Quantcast Disney considering job cuts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney considering job cuts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I saw this item in the news this morning. They're just talking about it right now, and preparing for the worst, so nothing yet.

---

(Reuters) – Walt Disney Co executives have been meeting this week to prepare belt-tightening measures that could include job cuts, the Los Angeles Times said, citing people familiar with the discussions.

The sources told the paper that staff reductions were being contemplated companywide.

Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks, asked senior staff to recommend possible cuts in case the economy deteriorates further, according to the paper.

Other divisions have also been asked to make similar evaluations, the paper said citing one executive.

Walt Disney Co could not be immediately reached for comment by Reuters.

(Reporting by Ajay Kamalakaran in Bangalore, editing by Will Waterman)
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

With the economy like it is, what business isn't looking at ways to cut costs, including possible job cuts. They could just about swap any cmpany name into that article and it would be just as accurate (or not).
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, in this global economy, this is not surprising. All companies will be doing this. This phase of the economy too will pass but it will be painful for many. Wish it wasn't so.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed its scarry right now..
    Normally disney tries hard not to cut but they may begin with the parttimers..
    it will turn around though, it has to.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seasonal right now and I'm hoping they don't axe us. It's certainly going to end up being an advantage to the FTs since most ended up losing hours.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

DW's department has been much more liberal lately in allowing CMs to "ER" (Early Release) - leave before the end of the assigned shift - unpaid, of course.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney considering job cuts

Given the economic downward spiral this is not surprising. My heart goes out to anyone with a job loss anywhere. Sorry to hear this.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't surprised either. As others have posted, with the current economy you could put almost any business name in that article.

I work for a public company myself. We were notified of a required "vacation" during the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas. Luckily I have enough vacation to take but others are having to "borrow" vacation days. I think we are just thankful that it is just a vacation and not permanent.

My wishes go out to everyone that is facing hard times due to the economy... Disney personnel as well and those employed elsewhere... pixie dust to you all.
    Off Site - December 1999
    POFQ - June 2008
    AK Kidani Village - May 2009
    AKV Kidani Village - October 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

Many seasonal CMs are getting zero hours right now, while part timers get maybe two shifts a week. College Program kids are working 40 hours plus because they are the lowest paid, and they receive no benefits. There are rumors of a 5000+ layoff of full time CMs.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    Many seasonal CMs are getting zero hours right now, while part timers get maybe two shifts a week. College Program kids are working 40 hours plus because they are the lowest paid, and they receive no benefits. There are rumors of a 5000+ layoff of full time CMs.
    I got a whopping three days next week! I was excited! Hey, it was better than the last two weeks of zero hours!

Post Thanks / Like

. . . There are rumors of a 5000+ layoff of full time CMs . . .
    1) Who really knows?
    2) But he latest rumors are
    . . . 5,000 CM's from entertainment/parks/merchandise
    . . . 16,000 CM's overall (hourly, office, techinical, professional)
    3) I haven't heard anything about managerial or College Program layoffs.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's happening!

I have several close friends who work for Disney in different capacities, and all are feeling this. Two have been completely removed from schedules with zero hours until further notice, three have been cut from f/t to p/t and the other two are chewing their nails.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't just single out those at the bottom of the totem pole and, instead, will actually find management to toss overboard. If you have to reduce costs, and job cuts are your method of doing so, you should look long and hard at those employees who cost you the most rather than those who are least connected politically within the organization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Who really knows?
    2) But he latest rumors are
    . . . 5,000 CM's from entertainment/parks/merchandise
    . . . 16,000 CM's overall (hourly, office, techinical, professional)
    3) I haven't heard anything about managerial or College Program layoffs.
    WOW... I'm in shock. I'd of never expected that many. Is it going to be the "last in, first out" deal with to who gets the axe? Is this number also spread out across the entire company? or just the FL parks?
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuts

Of those mentioned in my earlier post, three have been employees for more than 13 years, 11 years and 10 years respectively!

Here where my husband and I work for a municipality that was more than two million short and unable to certify free cash, MANY job cuts have been made regardless of tenure, etc., as elementary educator, three schools closed and were merged into remaining ones, causing plenty of us to lose our jobs and where my husband is working on municipal side his job has been financially cut and could be completely replaced with "contracted" out services, so nobody is safe right now!!

Post Thanks / Like

That is really sad. No wonder everyone hates the CPs.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

My biggest problem is the hours for the CPs. The Entertainment CPs are pretty good about their roles - the best I've seen out of all the locations I've worked so they aren't a problem to me or my work environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    My biggest problem is the hours for the CPs. The Entertainment CPs are pretty good about their roles - the best I've seen out of all the locations I've worked so they aren't a problem to me or my work environment.
    I have loved everyone I have worked with in entertainment. The people there are great. I can't wait to come back down (hopefully in May).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing my Senior Project for my Bachelors degree right now on Walt Disney Co. and their 3rd quarter revenue was up for every department except Disney studios. Parks & resorts and consumer products were up the most. They are releasing the 4th quarter today. I would think they would only cut jobs if they were losing money not making it.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laward32 View Post
    I would think they would only cut jobs if they were losing money not making it.
    Revenue is important, but so is the stock price. Disney stock is down to $23 a share, so the execs are under a lot of pressure to reduce costs and encourage investors. Layoffs are a quick way to reduce costs, but the resulting impact on customer service (The "Disney Magic") can be catastrophic. They are walking a fine line here.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: