Quantcast Wait, Really?? REALLY??? - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know everyone scoffs at the notion that the Eagles could ever not sell out a game, but I don't agree. If they keep this up they'll find out just how quickly things can fall apart.
    Throw in the state of the economy and how many people are unemployed and it may happen even quicker than that.
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Right ... think about how this sounds for a minute ...

This team is $48 MILLION under the salary cap. Yet they let a truly beloved member of the team walk away over a couple million bucks.

At the same time, they raised ticket prices in an economy where most companies are trying to give things away just to keep their heads above water.

Does this sound like a group that gets it to you??
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Does this sound like a group that gets it to you??
    IMHO - it seems to me that few people worth what Lurie is worth acrually do get it. I mean, the team is worth $1 Billion. Few billionaires "get it". The only one who does is probably Warren Buffett, since he doesn't live like a billionaire.

Lurie doesn't get it because the waiting list for season tickets is about the number of seats that are in the entire Linc. Once the economy starts seriously eroding the waiting list, then maybe he will get it, but not until at least then, if at all.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree, Amanda.

First off, I don't think Lurie and Banner have ever really understood or connected with this town and the fan base. This is a "lunch pail" town and he comes from the Blue Bloods of Boston.

Secondly, this entire franchise, for whatever reason, just exudes a certain level of inexplicable arrogance. The whole baloney with the "gold standard" and "pedal to the metal" and all that ... for a team with ZERO Lombardi's, their high-and-mighty routine is just so hard to understand and tolerate.

Truth is, there's NO WAY any meaningful change is going to come to this organization unless Lurie gets seriously embarrassed somehow (like 3 or 4 Lions-esque performances) or if he gets hit squarely in the wallet.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

You're right about the two years, Ian, word is they didn't offer him two. I posted that when that was still the word on WIP, before Eskin and his sources reported on it.

Anyway, I agree that his skills had eroded and he isn't the same player that he once was, but they wouldn't have offered him anything at all if they truly felt that he couldn't play at a high level. The fact that they made him an offer means that they wanted him back. Like I said before and like you have said, this was only about money. I don't understand why they couldn't overpay the guy for taking less on his last FOUR contracts with the team. He gave them a hometown discount every time and was never the highest paid safety even when he was the best safety in the game.
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Okay ... so Dawk was on Sports Talk 950 with Jodi Mac today and here's kind of the gist of what he said. This was also somewhat confirmed on 610 this morning by Hugh Douglas:

Basically, this is his story on the turn of events with the Eagles (at a very high level):
    1. Dawk sits down to negotiate with Eagles
    2. Eagles repeatedly remind him he is 36
    3. Eagles downplay his ability excessively and lowball him
    4. Dawkins is offended enough to walk away and test the free agent market for the first time in his career (most likely at the encouragement of his agent)
    5. Dawkins goes to Denver and they blow him away with the offer (he said basically the offer he signed was the one they came at him with out of the gate)
    6. In a fit of anger and resentment at the Eagles he decides to sign the Denver offer
    7. He never gave the Eagles a chance to counter the Denver deal because, in his words, they gave him the impression there was no room for negotiation
    8. There was evidence he might be having some buyers remorse and wishes he had taken more time to think it over and possibly give the Eagles another shot
    The entire interview will be broadcast on 950 at 10AM tomorrow.

Also, Banner is supposed to be on with Eskin tomorrow at some point. Not sure when, but it will most likely be available as a podcast on their site when it's over.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

wow... just wow. I certainly can't blame him...
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I know people (myself included) who are returning to their original sports fan roots and switching their primary allegiance back to the Phils from the Eagles.
    Probelm is that you are in the minority.
    Philadelphia is and always has been a football town. Heck, the Flyers are the 2nd rooting interest most years over the Phillies.

Basically, this is his story on the turn of events with the Eagles (at a very high level):
    Dawk sits down to negotiate with Eagles
    Eagles repeatedly remind him he is 36
    Eagles downplay his ability excessively and lowball him
    Dawkins is offended enough to walk away and test the free agent market for the first time in his career (most likely at the encouragement of his agent)
    Dawkins goes to Denver and they blow him away with the offer (he said basically the offer he signed was the one they came at him with out of the gate)
    In a fit of anger and resentment at the Eagles he decides to sign the Denver offer
    He never gave the Eagles a chance to counter the Denver deal because, in his words, they gave him the impression there was no room for negotiation
    There was evidence he might be having some buyers remorse and wishes he had taken more time to think it over and possibly give the Eagles another shot
    So, it goes back to what I said originally - age.

Also from the interview:
    Was owner Jeffrey Lurie involved in the negotiations?
    “I don’t know if he was involved in the negotiation, but I feel like if perhaps he was things would be different right now.”

Interesting statement there from Dawkins about Lurie.

And what doesn't Lurie get?
    He is a businessman,period. The Eagles are worth 5X what they were when he bought team. Why? Becuase he thinks with his head, not his heart like too many Eagles fans.

To me when a fan says "This group doesn't get it" it translates to "I am mad because the front office doesn't do as I, the fan, says."
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Probelm is that you are in the minority.
    Philadelphia is and always has been a football town. Heck, the Flyers are the 2nd rooting interest most years over the Phillies.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. This town was, first and foremost, a baseball town for a long, long time.

It wasn't until Buddy Ryan got here and the Eagles actually started winning a few games that people came back to the Birds. Before that, I remember empty stadiums and blacked out games a plenty.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: