Quantcast No Choice For Diabetics - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SFTrny Guest

Actually, they do have mention of this, just not in the aggregate data or charts. 0.2% of all people in the "under 20" age group have diabetes. This includes Type 1 and Type2.

I'd post the link here if I could, but since links aren't allowed...

Try a Google search for "National Diabetes Statistics, 2007" and "NIH".

Great info here.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy,

My problem with only having diet coke/pepsi as a choice is that 95% of the time it is the caffinated variety. On top of being diabetic I have a heart condition inwhich caffine is a huge no/no. I generally have to drink bottled water the entire trip. I wish diet sprite was an option. At the all stars food courts I can find a caffine free diet option but not at the sit down or counter service food places any place else
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Grandmom's house in St. Augustine - 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    July '12 POFQ

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Feb '13 Cars family suite!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just a problem at Disney, it's a problem everywhere. There are very few places where you can get a drink(other than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi) that is both sugar-free and caffeine free. My husband is diabetic and I avoid sugar drinks also, so we always drink diet, but get a little tired of diet cola. When I was pregnant, I wanted caffeine-free as well and could rarely find both. You can find Sprite or root beer, but they are only caffeine-free, not sugar-free. I am glad Disney has the light lemonade now- not as good as I would like, but at least it's a fairly healthy option.(no bubbles, though!)
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    We also carry those to-go type packets,but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.
    You can add the packets to club soda (available at most fountain locations) or a sparkling water for a fizzy diet drink, I do this all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!
    I did not expect so many replies to this thread.Its nice to see that I am not alone in this.
    I recently read ,in Prevention Magazine ,I think, that colas, both diet and regular,have been linked to kidney problems down the road,so now I have another reason to shun colas.
    At least there are many more sugar free products in stores now than when I first became diabetic,but ,too many of them are a bot too sweet for my taste.
    Also , too many of the restaurant chains do not carry any sugar free desserts.This prompts me to go on their websites and complain.Now I intend to go to the Disney website and voice my displeasure about soda selection.

DIABETICS OF THE WORLD UNITE
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Shortly after my last post here on 9/12,I did e-mail WDW about my displeasure of their lack of selection of sugar-free and caffeine free drinks.As of this date,I have not received any reply.Maybe this just takes time considering the thousands of e-mails they probably get each day.If ,and when,I do receive an answer,I will post about it here.
    As a side note,yesterday,while on a road trip,we stopped for lunch at an ARBYs, and they did have several diet options:unsweetened iced tea,sugar free lemonade,and diet Dr.Pepper.
    PETE FROM NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply From Wdw

The afternoon of my last post I did get a response fron WDW on my voice mail.It was from Darin or Derin,could not make it out.
    He said the powers that be are looking into the matter of offering other diet options but he was non-committal.He did mention lemonade light.
    We shall see what happens in the future.
    Perhaps if many more fellow diabetics would also tell the WDW people ,something may be done sooner.
    DIABETICS UNITE!!
    PETE FROM NYC

Post Thanks / Like

My DW and I are both type 2 and we look for the diet pops. Most resort re-fill fountains only have Diet Coke however we have found some with Fresca (ASMovies and AKL). As we are from Canada my DW (heart condition) swears the US Diet Coke makes her heart race and has to limit her amounts. Now we look for caffeine free when buying in the US however at WDW it is not offered in the parks or restaurants. Another small problem to worry about is that Fresca is made from grapefruits and many people who use Lipitor (for high cholesterol) are told not to drink grapefruit juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno52 View Post
    As we are from Canada my DW (heart condition) swears the US Diet Coke makes her heart race and has to limit her amounts. Now we look for caffeine free when buying in the US .

I know the FDA guidelines are different for the USA than they are in Europe for corn syrup. European countries won't except any products that contain it. And it is in almost everything you buy in the US. So, they probably add more caffeine to get us Americans evern more addicted and our guidelines allow them to!

I think the artificial sweeteners are bad for you too and we just haven't heard a lot about it yet, or enough to convince the FDA to ban them. There are soft drinks made from cane juice but they are hard to find. I don't know how this would affect diabetics.

I would encourage everyone to drink water! But that being said, my DH drinks Sprite all the time! So if I can't convince him........

Good luck! It will be interesting to hear if they change anything.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pete, if lemon lite is unsweetened then it will work good for us. WDW must realize that many people drink diet pop not just for losing weight, but for health reasons also. I'm sure we get that at the Boardwalk bakery but not at the Allstars.

Post Thanks / Like

We were relieved to find diet sprite.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

The light lemonade that is served at WDW is made by Minute Maid. It has 5 calories, 2 g of carbs and 0 g of sugar per 12 oz serving.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Ellen is that a Cubs insignia on your cruise ship?

The hot chocolate in the parks and food court is really lack luster and heavy on the sugar, so when we go in December, I will take my hot pot and my envelopes of sugar-free hot chocolate.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

A larger percent of the population is diabetic than you would think. The rate for diabetics has doubled in the last 10 years. This does not include the people who are becoming glucose intolerant and who do not have full blown diabetes. My husband has been a diabetic for almost 2 years now and it is tough to find a variety of anything that he can have. Hopefully this will be brought to the attention of Disney and other parks and they will start to offer other choices for drink and food alike. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I know I would enjoy more choices than cola or water and I am not diabetic.

Post Thanks / Like

That lite lemonade to me is......gross.

I generally use the little flavor packets added to water. I am a type 1 diabetic and granted our choices are less then non diabetics but I've learned to live with what choices are available and be glad there are choices.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: