Quantcast Buy BLT or VWL???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

southern Indiana - 16 hours away from paradise
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buy BLT or VWL???

We are the proud new owners of 100 BCV points but we are already wanting to add-on more. We can't decide between BLT and VWL.
    We like the fact that you can walk to MK from BLT but that is about as far as our love for BLT goes. Mom really dislikes the design. Doesn't look as "home-like" as she would like. The VWL seem more welcoming and inviting but you can't walk to MK. How is the boat transportation to MK? Would we be just as happy using the boat as we would be walking from MK to BLT? Is giving up the ease of walking to MK worth gaining a more "homey" room?
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR
    '09--Pop and BCV -- Our first trip "home"
    '08--Pop and Poly-1st P&PP
    '07--Pop Century - 1st MNSSHP
    '07--ASMu--First family trip
    Many, many trips as a child with my parents

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Okay ... a couple things to know before I give you my opinion ...

First, Wilderness Lodge is one of our favorite resorts on property. It's the first resort DW and I stayed in when we went to WDW together, plus it's the first resort DD ever stayed in as well.

Second thing to know ... we bought into BLT right after it went on sale.

I'd have to go with BLT. First and foremost, it's going to be brand new and state of the art. It's going to have that great roof-top viewing area for the fireworks that will only be open to DVC members. The pool looks like it's going to be really nice.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Buy where you want to stay... There is a healthy debate going on regarding the waitlist process and the pros and cons associated with it.

Many folks are having a difficult time staying outside of their home resort. Using points inside of the 7 month window is getting harder and harder to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The WL boat runs about every 20 minutes and takes less than 10 minutes. There is also bus service which is right outside the VWL entrance. Last week it ran about ever 10 minutes and took about 5 minutes. We actually started using it over the boat and found it the more convenient of the two.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Buy where you want to stay... There is a healthy debate going on regarding the waitlist process and the pros and cons associated with it.

Many folks are having a difficult time staying outside of their home resort. Using points inside of the 7 month window is getting harder and harder to do.

I knew someone was going to tells us that. We really like both resorts. VWL just seems a little less "stuffy" while BLT seems a whole lot easier. We would also have to buy VWL through a resale but that would also save us money.

But as far as buying where we want to stay...We'd love to be able to make BOTH of these our home resorts but right now that just isn't possible. (Actually I'll be lucky if we go ahead and just add-on one....Mom can be quite "conservative" when it comes to making purchases and this won't happen without her.)
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR

Post Thanks / Like

We own at both VWL and BLT, and they are very different.

BLT is a modern lakeside tower with luxurious decor and fantastic views of the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake. You can walk to the MK or take the monorail to MK, other resorts (for dining), or Epcot.

VWL has a magnificently rendered theme (probably the best)! It has a quiet, peaceful and romantic setting. You're just a relaxing boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom (but must take buses for everything else).

We love both resorts!
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

yes, BLT has the monorail but you have to take the bridge over to the CR to get to the monorail.

I too did not get the homey feeling from BLT. VWL is my favorite. Buses are fast and right outside the Villas plus you have the boat to MK as well.

Sometimes the bus is faster then the boat but if you are not in a hurry...the boat is also a joy.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing like walking into the lodge the first day of vacation. The feeling is priceless. You are home. I don't know that you'll feel the same way at BLT.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Smile blt or vwl

buy some of both. vwl is the one that feels just like a cosey home the minute you walk in. but blt also has a number of wonderful things to offer.

i just returned from a week at akv concierge and had the most marvelous time.

which ever you do, just do it. it is the most marvelous timeshare in the world and wdw the most marvelouse vacation place in the world. i guess i will never get enough of disney and dvc has made it so much better. i recommend it to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ldc12377 View Post
    I knew someone was going to tells us that. We really like both resorts. VWL just seems a little less "stuffy" while BLT seems a whole lot easier. We would also have to buy VWL through a resale but that would also save us money.

But as far as buying where we want to stay...We'd love to be able to make BOTH of these our home resorts but right now that just isn't possible. (Actually I'll be lucky if we go ahead and just add-on one....Mom can be quite "conservative" when it comes to making purchases and this won't happen without her.)
    I get so tired of hearing this mantra of "buy where you want to stay". Yes, at times it can be difficult to get into the resort that you want at 7 months out. But first - all of the resorts are beautiful and we have found that after being DVC members for almost 8 years now that we enjoy staying in different ones. I have a hard time understanding why folks feel they have to stay at the same resort every time. It is fun to try the different resorts and they each have their own charm and positive aspects (location, decor, etc)

Second - it is NOT as difficult as everyone makes it out to be to stay outside of your home resort. We own at both Vero and SSR and have been to WDW about 15 times since 2001 and have only stayed at SSR once. We always have to go during the times when school is out so we go during the busier seasons (Spring Break, summer). So obviously it works for us to stay outside of our home resort.

We also know when the busy times are and make our ressies accordingly. For example, we are going at the busiest time for DVC 12/18-12/23 this year. I booked at us at SSR at 11 months out because I KNOW it would be difficult to stay anywhere at 7 months out. We are looking forward to our 2nd stay at SSR for Christmas!

So, as far as your decision, I say go with either one knowing that you WILL be able to stay at both of these resorts at some point as long as you are flexible.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
    So, as far as your decision, I say go with either one knowing that you WILL be able to stay at both of these resorts at some point as long as you are flexible.
    While I'm in the same boat as you, I don't go nuts if I don't get my way 100% of the time. We have bene members at BWV since 2000, in that time we've always been able to stay someplace else, a couple of times we've stayed at BWV out of choice. On WDW property we've only NOT stayed at OKW and while all have been satisfactory, there are some that are more towards the bottom of the list if given a choice.

We also vacation at peak times during the year, and I would suggest for those in my boat, buy where you want to stay. While you may not NEED to stay there all the time, there are ties when that may be all that's available. And to save yourself some disappointment, make sure you don't hate your home resort.

That's all I'm saying... You can't go wrong really, but you can make things a little more right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    That's all I'm saying... You can't go wrong really, but you can make things a little more right.
    I guess if you really think about it, you can't really go wrong with any of the DVC resorts because they are all in a better location than me on most days. All of the DVC resorts are closer to the magic than my house so that in itself makes them all equally wonderful!! I guess I need to just stop sweating the small stuff and be thankful that we have points at all. (There are actually people in the world who don't...gasp) Thank you all for the information though. It will come in handy if and would we decide to buy more points.
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR

Post Thanks / Like

Have you actually seen both resorts in person? I think that might go a way toward making a decision.

If your mom really dislikes the design of BLT she might have buyer's remorse in the future. Or after visiting she might love the amenities so much that the design doesn't matter.

On the other hand, even though I love the whole atmosphere at Wilderness Lodge, I find the VWL rooms a little dark (not gloomy, just darker) compared with the decor of other DVC rooms. They definitely got the "lodge" feel right.

The boat ride to and from VWL is one of the highlights of staying there. It's like a mini attraction in itself.

As far as getting into either resort if you're not a home-resort owner, it is difficult to get into VWL at any time because the number of rooms there is one of the fewest in DVC.

And my guess is that it will be very difficult to get into BLT, at least in the first several years. I also happen to think your odds of getting the MK view as a non-home resort owner will be next to impossible (unless you get really lucky right at the 7-month window during the least populated weeks.)

One other issue -- right now the number of years you would own at BLT is many more than VWL. And I believe that after a few years, BLT will be one of the easiest DVC contracts to resell should you ever consider such a dismal thing.

Good luck with your decision! I wish I were in your position!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I discussed this and for us, the view that you get from your room is nice, but the feeling you get "coming home" each day is much more important. If we want to see fireworks I will go to the park, or the California Grill, or go down to the beach or off to the side of the lodge and you will catch them. But trust us, there is NOTHING like pulling up to the lodge and feeling immediately at home. Have a park free day? Wander around the lodge, or a walk at night and you will realize what a great choice you made. We can guarantee that!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buy BLT or VWL???

Quote Originally Posted by ldc12377 View Post
    We are the proud new owners of 100 BCV points but we are already wanting to add-on more. We can't decide between BLT and VWL.
    We like the fact that you can walk to MK from BLT but that is about as far as our love for BLT goes. Mom really dislikes the design. Doesn't look as "home-like" as she would like. The VWL seem more welcoming and inviting but you can't walk to MK. How is the boat transportation to MK? Would we be just as happy using the boat as we would be walking from MK to BLT? Is giving up the ease of walking to MK worth gaining a more "homey" room?
    If you think about what is more important to you and your mom it might help you decide. For instance, is the proximity to MK (being able to walk to the park) most important or is it the feel of the resort (sounds like your mom prefers the feeling better at WL)?

All the DVCs are wonderful and in the end personal preference is a matter of personal taste. Make a list with the pros and cons of both BLT and VWL and then go with your gut. You and your family will make the right choice. How nice to have choices!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Not that it might make a difference, but it's expected that BLT will also have the lowest maintenance fees. Maintenance fees cover a lot of the landscaping and ground work (as well as other things)......at BLT....it's a tower. There is little landscaping to work with.

I personally, was not impressed with BLT as much, but we are buying there anyway. We own at a lot of places, and we own at VWL as well. I love WL probably the best of the ones I've stayed at. It's really quite nice and it's perfect for when you stay during the winter time.

However, we did a test run at staying at the CR, and I loved falling asleep, looking out my window to the Castle. It was such an amazing view, and being able to watch Wishes from you balcony was great. The design was what wasn't that impressive from the models (on our visit we were in the main building and hence, CM was obnoxiously loud and we were on the 10th floor).

Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation is that you stay at VWL if possible before you buy anywhere. We wish we had. We loved WL, so when VWL came up for sale, we bought there. On our first visit, it just wasn't our cup of tea. I'm not sure why, but we loved OKW, and ended up having to do the sell/buy thing to be OKW owners. So I'm a big proponent of stay there before you buy there.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have an immediate need to buy, the advice to book a stay at both and see which you feel best suits you might just payoff in the long run.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

How mobile is your mother? That may help you decide.

We just got back from a stay at WL and my father (68) got tired of the buses and the walking, as he was starting to be in a lot of pain from his arthritis and walking on concrete all day. By Day 5, he needed to rent a ECV in EPCOT. He said, "Next time we're staying at a monorail resort."

My mother (66) was sore for two weeks from walking up and down the ramp to/from our room and Roaring Fork. There were ten of us in rooms 2004, 2022, 2023 and 2031 and the only elevator access to our rooms was to go down the ramp, past the Roaring Fork and up the elevator by the laundry room. Now, there are only 30 or so rooms in that section of the main hotel, but your room at the villas could be at the end of a very long hallway.

So you might want to consider her current and future mobility when making your decision.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: