Quantcast Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report

9/8/08

BelleCiavo's Report from 9/7/08

8/25/08

The Walt Disney World resort has internally announced that it will be discontinuing its wristband policy for Evening Extra Magic Hours effective September 7, 2008.

In lieu of showing wristbands at each operating attraction, eligible resort Guests will now be required to show their Key to the World Card or eligible Resort ID/Key.

This procedure was previously tested for several days in February 2008 at the Magic Kingdom park.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Can the wristbands cost that much? The poor attractions staff now needs to manage the process which I would imagine is going to make it pretty lax and prone to abuse.

Not to mention the slow downs on the rides if they actually do check everyone's IDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Personally, when staying at the resorts, I thought it was a pain to get a bracelet. The lines were long, it was in a location that I wasn't near, etc. So for me, it sounds like a good change.

-- Dawn

2002 ASMo
    2003 ASMo
    2005 Condo Offsite
    Jan 06 Boardwalk
    Oct 06 Orlando World Center Marriott
    Oct 07 Condo Offsite
    Jan 09 - It's my birthday!! Coronado Springs
    Nov 10 Long weekend offsite, 2 days
    Sept 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2012 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea to me. You have to carry them around anyway, and one less thing to have to stand in line to get.
    Just wear it on a lanyard around your neck. I see no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it's less prone to abuse. People can give away their wristbands, even to strangers.
    No one is going to give away their keys to the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they're scanning the IDs when you get the wristband (which is not always done), someone can get a wristband and hand their card to someone else to get another wristband. I've seen it done plenty of times. This system will eliminate that loophole.

Also, this will allow day visitors to stay in the park as long as they'd like after regular closing, and to spend money in stores and restaurants. $$$
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, unless they check the dates on the cards, which would take even longer at each attraction, anyone who has a card will be able to stay. I could supply about 10 people expired cards just from this year alone. Not that I would ever do that, but my point is that the potential for abuse seems greater to me. At least with the wristbands the color changes everytime.
    July 1980 Disney Inn, June 1982 CR, June 1985 CR, June 1986 CR, June 1987 CR, December 1992 GF, December 2001 CR, November 2002 BC, November 2003 BC, November 2004 GF, October 2005 BC, October 2006 BC, March 2007 Swan, March 2008 Dolphin, May 2008 BC, October 2008 Swan, November 2008 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Showing your room key at each attraction? That sounds tedious to me.
    Beth

Past WDW trips:
    '83 - Contemporary
    '99 - Grad Night, offsite
    '03 - Day trip MK
    '04 - Day trip MK
    '05 - Poly LVC; POFQ Christmas trip
    '06 - Poly
    '08 - Poly
    '09 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    The Walt Disney World resort has internally announced that it will be discontinuing its wristband policy for Evening Extra Magic Hours effective September 7, 2008.

In lieu of showing wristbands at each operating attraction, eligible resort Guests will now be required to show their Key to the World Card or eligible Resort ID/Key.

This procedure was previously tested for several days in February 2008 at the Magic Kingdom park.
    wow! We were there for that testing phase, and let me tell you WHAT A HASSLE!!!!
    Instead of lining up for a bracelet with our card ONCE, we had to have our cards out at all major attractions. Really don't appreciate this additional hassle. yet another "cutback" in my eyes.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I will be putting charging priviledges on my card anymore. I would hate to lose the card and have the hassel of disputing charges. Plus, as anyone with young children knows, they want to present their own card. So for each ride we will be handing out the cards to all the kids, then collecting them back, then putting them away, and then doing it all over again at every single attraction. The girls are going to love it, I might lose my mind in the process.

If it is anything like getting into the park, what a hassel. If you are ever going to the parks and find yourself behind a 6ft blond with Asian twins in a stroller and two other girls all holding their own tickets do not get in line behind us...it takes us forever to get through the gate!

If I had to guess, the attraction CMs have to think this is not the brightest idea. Just a guess, though.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

Post Thanks / Like

If they do decide to go with a system where you have to scan your card every time, it won't really bother me. I guess I just feel like I'm taking a card or ticket out all the time to get fastpasses, that this doesn't seem much different to me. I could see how for children it might come into play.

But again, for me personally, I don't mind taking my card out and putting it back.

And I really don't think this is at all related to the cost of the wristbands. Those plastic/tyvek things are cheap as heck, especially in the huge bulk numbers Disney buys them in. In the grand scheme of the expenses Disney has, the cost of those bracelets is miniscule. They're probably a few pennies each... and how many people get them? Maybe 5,000 per EMH night? Is it even that high? That would be like $150 for 5,000 bracelets. Disney isn't going to cut out the bracelets to save around $500 a week. Believe me. That's not the reason for the change.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    They're probably a few pennies each... and how many people get them? Maybe 5,000 per EMH night? Is it even that high? That would be like $150 for 5,000 bracelets. Disney isn't going to cut out the bracelets to save around $500 a week. Believe me. That's not the reason for the change.
    Actually, it's more like 13,000, and that is for like AK and Studios. MK is usually around 20-30K. Also if you forecast for 13,000, you need to have in actuality around 20,000 just in case.

And they cost more than a "few pennies" each. Also, you have to pay the CM's for the setup, work time (which is more than just the 3 hours of EMH), pay for the bags they hold them in, pay for the signs, pay the operations coordinators supervising the wristbands distribution. There are usually at least 5-7 locations that give out bands, each one with about 6-8 CM's working there for about 5-6 hours. The costs add up, really fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the guest "losing" their cards is no different then guests using them over and over for f/p...probably just as much of a chance of losing them
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    And I really don't think this is at all related to the cost of the wristbands. Those plastic/tyvek things are cheap as heck, especially in the huge bulk numbers Disney buys them in. In the grand scheme of the expenses Disney has, the cost of those bracelets is miniscule. They're probably a few pennies each... and how many people get them? Maybe 5,000 per EMH night? Is it even that high? That would be like $150 for 5,000 bracelets. Disney isn't going to cut out the bracelets to save around $500 a week. Believe me. That's not the reason for the change.

It's related to the cost of the labor to hand out the wristbands and I read earlier people saying it was part of Disney going green which actually made me laugh since we all know Disney only goes green when they get big press from it.

Me personally I would rather them go back to E-ride nights and charge me a little extra and keep the crowds down.

I said it earlier this is going to make the EMHs so crowded with non-resort guests that they will no longer be worth attending.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Actually, it's more like 13,000, and that is for like AK and Studios. MK is usually around 20-30K. Also if you forecast for 13,000, you need to have in actuality around 20,000 just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    It's related to the cost of the labor to hand out the wristbands and I read earlier people saying it was part of Disney going green which actually made me laugh since we all know Disney only goes green when they get big press from it.

Me personally I would rather them go back to E-ride nights and charge me a little extra and keep the crowds down.

I said it earlier this is going to make the EMHs so crowded with non-resort guests that they will no longer be worth attending.
    I had no idea it had gotten that crowded. I am somewhat out of the loop as it was still E-Ride nights when I went last (and it was for MK only, of course), so I hadn't realized it had become so crowded during evening EMH.

I'm hoping when I go next month they'll have some of the kinks ironed out of the system at least in terms of card scanning or whatever they decide to do, and maybe the crowds will be thinner than during peak times.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I agree. We LOVED E-Night. We would also much rather pay a little extra to have less crwods.

We treat our room keys as if they were pure gold...charging priveledges and non expiring tickets are pricey! I always take my card out with great care. I love the conveninece of having everything on one card. I guess I need to rethink this process

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they are hoping that as people dig for their KTTW cards, money will fall out of their pockets as well so this actually turns into yet another revenue stream.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to imagine that Disney hasn't considered the pros and cons discussed in the thread but on the face it really seems like this would create more hassle than convenience.

Maybe if they plan to install turnstile type entrances with card swipes at the major attractions but otherwise ????

Post Thanks / Like

Making a child carry their room key or handing it to them before every ride will definitely increase the number of lost room keys IMO.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    Making a child carry their room key or handing it to them before every ride will definitely increase the number of lost room keys IMO.
    I don't remember who suggested it, but the lanyard and card holder is a great idea.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: