Quantcast Company Sick Time

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Company Sick Time

What is the policy - where you work - on Sick Time?

Last year, we had unlimited - at the manager's discrection. Earlier this year we were told we had 5 sick days a year. Today we were told that Salary employees only have 3 sick days a year. Hourly employees have NO sick days. You either have to use vacation time, not get paid for it, or make up the time.
    So many ideas, so little time. I need a part-time job to support my craft habit.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, never heard of a policy of unlimited sick days if they were okayed. I can see why the company changed that one quick. I do not work, I am a stay at home mom now, but when I worked as an ad min I had 5 days plus vacation. My husband just gets days. They are not specified. He gets 20 days a year to use as he pleases. Sick or vacation it does not matter. But he always has a few left over, I cannot even remember the last time he called off sick so he just mainly uses them for vacation.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, most companies now have shifted towards just having "Paid Time Off (PTO)" and not specific vacation time vs. sick time, vs. personal time etc.

At my prior employer, I had been there for 6 years and was 27 PTO days a year. But we had basically unlimited work-from-home so that time went right to vacation.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We use the PTO (paid time off) system. Basically, your sick time and vacation time is one in the same. If you call off and use up your PTO, you will not get your vacation. We can have 5 call-off occurences in 1 rolling year - for example, my call-off from last Oct 29 will "fall off" my list this Oct 29. We can call off on consecutive working days up to 3 days as one call-off occurrence then we need a doctor's excuse to come back to work.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We have a pool of PTO which we just went to this year. It includes what we used to get for vacation, one personal day and 7 sick days.
    Nov-Dec 2005- Port Orleans Riverside First Trip
    April - May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Nov-Dec 2007 - Wilderness Lodge for 40th Birthday
    April 2008 - Wilderness Lodge
    Next Trip - Nov-Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge for Mother's 75th Birthday

Post Thanks / Like

We have 5 days that we can use however we want whether for personal days, sick days, ect. Being a teacher of course I also get summers, holidays, spring break, etc off as well.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

We get 6 days a year and if you don't take them they roll over to the next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently receive 5 vacation days and 5 personal days which reflect any extra time off not used for vacation and/or sick time....If you dont use them you loose them...or get paid for the personal time not used at the end of the year. If you higher on the rank you get more days though. Its based on years here and/or position here. Some people have more time than others. Everyone has more time than me! lol!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

i get 3 sick days and 10 vacation days..
    i have one day left and im saving it for the day after christmas!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

My company also has a PTO system, which they implemented last year.

Although, they will pay you for sick time and does accumulate, you MUST take 3 PTO days before you can go into your sick bank. I think it's terrible. I think they gave us a few extra days a year.

It's not a nice thing to do to people who don't abuse it at all.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

At my company, hourly employees get five personal/sick days off per year. Salaried employee sick time is not counted unless they start to abuse the priveledge. As far as vacation, I think this is how it goes:
    1-4 Years = 2 weeks vacation
    5-9 Years = 3 weeks vacation
    10+ Years = 4 weeks vacation

I'm right in the middle at this point as far as vacation time, but at least I still get five personal/sick days per year!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

At my last job, it was really confusing. After working 6 months we got two weeks of vacation. That didn't change until we had been there for about 5 years. The confusing part came with the sick days. We had A LOT of sick days (like 6 weeks worth) a year but we basically could only use 1 every six weeks (which really sucked if you came down with the flu or something. If you missed 2 consecutive days you had to have a doctor's note, but even with proof that you were sick, they still put you on probation after that 2nd missed day.) Basically if you missed more than 1 every six weeks, you were given a warning, and if you missed more than 2 you were put on probabtion. It meant that we ended up going to work sick a lot (not the best thing when you're a bank teller!). It really sucked that we had all of these sick days but could never use them!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have 9 weeks vacation and 12 weeks sick leave. I can carry over 13 weeks vacation and unlimited sick leave

Post Thanks / Like

As a teacher, we get off for the holidays and summers. We also get three personal days, 15 sick days and 5 family sick days a year that can be carried from year to year. When we retire, they will cash out any sick time left over at your current rate.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I am maxed out at 15 vacation days w/ no sick days! Same employer for 11 1/2 years. It's great working in the auto industry!! So, what's this thing called a sick day that you speak of??
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Our sick leave we get 4 hours per pay period (every 2 weeks) from the day we start to the day we die. You can use it or not. Or you can use it for "family sick leave" (sick child or parent) you're "supposed" to be limited on this but most management are very generous and open if the family member is OBVIOUSLY in need. If you're out for more than 3 days you're "supposed" to bring in a Doctor's note but again...most management is lenient in this area if the employee is good. If you don't use it you can accrue it for when and if you should REALLY need it. We never do get paid for it so when a lot of people get close to retirement you'll see them staying home a bit more. There used to be a time in which you could attribute it towards "time" to apply toward your retirment but not anymore.

I really don't understand the logic in the limited sick leave in companies. If you're sick you're sick.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

My husband gets 1 sick day and 1 vacation day a year.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I really don't understand the logic in the limited sick leave in companies. If you're sick you're sick.
    You don't? Really?

I mean you don't think it might be a little hard to run a business and turn a profit if your employees basically never had to come to work??

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    My husband gets 1 sick day and 1 vacation day a year.
    Your husband desperately needs to find a new job.

The one nice thing about my new company is ... while I don't get as much vacation time right out of the gate as I had at my old place ... we get 16 company paid holidays a year! For every major holiday we get one extra day off (i.e. 2 days for July 4th, 2 days for Labor day, etc.) and the entire office shuts down beginning Christmas Eve and doesn't reopen until the week after New Year's Day.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

3 for us. And that's not just because I work part time. Oh, and mine were gone by April of this year.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

No "official" sick days for me. If you are sick, you're sick. If you are sick longer than 3 days, you need a doctors note.

I get 3 weeks of paid vacation and 14 paid holidays.

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media: