Quantcast Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be a pain. Kids will probably lose their tickets etc. I cannot believe this is a better way, just cheaper.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds like a hassle...

Get all resort IDs out of fanny pack or lanyard...
    Let the CM's verify the date of stay...
    Get in line...
    Put all resort IDs back in fanny pack or lanyard...
    Repeat...

Hmmm...

Next Up: 06/2017 POLY
    06/2015 POFQ
    11/2013 WL
    06/2012 Swan
    09/2011 POP/WL
    11/2010 WL
    01/2010 HIEX Off-Site
    06/2009 CBR
    11/2007 PORS
    05/2006 POFQ
    10/1999 Beach Club/DCL Wonder
    06/1997 Beach Club
    06/1994 POFQ
    09/1992 CBR
    05/1980 Royal Plaza Hotel - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    Perhaps I'm giving WDW too much credit... but I just do not have the doomsday attitude that a small procedural change signals the erosion of every benefit of being an on-site guest!
    I agree...Hakuna Matata folks...Hakuna Matata

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not the greatest idea

I'm a DVC member. My family do not get Key to the World Cards, the 6 of us all have annual passes. When we stay at a DVC resort we only get room 2 keys. Does this mean I now havw to get keys for everyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdw_gramma View Post
    I'm a DVC member. My family do not get Key to the World Cards, the 6 of us all have annual passes. When we stay at a DVC resort we only get room 2 keys. Does this mean I now havw to get keys for everyone?
    Hmmm... Sounds like it, based on what we know right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    3 - Do you know how many DON'T bring their KTTW card for everyone in the family? A LOT!! Trust me, after working Wristband Distribution, I can say that about 50% of the time, they only bring one card for the family. The mentality is "If we are staying together, why do I need all the cards? Just one will open the door."
    We were among the experimental guests to use this system in Feb. The one card per person thing threw us off too. We have never bothered to carry an extra card for DD, who is only nine. She didn't have charging priveleges on her card, and never would need it without us anyway. On our trip, we just showed the three cards we had with us and said DD was in our group and they waved us through. In the future we would be prepared to take all.
    First Trip - January 2003

DVC
    Kidani Village - AKL
    Bay Lake Tower
    Riviera Resort

VMK - QueenThump & BrerFan

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wdw_gramma View Post
    Actually, this is considered cheating the system. EVERYONE in the room is supposed to have a key, every time. They need to make sure the right number of people are staying in the room.

Basically, if you say there are only two people in the room, there had better only be two people. It's also a fire issue to have more people in the room that there are legally supposed to be. If there are more, you are lying and you can get fined, and possibly, lose your DVC. Also, I'm thinking you are only saying two because you'll avoid the additional cost per adult over 18.

So to answer the question, yes, everyone in the room is supposed to have a key. A KTTW card has nothing to do with annual passes, it's the key to the room you are staying in.

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting!

I really hope that Disney has a great trick up their sleeves, and that this won't be as crazy as we all expect it to be

I was so happy when it looked like this idea had been forgotten in favour of the wristbands, seems a lot easier to me just to get a wristband.

I'm interested in reading trip reports from those who experience this change firsthand!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Let me go on record as saying I LOVE EMH nights -- I don't care how they do it -- if you want me to stand on my head singing "Dixie" while carrying 30 family members' cards for each attraction, I will. Please just keep EMH.

I sincerely hope they do NOT go back to charging extra tickets for e-ride nights. It was just crazy to have to buy a ticket for extra hours when you already paid for a "whole" day in the parks with your regular ticket. And all the rides weren't open anyway.

(The parties are a different story because you actually get something extra -- parades and themed entertainment and activities.)

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    It always amazes me how critical people are with the mention of any little change. Before it's even been implemented, there are countless scenarios that people get all bent out of shape over.

I say give it a chance before casting judgement. Perhaps, it'll work out ok. Perhaps through previous trials and analysis have proven it to be a workable change.

Personally, I don't see how it's really much different. If the card gets demagnetized, simply stop and have it reinitialized. Sure, people could bring old cards and cheat, but then I have at least 5 colors of old wrist bands laying around, so I could do the same with those. Instead of flashing my wristband to get on a ride, I now have to flash my card, doesn't seem like any real hardship to me. It's just different.

But then what do I know. I'm naive enough to think that the Disney folks might be able to make intelligent decisions once in a while instead of automatically thinking every decision they make is destined to fail.

So I'll give the new system a fair chance before I judge it's effect.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

Who's to say yet that this new system is better or worse than the current system?

We simply don't know yet.

I, for one, am happy to give it a chance.
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

There is also another fact that seems to be getting lost in the rush to crucify Disney for this change. That is the fact that if you go even further back than E-ride nights you had something that was simply called regular hours.

What I am referring to is the fact there was a time when Disney ran regular hours later into the evening and then anyone, regardless of where they were lodging, could stay in the parks and enjoy all the open attractions until the park closed. And then as the evening progressed and it got to be close to midnight or whatever and the crowd started to thin out Disney would then selectively close some attractions to reduce their labor costs.

Then Disney went to E-Ride nights that cost each guest a little money but I am sure was not enough to cover all of Disney's costs so they changed to the current system of EMH which obviously doesn't bring in any extra money other than what people spend eating and shopping.

The bottom line is that I believe Disney has decided that E-Ride and EMH are not worth what it is costing them and they will eventually do away with them completely and will go back to generally longer hours and make it available to everyone. And yes, their longer hours will vary with the time of the year and the size of the crowds. I think that what is going on right now is Disney saying if you can't beat 'em then join 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this is considered cheating the system. EVERYONE in the room is supposed to have a key, every time. They need to make sure the right number of people are staying in the room.

Basically, if you say there are only two people in the room, there had better only be two people. It's also a fire issue to have more people in the room that there are legally supposed to be. If there are more, you are lying and you can get fined, and possibly, lose your DVC. Also, I'm thinking you are only saying two because you'll avoid the additional cost per adult over 18.

So to answer the question, yes, everyone in the room is supposed to have a key. A KTTW card has nothing to do with annual passes, it's the key to the room you are staying in.

Whoa! This is very rude and presumptive. Do you belong to the Disney Vacation Club??

How do you know the poster above didn't use points for a grand villa that houses 10+ people??

Not to mention we folks that are Vacation Club owners do not pay for additional anything - including more than 2 adults! We are not even charged the $10 daily resort fee when staying at Disneyland for the newspaper and Internet. Everything is included within the points used per day.

As far as room keys go -- when we check in at Guest Services they ask us how many keys we need. I may only need 3 because one of the four people on the reservation is not going to the park. Don't assume.

Back on topic .......

Does this mean I now havw to get keys for everyone?
    If all room occupants want to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours a room key is required. It's always been that way - even when getting wristbands.
    Last edited by Carol; 08-29-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: To answer question ....
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any inside information, as it appears no one else here does. To make the leap from changing a procedure for EMH, to Disney is just trying to fleece us and end EMH is really a glass half empty scenario.

You don't know that this has anything to do with anything but Disney not wanting to deal with wristbands anymore. Calm down, and see how it works. We don't even know the procedure that will be put in place!

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post

Whoa! This is very rude and presumptive. Do you belong to the Disney Vacation Club??

How do you know the poster above didn't use points for a grand villa that houses 10+ people??

Not to mention we folks that are Vacation Club owners do not pay for additional anything - including more than 2 adults! We are not even charged the $10 daily resort fee when staying at Disneyland for the newspaper and Internet. Everything is included within the points used per day.

As far as room keys go -- when we check in at Guest Services they ask us how many keys we need. I may only need 3 because one of the four people on the reservation is not going to the park. Don't assume.

Back on topic .......

If all room occupants want to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours a room key is required. It's always been that way - even when getting wristbands.
    Actually, I am a DVC member. Or rather, it's my family who owns it.

However, it doesn't matter if they have rented a Grand Villa or a Studio- everyone is still supposed to get their own room card. Everyone in the room must be registered as staying in that room, for liability and safety issues.

So I'll admit I was wrong about the fees, since I know my family takes care of that part. I'm human, I really can't know everything about Disney (contrary to popular belief).

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I am a DVC member. Or rather, it's my family who owns it.

However, it doesn't matter if they have rented a Grand Villa or a Studio- everyone is still supposed to get their own room card. Everyone in the room must be registered as staying in that room, for liability and safety issues.
    Actually the DVC reservation has to say who is staying in the room but when you check in you are not all forced to have a card, you are asked how many you would like. If everyone was supposed to have a card then surely they would automatically do it from the reservation information?
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the DVC reservation has to say who is staying in the room but when you check in you are not all forced to have a card, you are asked how many you would like.
    Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

What resorts are you staying at that ASK you how many you would like, rather than just giving you one per name on the reservation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Stop View Post
    What resorts are you staying at that ASK you how many you would like, rather than just giving you one per name on the reservation?
    We're talking about Disney Vacation Club Villas at Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm human, I really can't know everything about Disney (contrary to popular belief).

....They've always just given us room for everyone. They've never asked us how many we wanted. And we've stayed at all of them....except Hilton Head.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: