of operations within Animal Training, Animal Care, Education, Zoological, etc. These departments are the core of SeaWorld Adventure Parks when it comes down to it and I personally would hope that whatever company chooses to purchase SeaWorld doesn't shakeup the corporate structure already in place and cause a decline in the company. As far as Disney purchasing SeaWorld, I personally don't see it happening. SeaWorld is a uniquely different product than what Disney offers and would undertake. Disney is best in what it does, but I don't think they have the knowledge and experience to enter the market that SeaWorld is in. I could however see them taking Busch Gardens purely because it's main product is that of attractions and not animals. I quite personally am far from being a fan of the sale to InBev and believe that if InBev does indeed choose to sell off these parks, it would be a huge mistake. Part of the deal to sell should have involved these parks and either an agreement to keep them, or sell them as a whole to a suitable buyer. These parks are also very closely run operations wise with regards to the operations, research, and animal training/care. The animals are also moved around thru the network of the 3 parks to preserve and/or enhance social structures with the animals. SeaWorld also loans animals to other parks for breeding reasons. I could see that network that right now is what makes SeaWorld as successful as it is with its breeding program, potentially fall apart if the parks are sold. Enough of me rambling on though.... On topic, I hope InBev doesn't sell, if they do, I hope the buyer preserves the management structure and keeps all the SeaWorld parks together (SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica). Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Water Country, etc, could all survive and be successful in a sale, SeaWorld parks IMO would be an uphill struggle I think.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    Part of the deal to sell should have involved these parks and either an agreement to keep them, or sell them as a whole to a suitable buyer.
    Why would this be in the best interests of Inbev?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

... and why would Busch care when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    There has been long time rumors that Busch Entertainment was being put up for sale by Anheuser-Busch and it's been talk around the SeaWorld parks for a while.
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: