Quantcast American Adventure disppointment

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American Adventure disppointment

I just returned from WDW on October 4 and we saw the American Adventure at Epcot and I am extremely disappointed in the addition to the end! I sat there beside my extremely proud American soldier who just returned from 18 months in Afghanistan and 2 months in Iraq. My heart always swells with pride when we see this show. I see the new ending with the fire fighters from 9/11, Oprah Winfrey, Sports people, Willie Nelson?, and I am waiting for an image of a current looking American Soldier and IT NEVER COMES!!!???? Walt Disney was in the Army, they had soldiers from the American revolution, the civil war, WW1 and WW2 but no current American Soldiers!!! I am extremely disappointed and hurt! Walt Disney would not have overlooked this in my opinion. Does anyone have any insight that I may have overlooked? I can't understand this and I would like to write a letter to someone because I love Disney World, I love Walt Disney and I love my American Soldier and I can't imagine why this would not be included in the American Adventure!!!!!
    6/11 DCL Med
    5/11 DCL & Port Bay
    10/10 SOG
    6/10 Regal Sun
    5/2010 AKL
    6/09 POFQ
    2/09 OKW
    10/08 AS Movies
    7/07 Pop
    12/06 C Beach
    3/06 POFQ
    3/05 C Springs
    3/04 POP
    3/03 SOG
    4/02 Contemp
    3/01 SOG
    3/00 AS Music
    6/99 SOG
    5/98 Best Western LBV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

I'll tell you, I'd put a current American soldier in there a million times before I'd put Oprah Winfrey. That' ridiculous. You might as well put Puff Daddy and Britney Spears in there as well.

How many times has Oprah poured money into Disney...and then she turns up at the end of the American Adventure, but an American fighting with his or her life on the line for us right now is not? Hmmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen this show yet. But why is Oprah in it?
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Having not seen the new ending, I would actually be fine with Oprah...but Willie Nelson?!?!? Wasn't he convicted for tax evasion and has been pushing for the legalization of marijuana? I don't find that inspirational at all!
    I too feel that a modern US soldier should be represented. The only reason that I think that they may have left one out is due to the political fallout that would occur due to the image being linked to a very unpopular war.
    Don't flame me, I love our soldiers, my brother is one. It's just the vast majority of the population has a poor opinion of the war in Iraq and the president that got us in to it and I think that Disney may be trying to avoid that issue.
    Once things calm down, I would be sure that a modern soldier would be represented.
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I agree with Disneyfun. I think it's more of a delicacy need than not respecting or honoring them. It's a very sensitive subject right now, and it's also recent - they may want to avoid showing pictures of someone's son, daughter, father, lover, brother or any one they cared about who never returned home.

A lot of times, the communities will rally together in times of despair and need and will send families to Disney or another place so they can escape just for a little while from the sadness such as a loved one lost in the line of duty. Can you imagine being on vacation and trying to escape and then seeing your loved one on a giant screen?

I definitely believe it's a good thing - for now. Besides, I personally don't care for them but Oprah and Willie Nelson are both inspirations and pioneers for many people. Oprah has helped many lives and given great advice to thousands of people, and sure she's not fighting a war but she has help people with their internal struggles. Willie Nelson defied traditions and did his own thing, including advocating alternate fuel sources, and active in the political fronts. Neither one really inspires me, only Walt does that, but for a lot of people, they are important.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's weird

Putting Oprah in there is like comparing her to JFK or MLK. Atleast with a firefighter or soldier it covers a large vast of the population. I am sure they will change it.
    "We'll make a wish and do as dreamers do; and all our wishes will come true!"
    SEPt1998 - RCC - Enchantment of the Seas
    JAN2003 - WDW - ALL STAR MOVIES
    OCT2003 - RCC - Majesty of the Seas
    OCT2004 - RCC - Voyager of the Seas
    JAN'05-SEPT'07 - 4 TRIPS to POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    A lot of times, the communities will rally together in times of despair and need and will send families to Disney or another place so they can escape just for a little while from the sadness such as a loved one lost in the line of duty. Can you imagine being on vacation and trying to escape and then seeing your loved one on a giant screen?
    How about the flip side of that? How about being a veteran or the family of a fallen veteran and not seeing a modern military member up on the big screen? How would that make you feel? Wouldn't that make you feel slighted? Oprah Winfrey is an entertainer and nothing more and make mega-millions doing a posh job...she deserves a spot but a real American hero/heroine doesn't?! Ridiculous.

It's just another sign of the times--the only people who count are celebrities.

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that when updating the film, WDW/the U.S. also was keeping in mind the film's large global audience, having an understanding of many other countries' positions on the war. I am confident that all of the different Epcot country movies are sanitized to be sure no offense could be taken by WDW visitors of any nationality (including American).

My father is deployed in Baghdad right now; I do not have any issues with the film's content.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

No one at Disney wants to anger those who HATE the war and all involved. I suppose those who scream the loudest get to wear the fattest crown. And then we all bow to their every wish.

Meanwhile, more soldiers (some my family members) are giving their lives to promote America's greatest export...Freedom. I hope Disney includes them in the next AmAd film.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully someone from Disney will see this post and add a current military hero to the film...and all the brave men and women serving are heroes to me
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Quote Originally Posted by TakeMe2EPCOT View Post
    How about the flip side of that? How about being a veteran or the family of a fallen veteran and not seeing a modern military member up on the big screen? How would that make you feel? Wouldn't that make you feel slighted? Oprah Winfrey is an entertainer and nothing more and make mega-millions doing a posh job...she deserves a spot but a real American hero/heroine doesn't?! Ridiculous.

It's just another sign of the times--the only people who count are celebrities.
    I'm sorry but I never said they were the only ones who count. I said Disney is taking an approach to avoid upsetting a lot of people because of the current situation we are in. There are a lot of political issues that a lot of foreigners, and Americans, alike have about the current war in Iraq. And a lot of foreigners come to Disney World. It's not about who is better or greater hero - the story is the American Adventure. It's about pioneers, inventors, revolutionaries, and heroes, not just those who have died for us.

And after all, what was Samuel Clemmons (Mark Twain) but another entertainer? He was just an author.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=deedeenmickey;1754453. . . I love my American Soldier and I can't imagine why this would not be included in the American Adventure!!!!! . . . [/QUOTE]

I agree!

Shame

Shame
    Shame

NOTE: Sea World does a nice recognition. At the Shamu show, they have all the vets stand. Sometimes, the applause is deafening! They also give service people and their families free admission!
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Oprah on ABC?Owned by Disney and she's made a ton for Disney but I agree,she shouldn't be there.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

sheesh! I personally don't see the big deal here. our military is well represented, but it's not like it's a current show that goes all the way up to present day! I happen to like the ending just fine...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    And after all, what was Samuel Clemmons (Mark Twain) but another entertainer? He was just an author.
    Hmm. I know you are trying to make a point here, but I hope you know that Samuel Clemmons was more than "just an author." Almost all of his books had a message, and he made a great impact in the political aspect of society.

Anyway, I'm on the side of having a soldier be part of the montage. Soldiers do much more than fight wars. They are all around the world keeping the peace and doing their part to serve their country. I for one would be proud to have a deceased relative as part of the video. Would it be emotional? Sure. But knowing that every day people were seeing my relative representing what is supposed to be "the best" of the U.S. would make me swell with pride as well.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Hmm. I know you are trying to make a point here, but I hope you know that Samuel Clemmons was more than "just an author." Almost all of his books had a message, and he made a great impact in the political aspect of society.
    And for some, the same can be said of those in the film. Willie Nelson does a lot of political work and has jokingly been referred to as "the most powerful Texan" by other politicians. Oprah Winfrey wasn't always the corporate icon she is today, she went through a lot of struggles and as an entertainer, brought many to tears with her emotional role in The Color Purple.

It's all a matter of opinion. I don't care for being reminded of the war when I'm there at Disney because it's all we hear about every other day. I enjoy reflecting the ideas that America once held, not the paths used to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

"Isn't Oprah on ABC?Owned by Disney and she's made a ton for Disney but I agree,she shouldn't be there. "

Nope, shes on CBS. EIther way I agree, she shouldn't be on there.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedeenmickey View Post
    Walt Disney was in the Army, ...
    I pretty certain that Walt Disney was not in The Army. He was in The Red Cross.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I pretty certain that Walt Disney was not in The Army. He was in The Red Cross.
    Correct ... he served during WWI in the Red Cross Ambulance Corps. He was too young to join the military.
    Last edited by Ian; 10-08-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: