Quantcast Non-Park Activity Tips

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Non-Park Activity Tips

We're headed down to WDW for 7 days, staying at POFQ from May 23-30, with my wife, 7 year old son and 2 year old daughter. We went six times last year, for 1-4 day trips, so we've done almost everything.

This time we want to relax and do some stuff outside the parks. I have a few ideas of things, like the Ft. Wilderness campfire, but does anyone have some great relaxing things for a family like this?

Ideally, we want to get up early, do the parks, come back for a nap, then have dinner and do some fun/releaxing stuff at night. We don't want to wear ourselves out.
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 01-27-2009 at 04:27 PM.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DBF and I actually enjoy going to DisneyQuest at DTD and play some of the new and old video games. Thats always fun for us. We do some walking and shopping around in DTD. We enjoy stopping in at the magic shop and watch them do some card tricks which are always really cool, and they always like to pick the kids to help them with the tricks. Kids always get a huge kick out of the tricks! We enjoy walking on the boardwalk at night and watch the shows. Magic shows and stuff like that. Those are really neat and funny. We also liked watching the movies on the beach across from the beach club. That was very relaxing and so pretty and nice. Just being on the beach right next to the water and watching a really cute disney movie. I am sure the kids would love that. Hope some of these ideas help.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

The idea about the movies is great. I thought an evening at the Boardwalk would be great. We could wander around, have dinner at Epcot, and catch the movie at the Beach. Do you know when those happen?
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 01-27-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Miniature golf is a favorite activity of many at Disney World.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Good thought. We played Winter Summerland last year in April and had a good time.
    NEXT TRIP - 5/23-5/30 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the Electric Water Parade from the GF, WL, FW, or Cont. beaches or marinas at night. Take the wagon ride around FW. Walk around the other resorts and look at theming.

Post Thanks / Like

Rent water mice or a Pontoon boat for a spin around Seven Seas lagoon. That is my families favorite non park activity. We are also trying the horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness on our next trip.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

We keep trying to see the Electrical Water Parade, but the kids tire out before 9-9:30 most of the time. I want to give it a shot this time from the Poly beach.

Is it safe to rent water mice if my son is not a strong swimmer? I swim all the time, so I know I could get him if necessary, but I don't want to risk too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it safe to rent water mice if my son is not a strong swimmer? I swim all the time, so I know I could get him if necessary, but I don't want to risk too much.
    Absolutely. The water patrol folks are very strict abot "boat etiquette" on the lake, and if someone is driving in an unsafe manner, they'll pull them. However, if you're still uncomfortable, it might be better to rent a Suntracker pontoon boat so the whole family can be together.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We have always enjoyed the carriage ride that you can get at POR by the dock. It takes you through POR and FQ. It is so beautiful to see the resorts and the sound of the horse shoes clicking on the ground is like something out of a fairy tale. The price is very reasonable as well at $35 for up to 4 people, and there is no tipping. For some reason they can't accept tips, I tried on our trip over Christmas.
    2008 - Anniversary trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2005 - Honeymoon trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2015 - Kids 1st Visit: Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Life jackets are available for boat rentals.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I would like to try is the Segway tour they have at Fort Wilderness.

A friend of ours raved about a behind the scenes tour they did at Animal Kingdom.

If you are staying at one of the DVC properties. They have a couple of different activities everyday. That look like they could be fun.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
    We keep trying to see the Electrical Water Parade, but the kids tire out before 9-9:30 most of the time. I want to give it a shot this time from the Poly beach.

Everyone is provided with a life jacket and they patrol the water mice like crazy. They are very strict with safety. My daughters, ages 13 and 11 at the time, got "pulled over" a few times.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great feedback. I talked it over with my wife, and I think we're going to try the carriage ride, the water mice and the beach movies. We've never done any of these things before, so it should be great.

Now, if only Disney would release park hours for May so we can plan!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
    The idea about the movies is great. I thought an evening at the Boardwalk would be great. We could wander around, have dinner at Epcot, and catch the movie at the Beach. Do you know when those happen?
    Sorry I didnt get back to you right away. I am not 100% sure what time the movies are there. I THINK it might be 7:30? but Im not one-hundred percent. But you can find out if you ask your Concierge desk at your hotel. They usually have a list of what the movies will be played and at what time.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16