Quantcast Worst Dining Places

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst Dining Places

It's not often that you'll have a bad meal in WDW, but some places just do not measure up to what you'd hope for or expect. So what are some of the worst places you've eaten at in WDW?

The one that comes to my mind right away was Mama Melrose (located in the Hollywood Studios near MuppetVision). My wife and I love italian food and everything about our meal was just bad, most likely because of the sauces they used. The sauces were just disgusting, the food itself was extremely bland (chicken being somewhat tough and slightly undercooked), and the desert (a tiramisu cake) tasted like it was still partially frozen and was thawing out. Needless to say that's not a place we'll be dining in again or recommending to others.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i am so happy to hear that,i canceled our reservation for mama melrose and booked one for ohana's instead!
    everywhere we ate last time was pretty basic,so no dissapointments to report
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

That is too bad. We have never had a bad meal there and go there almost every trip. It is our favorite at Hollywood Studios.
    Cheloconnell :)

DVC Member Since 2008: BLT, GF, AK, OKW, HH

Post Thanks / Like

It's so funny - every time someone posts about a terrible, awful experience they had at a restaurant, there's someone who says they love it and go every year.

I'm a big fan of Coral Reef, but I've heard many people say they hate it. I was very so-so about Yak and Yeti, but I've heard others simply rave about it.

I don't think any restaurant is always great or always bad. They're all pretty good, but with that number of restaurants, cooks, and servers, there's always going to be a certain percentage of tables who have a bad experience.

I'd just go for the food and experience you want. You'll probably have a great time. If you don't, just shrug your shoulders and realize that a bad time at Disneyworld is still better than a good time at work!
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M View Post
    It's so funny - every time someone posts about a terrible, awful experience they had at a restaurant, there's someone who says they love it and go every year.

I don't think any restaurant is always great or always bad.
    I agree totally. I've heard people rave about Ohana, but we ate there this last trip and found it mediocre at best. We definitely will never go back there ... not with so many other places to choose from.

It's all a matter of taste. I also think the meals are, at times, inconsistent. I know I ate at Le Cellier once and had a terrible meal ... I got beef stroganoff and it was no better than cafeteria grade. You could tell the noodles had been cooked and then dipped in boiling water to re-heat them. The sauce was all watery and runny ... it was one of the worst meals I ever had.

But I've been back many times since then and had superior food. So I encourage people to give more than one try to a place before you cross it off your list for good. Could be you just hit them on a bad day.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The only place we have dinned and disliked was Tony's in the Magic Kingdom. The food was bland and nothing special.

I loved the Yak & Yeti. It was a pleasant surprise on a very cold day at the AK. Food, service and drinks were wonderful. Even my kids who never stray from chicken loved the lo mein and burgers.
    Caribbean Beach 2002
    Port Orleans-Riverside 2005
    All Star Movies 2006
    Port Orleans-Riverside 2007
    Planning Beach Club 2009

Post Thanks / Like

mrs buster agrees.
    try every place twice.
    we didnt like YnY on the first try but loved it since.
    her vote for worst dinning -BOMA
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by busterthebronco View Post
    her vote for worst dinning -BOMA
    I liked the food at Boma, but I wish they had had some explanation of what the food was. I mean, it was good, but I didn't know what it was or where it was from, or anything. That would have been cool.
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

This just shows you how different everyone's taste is. We LOVE Mama Melrose and go every trip. We've tried a couple of places that people rave about and we totally detested and will not go back--Whispering Canyon Cafe, Boatwright's (dinner), Hollywood & Vine and Brown Derby. Then there are places we love that people detest: Yak & Yeti, LeCellier, Mama Melrose, Fulton's, etc.). All just a matter of taste and expectations.
    Split Stay--AKL and CSR in 2010???

Post Thanks / Like

There is only one restaurant we will not try again. Sci-Fi. The night we were there it was awful! The food was terrible and the service was almost as bad.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Momma Melrose 4 times. The first two times we had a good meal and the third time the meal was OK? This last summer we went and it was one of our best meals of the week. I truly believe how your day has gone to that point and also your server determine a huge percentage of your meal quality. It seems that every time we have a great server our meal is above average! Also if it is really crowded or hot your patience is on edge and we have a hard time relaxing to enjoy the meal. IMHO!
    POFQ Jan 2011
    Saratoga Springs May 2010
    POFQ May 2009 and Sept 2009
    POFQ Aug 2008
    POFQ Sept. and March 2007
    POFQ March 2006
    POFQ March 2005 POR July 2005
    POR Dec 2005
    CS August 2004
    Contemporary & POR May/June 2003
    CB May 2002
    OKW 2001
    Disney villas 2000

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we've ever had any "bad" meals, but probably the weakest one on our last trip was Chef Mickey's. Pretty mediocre food, and a lot of it not even hot. But I must admit, you don't really go to Chef Mickey's for the food alone! I'm always surprised by the absolute venom some people describe certain restaurants with, though. I often see the 'barfing face' icon for both Boma and Akershus, and I think that's overkill. I liked both, but even the restaurants I've liked less haven't been AWFUL. Reminds me of a funny from last trip, though! My younger daughter misheard a bit of a conversation I was having with my older daughter. Morgan was saying that she was "really looking forward to tomorrow". Kiana thought she was talking about trying out Islands of Adventure, which reputedly has some pretty intense roller coasters. Morgan had ACTUALLY been talking about going to Boma's - so you can imagine how we laughed when Kiana said "Me too! I wonder if there will be lots of screaming and vomitting?!"

Post Thanks / Like

I won't say they are the worst dining places because things change and everyone has favorites. But my worst dining experiences at Disney were:

1. Coral Reef
    2. Kona Cafe
    3. Rainforest Cafe
    4. Boatwright's
    5. Hollywood and Vine
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I really hesitated to even read this thread. So much of food is personal taste that its almost a bit unfair to rate 'the worst' places. I suspect that given enough reviews almost every place at Disney will have someone say its the worst they had. For us its Rose and Crown because even the beer was bad the night we went.

But I am please so many responses in this thread saying that you should try places at least twice, and saying that some people will love some places and others will not.

All that said, with the number of positive reviews for Rose and Crown we are thinking of trying agin (we have been twice before). Why, well restaurants change, especially the chefs and chefs assistants. The restaurant business is one in which cooking staff change almost constantly (chefs find some assitants just can't do the job). For that reason, having a poor experience 6 months or a year ago doesn't mean you will this time and you can't say a place will will either be always good or always bad. It will change.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We just decided to stop going to Character buffets. It seems that the yuckiest food and worst service is always at a buffet.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say we have ever had a bad meal.. Not really. OK so PIzza PLanet is a "never to return" stop (but not really a dining place), Sci-Fi food is OK, but honestly, your not there "for the food", the food at Boma was very good, but the server was awful. So positives and negatives combined, I have never said, "ugh that was horrible". Again, it is all based on tastes and expectations. When I am on vacation I generally do not let things like food, etc become an issue for me. And there is no food that can't taste better when chased by a nice glass of beer!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just adding my agreement to the thought about trying again if you had a not-so-great experience the first time. We didn't like a CS location at DHS at all one year and decided to never go back.....Starring Rolls Bakery. After reading many on Intercot say how much they liked it, we decided to give it another try. Now it's one of our not-to-be-missed spots for a quick snack or lunch.
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

This truly is one of those questions that gets very VERY individualized responses. Even within our family we have disagreements about some places.
    I think the inconsistency that has taken hold EVERYWHERE at WDW is part of it. As several posters have mentioned, you can go to a place twice and have totally different experiences each time. Then you have to decide...which time was the fluke?

Based on our experiences, I wouldn't mind if we never went to either Hollywood & Vine or the breakfast @ Tusker House again. But without much effort you can find threads filled with comments from people that think they are wonderful.
    The bottom line is there are plenty of choices out there and you would have to be incredibly hard to please to not find something you enjoy.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading these makes you think twice before eating a a certain restaurant. Same with booking a resort. Everyone has different opinions. I eat what sounds good to me-sure I read the other posts, but then I start 2nd guessing myself, but usually keep my first choices. We LOVE coral reef, the italian restuarant in Epcot(cant remember), Boma, and Tony's, however, some just cant stand them. We just ate at Chef Mickeys and felt that the food was nothing better than you would get at Denny's or any buffet, but you go their for the experience, not the food.

Again--you are in Disney!!
    1974 Off Site
    1975 Off Site
    1985 Off Site
    1989 Off site
    1994 Off Site
    2000 Dixie Landings
    Mar 2007 POR
    Mar 2008 POR
    Nov 2008 CSR
    Mar 2009 POP
    Mar/Apr 2010-POR
    Jun 2010--POR
    Mar 2011--All Star Sports
    Aug 2011-All Star Sports
    Dec 2012-POR
    Feb 2014-POR
    2015-POR
    2016-POR

Post Thanks / Like

I have a suggestion that I defy anyone to disagree with...do not go to Boma, then Tusker House, because TH is basically Boma light and you'll be disappointed. If you're going to them both, do TH first and you'll feel like you're "upgrading" to Boma.

(And at the risk of someone saying "I disagree, I really love X restaurant" or "its all a matter of taste and chance"...I went to Mama Melrose and Garden Grille years ago and unless every other place is booked, I'd never step foot in either of them again...scratch that, I'd do a quick service meal rather than go to either of them.)

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: