Quantcast Tattoos

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Post Thanks / Like

Question Tattoos

Hi everyone. Been thinking about getting a tattoo for the past 5-6 years and it might be time to seal the deal. Just wondering what people's thoughts were about them. Thanks!

"When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 9 custom tattoos, none from a book or wall of a tattoo shop. Make sure you really like it. Go to the shop that you choose and watch the tattoo artist. You really need to trust the person and their skills that will do your tattoo. Is the shop clean, are they washing there hand? Is the equipment clean and properly autoclaved or new? Make sure they are not reusing ink and needles. Don't be scared to ask questions. If they blow you off or don't want to answer your questions, go some place else. Ask to see their work. A good artist will have a portfolio or book of their work.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the great advice above, I think they can be great forms of personal expression. My only advice is 1.) Don't get something that's nothing more than a "fad" like those Chinese symbols or barb wire around the bicep (especially this one - that bicep won't be quite so tight in 20-30 years) and 2.) Be sure whatever you get you won't be ashamed for your grandkids to see it when you're 80 because taking those things off, from what I've heard, is 100 times more painful than putting it on.

One suggestion...often you can get a Henna artist or even a tattoo artist to do a non-permanent version to let you take it for a test drive.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I happen to like tattoos!

I say you only live once, so why care what anyone else thinks about your tats? Just be sure you get one you can live with!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 tatoos from my college days. One is above my navel, and after 3 kids, still looks decent. The other was in an area that I thought would be inconspicuos, but turned out not to be. I have already undergone $1500 worth of painful laser removal procedures on that one, and will need at least 3 more. The method to my message...be careful! Put it somewhere you won't ever regret it. Also, black inks are the easiest to remove. The colors are the most difficult. Blues and greens are next to impossible. Red is a challenge too, and usually turns brown from the laser. Keep this in mind, especially if someday you might have remorse.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I personally dont care for the "fad" tattoos like a OP mentioned, espcailly the whole bicep barb wire....I have two one on each ankle...to me they werent painful at all. Especially for it being on the ankle bone I was slightly surprised, but I can usually tolerate pain. And again like the usual advice, get something you can live with and where youll be able to live with it on your body. Always think of what your getting and what it might look like to you fifty years from now. Plus I dont get a tattoo just because I want one, it usually has some kind of meaning to me. And whatever you do, dont just go get a chinese or other language symbol not knowing what your getting...I knew a girl once that thought she was getting peace love and happiness according to the sign at the tatto shop....well needless to say, someone eventually told her what they really were and I cant say it on here,..lol....so be careful of those. But the end all be all of my speil is that I like tattoos as long as they are tasteful....Nothing like head to toe and all crazy skulls and naked women....those are just nasty and a turn off....IMHO
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since you asked...I personally do not like them. Definitely not for me.
    I have seen some that are interesting, but you have to remember that they are permanent, unless you want to go through a lot of pain and money to have them removed.
    But it's your body, just follow the advice of those above...make sure it is not a fad, something tasteful and something you can live with.
    WesWerX ºoº

"Laughter is America's most important export" - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one - Aerosmith wings A little above my right ankle. My uniform pants hide it but it's quite visible when I wear shorts or capris. I've had mine about 5 years or so, maybe more and I have never regretted it.
    I'm thinking about getting another one - maybe Piglet I just can't decide where I want it. Plus my boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, lol.
    Good luck, let us know what you decide.
    And definitely follow the advice about checking out the tatoo artist first. If you don't feel comfortable, keep looking.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been contemplating a small tatoo for years but my fear is finding a good artist to do it.

I know several people who have more then 1 tatoo and their artists seem reputable.

I know what I want to get....my late fathers initials...just looking for simple 3 letters.

My hardest decision has been where to put them.

I've seen initials on the hand b/w the wristbone and the bottom of the thumb...ankles...I don't want it on my arm....

I know I want it but until I can decide where I want it...I'm not going to do it...ideas for locations would be great...
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of great information in these posts. I saw a sign in the last shop I got work done in and it really sums it up: "Good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good." A tattoo is not something you want to "bargin" shop for....do a lot of research, ask for references, and make sure the artist is someone you feel comfortable with. The internet makes is so much easier now to review artwork, and let you custom design your own piece. I will also add this...they can be very addictive. I swore I'd never have one, but I enjoyed the first one so much that I got another one. And, if it weren't for money, I'd have even more. I'm not sure what part of the county you're in, but feel free to PM me and I can give you some names of artists in Ohio, Michigan, and places you can look up shops in your area. Good luck!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Duh...I just looked back at your post and saw that you live in Indy. I know several fantastic artists in Columbus, OH, so again, feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I have a peace, love and mickey tattoo on my ankle, with pixie dust wrapping around the ankle. You can see it here. I love my tattoo and I got it 2 years ago when I was 36! I don't regret it for a second, and love when people notice it - though, I'm working in the school district now and feel a tiny bit uncomfortable when it's visibile (though, no one has ever said anything and I've seen others with tattoo's). I definitely want another one, most likely Disney related, but I'm not sure what or where yet.

Everyone else has given great advice - my only comment is not to worry about the pain (if you are worried, that is). Everyone's pain threshold is different so you don't know how it's going to feel until you're having it done. To me, if felt like someone was scratching a sunburn - totally manageable until the last 5 minutes or so - then I was ready to be done (the pixie dust is many different colors, so they had to keep going over and over it....)
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3, and I'm very happy with them. 2 are chinese symbols, but I got them for a very specific reason, and I know for sure that they mean what I wanted them too! I say go for it! Just do your homework on the shop, and be sure you think carefully about where you want it!

Let us know what you decide!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post
    I have a peace, love and mickey tattoo on my ankle, with pixie dust wrapping around the ankle. You can see it here. I love my tattoo and I got it 2 years ago when I was 36! I don't regret it for a second, and love when people notice it - though, I'm working in the school district now and feel a tiny bit uncomfortable when it's visibile (though, no one has ever said anything and I've seen others with tattoo's). I definitely want another one, most likely Disney related, but I'm not sure what or where yet.

Everyone else has given great advice - my only comment is not to worry about the pain (if you are worried, that is). Everyone's pain threshold is different so you don't know how it's going to feel until you're having it done. To me, if felt like someone was scratching a sunburn - totally manageable until the last 5 minutes or so - then I was ready to be done (the pixie dust is many different colors, so they had to keep going over and over it....)
    I love it... the coolest ever. :o)
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Jen I love your peace, love Mickey tat !

I have 4 - a crown on my foot, a sun & autograph on my ankle, a green star on my left shoulder blade, and a Tink on my right shoulder blade (like my avatar, minus the name but with color - think the Disney Visa Tink logo).

They really are addticting - I'd love to get another one for my boys but not sure what to get yet.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

i love them...
    some people really have some nice works of art on them...i have 6 so far myself...my right ankle has an outline of a fairy..and a heart with tribal...my left anklet has a flower with tribal along with a cross..the left side of my waist has stars across it..and on the lowere right side of my back i have my name along with a 3 circle mickey on my back...
    i just got married 2 weeks ago and i want to get to hearts connecting with our wedding date underneath it..and i want that on the middle of my back..closer to my neck..
    my hubby has 6 himself with more to come..
    if you guys wanna check them out..click on my name and and then go to my homepage..which is my myspace account..and look under the album my photos..you'll see all of mine and my hubbys!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love them - they are addicting!

I have a large one on my back, across the top. It is of some design a guy I met on Spring Break came up w/. At the time, I didnt know if I made the correct decision, but I am glad I got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ColtsDonald View Post
    I love them - they are addicting!

I have a large one on my back, across the top. It is of some design a guy I met on Spring Break came up w/. At the time, I didnt know if I made the correct decision, but I am glad I got it.
    I figured yours would be a Colts horseshoe!

ColtsDonald, did you get yours done here in Indy? If so, did you like your artist? Or do you have any recommendations of good places in Indy to get tattoos done?

Thanks for all your comments everyone! It is greatly appreciated!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Davyjones;1761257]I figured yours would be a Colts horseshoe!

ColtsDonald, did you get yours done here in Indy? If so, did you like your artist? Or do you have any recommendations of good places in Indy to get tattoos done?

QUOTE]

I really considered the Horseshoe, but thought that would a bit excessive!

I got mine down on Spring Break in Ft. Myers. I have heard a few places around Broad Ripple are good, but I forget the names.

What are you thinking about getting?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any but wanted to say my younger brother who got one he was sure he would love in a spot that he didn't think would bug him isn't thrilled with his now. (it's an eagle crushing a football with our brothers initials and the year he died worked into it).
    95% of the time you can't see it (a little shows when he's in say a bathing suit or low riding shorts perhaps) but it bugs him if he's at the gym etc for changing in front of clients for swim events or at racketball etc. If he could do it over again he'd pass. I think what you want to do in life has an impact. In my personal career path at most you see the odd discreet ankle version but personally I'd think about that aspect as well as the quality of the shop.

(my step dad has lot's of nice artwork by the way..it suits him and his lifestyle and they can be quite interesting.)
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: