Quantcast Up -- Disney/Pixar (Now on DVD) - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

If you attended a digital showing of Up (whether in 2D or 3D)- did your theater also show the Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" before the main feature?

Theaters showing up in digital projection should have shown a Toy Story 3 teaser trailer, the Partly Cloudy short and then the main feature (traditional film presentations have "The Princess and the Frog" attached to them in place of the Toy Story 3 teaser)

I have seen a number of comments and reports (and even personally attended a screening yesterday in 3D) where they did not show the Pixar short before the movie and have reported this to some contacts I have at the Disney Studios and Pixar so they can follow up with the theater operators, but am curious to see if this really is a more widespread issue than initially thought.

If your theater projected a traditional film print, then you should not have been affected since the Princess and the Frog trailer and Partly Cloudy are part of the first reel of the film.

I know from my personal dealings with colleagues at Pixar that they are very particular about the presentation standards for their films, and it is particularly troubling that a number of moviegoers missed out on getting to see the accompanying short.

Even when I personally complained to the particular local theater's management on duty about the missing short, they seemed to not care and I feel bad for those other customers who attended and had no idea that they missed out on the short (I overheard a number of comments from people who were a bit confused that there wasn't the traditional short before the film).

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i saw this movie last night, and i can't even express how much i loved it. it was so wonderful, and funny and sad, but ultimately uplifting.
    i think the sad parts will be over the heads of most kids, but this is a film to go see with someone you love. i think it was even more touching than wall-e. it may be my new favorite pixar (i'll have to wait a while for it to settle in to be sure) do not miss it

and i can't wait for the talking dug plush toys to come out (i hope they will make them, i want one!)
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mufasa ... I totally forgot about Partly Cloudy I enjoyed Up so much ... yes, I saw it, and I thought it was one of the best shorts that Pixar has made. I was also SO impressed with Princess and the Frog trailer ... the animation is SO rich and the movie looks really good!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

This movie blew me away.
    wow..
    it was sad, happy, touching, heartwarming.
    I love how pixar can develop the characters.. i fell in love w/ these characters...
    and it always blows me away how pixar is able to develop their story w/o any talking...there was a 10 minute period early in the movie where there's no talking....but it's the most important part of the movie....what great story telling.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Pixar goes `Up' with $68.2 million debut weekend

LOS ANGELES (AP) – The animated action comedy "Up" is soaring in its first weekend at theaters.

According to distributor Walt Disney, the film from Pixar Animation pulled in $68.2 million.

That's the third-best opening weekend for a Pixar animated film, just behind the $70 million debuts for "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles." "Up" came in about $5 million ahead of Pixar's "WALL-E" last summer.

Factoring in higher admission prices, some other early Pixar movies such as "Toy Story 2" and "Monsters, Inc." also sold more tickets than "Up" over their first weekends.

Critics gave glowing reviews to "Up," the story of a lonely widower who ties helium balloons to his house and flies off on a South American adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, where did I leave my anti-depressants & when does group therapy start? Someone asked if this was appropriate for a 3 year old? I don't know if it was appropriate for a 42 year old!
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disney's Santa Fe Resort-Paris
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris
    Disney Magic(8)
    Disney Wonder(2)
    Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go Go Go UP UP UP!!!!!

Up was fantastic. Not at all what I thought it would be. Go see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to merge this post with the existing thread on "Up" - - just a little housekeeping.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    If you attended a digital showing of Up (whether in 2D or 3D)- did your theater also show the Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" before the main feature?
    Oh, so there was supposed to be a short prior to the film? I had assumed that they just didn't make one this time around. I wonder why the short isn't being shown in some places. By the way, I saw it in 3-D.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    Oh, so there was supposed to be a short prior to the film? I had assumed that they just didn't make one this time around. I wonder why the short isn't being shown in some places. By the way, I saw it in 3-D.
    Thanks for the feedback as every bit of data helps to narrow down the exact cause of why some theaters did not show the short.

I'd certainly suggest following up with your theater to report the issue to them if you can (especially since you were missed out on enjoying a wonderful short).

With a digital presentation a playlist (not unlike putting together an MP3 playlist on your computer) is assembled where the feature film is one file, the Toy Story 3 teaser is another file and the pixar short is a separately encoded file.

There are several areas that could be the root underlying problem- is it a computer issue (particular hardware/projector combination at fault?). It could always be theater/human operator error and they did not properly build the playlist or perhaps did not properly install the keys for playback. O perhaps the digital file itself was corrupted.

All theaters should ahead of time go through a QC check and Disney/Pixar send out several reps to screenings across the country to check for issues but I have even read a report of a press screening where a studio publicist noticed that the short wasn't screened prior to Up and had them stop and restart the presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mac badger View Post
    and i can't wait for the talking dug plush toys to come out (i hope they will make them, i want one!)
    A 11" talking Dug plush is available now- It's around $20 I believe and says 7 different phrases when you press on his paw.

You can also get talking plush figures of the other dogs in the pack- Alpha, Beta and Gamma

Up at Pixar, Bob Peterson (co-writer/co-director who voices Dug and Alpha and previously voiced Roz in Monsters Inc. and Mr. Ray from Finding Nemo)- one day they fitted a real dog with a fake translator collar like the movie (which hid a microphone/speaker) and set up hidden cameras so Bob could remotely talk as Dug and improv lines while he sat in a hidden room and surprised a lot of people visiting the campus and playing around with this dog.

Post Thanks / Like

We saw UP in digital 3D. We saw both the Toy Story 3 trailer and the Partly Cloudy short.

UP was a very good movie, I really enjoyed it. I didn't catch where A113 was in it, but I did see the ball and the Pizza Planet truck. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend you see it.

Partly Cloudy was good, too. They are doing some good work on their shorts.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

We saw the "traditional" format-no 3D. We saw the preview for The Princess and the Frog and the short Partly Cloudy. The short was great!!

UP! Was better than I expected, by far. It was a great movie. Like previous posters, I teared up and laughed. One of my favorite Disney/Pixar films (and I soooo didn't expect much from it!)!!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it in 3D, got the short but not the Princess and the Frog Trailer
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Would you like your very own 3-D "Carl", "Russell" or Carl's house suspended below thousands of balloons?

CLICK HERE

Suggestion ~~ Print them on very heavy paper or light card stock.

I have a "Carl" being held vertical by slipping him over a bottle of vitamins (appropriately enough!).

There are a few other related craft projects on that same page.

Enjoy!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    So, I took the boys on my own. We had to leave about 30 min into the film.
    I'm sorry it didn't work out.
    Jane Agnes Banks
    I was aka Agnes in VMK

"Course heading, Captain?"
    "Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning."
    --Chekov and Kirk
    The Undiscovered Country

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the traditional version (for some reason 3-D movies give me a headache). I loved the short - it was so funny. It had everyone laughing out loud.
    I wasn't really sure exactly what Up was going to be about. The trailors left a lot to the imagination. This movie is one of my favorite Pixar movies. I laughed, I almost cried, and I enjoyed the meaning behind the movie. Without giving away any of the plot, this movie really hit home with me and a recent loss I went through. I think MANY people will relate to the story like I did and will love it as much as I did.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

We saw UP last night in Digital 3D at the AMC theater in Tustin. We had both the Partly Cloudy short, as well as the Toy Story 3 Trailer.

I thought Partly Cloudy was great. I just love how the 3D animation and textures just get better and better.

UP was fantastic. I really enjoyed the movie. Great characters and animation. My wife thought the movie was good. I had more appreciation for the detail animation as well as the story. Pixar amazes me with each film they do.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

We finally got to see it tonight - in digital 3D. We live in SW Ohio and the theater did show Partly Cloudy and the Toy Story 3 trailer. We loved Partly Cloudy!! I would love to see it again. I look forward to the shorts and would have been very disappointed if they didn't show it. I'm kinda bummed we didn't get to see the Princess & the Frog trailer. Our girls (and me too) would have loved it.

As for the movie itself, it was spectacular! I loved how the 3D just draws you into the film itself. It is executed so well that I forgot I was wearing the glasses. The story is so heartwarming. It is refreshing to see a movie that is truly for everyone. From our 6 year old daughter to her 41 year old Dad - we all teared up, laughed, worried, giggled, etc.

I am wondering if there is a soundtrack available. I looked on a few websites but cannot find anything. I hope it is released soon - I love the music of all Disney/Pixar films!
    Amy
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say that I was skeptical about it. Didn't seem like much of a story line, as someone indicated above the trailer stunk. Also, Ed Asner ... really?!?

It turned out to be a great, funny and heart-warming film. The graphics were awesome and it was easy to warm up to "Carl" in the beginning of the movie, despite preconceptions about him from the trailer.

Our family recommends it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: