Quantcast Was your preschooler afraid in Philharmagic?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Was your preschooler afraid in Philharmagic?

Hi all,

When I was in Mickey's Philharmagic years ago, I remember lots of kids crying - afraid of the dark? the things "jumping out" at them from the screen? I didn't poll them on their ages, of course

If you took your preschooler in, how did he or she do? If they were not afraid, was there something you said ahead of time or during it to ease any potential fears?

My son will be 4.5 years at the time of our trip, and he's never been in a movie theater... although he's seen his fair share of Disney cartoons at home and loves Donald Duck.

Thanks in advance,
    Jane Agnes Banks
    I was aka Agnes in VMK

"Course heading, Captain?"
    "Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning."
    --Chekov and Kirk
    The Undiscovered Country

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

my DD7 has been going in this attraction for years. She was never scared of it. It's actually one of her favorites! Although I should say that she is not scared of rides. The only ride that got her a few years ago was dinosaur. But now she rides it like a champ
    3/04 CS
    1/05 Pop Century
    12/05 CB
    1/07 WL
    8/07 Pop Century
    1/08 AKL
    08/08 pop
    1/09 pop & ss
    4/09 Pop for DD 8th b-day
    8/09 AKL (welcome home)
    1/10 AKL jambo house
    1/11 AKL jambo
    8/11 Beach Club
    04/12 Lake Buena Vista Suites
    08/12 AKL jambo house

Post Thanks / Like

my DS 5 1/2 has been in it 3 or 4 times. the very first time he LOVED it. He was reaching to touch things that came out at him. I think that I explained that we were going to see a show that you had to wear special glasses in and that it would be dark. I can remember watching him and his reaction most of the show and how much he was taken by it. You should be fine with a little pre-show discussion.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't remember anyone crying after seeing it. My DS4 has been loving Philharmagic since he was old enough to keep the 3D glasses on.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

It really does depend on your child's personality. My DS was 4 (almost 5) when he first saw it and was bothered by the loud noises more than anything. If your child doesn't like the sound of fireworks or sudden loud noises, I would think twice. DS has since seen it the last two years and loves it, but still jumps at the loud noises. He is not a fan of thrill rides, but he enjoys Philharmagic.
    Lisa
    Next: Beach Club, January 2013
    BWI, January 2011
    Dolphin, September 2010
    Dolphin, April 2009
    BWI, December 2008
    Contemporary, December 2007
    Contemporary, December 2006
    AS Music, December 1995
    Travel Lodge (Hotel Plaza), April 1994
    Off site, Spring 1984
    Off site, Summer 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Default Afraid of Philharmagic

We went in 2007 when my DS was 6. He does not like loud noises and did start crying. He had to be taken out. To be honest with you, I thought it was a little loud for me and I used to go to rock concerts in the 80's!
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

We were in Disney at the beginning of December and DD is 2 years old. She LOVED it!! She was so busy trying to catch everything flying through the air, that she did not realize I was holding the 3D glasses on her face the whole time. I guess it really is all about personality maybe a hit or miss at such young ages.

Post Thanks / Like

Niether of my kiddos have ever had a problem with PhilarMagic. Its always been a top 5 family attraction for us!

Now, Its Tough To Be A Bug is a whole other conversation! LOL
    Jessica

Next Up - Aug 09' Wilderness Lodge
    98-08 - Shades of Green
    80-97 - Poly, CR, ASSports and family Condo at Daytona Beach.

Post Thanks / Like

My 4 year old thought it was too loud. She didn't mind the visuals though.
    Mickey Mom of 2
    Coming Up: All-Star Sports 11/08
    Coming Up: CSR 3/09
    All-Star Sports 9/07
    Disneyland 10/06
    WDW Dolphin 7/04
    Off - Site 3/98
    Off - Site 6/93
    Off - Site 4/91
    Off - Site 3/83

Post Thanks / Like

My 5 year old has never liked it.....until I helped her with the experience. The only thing she would watch is when the Ariel's Gems "floated" from the screen. I told her to reach out and grab one. When she did, I told her to wish really hard and put it in my pocket. When she wasn't looking, I bought a bag of gems at the POTC, and later that night during the fireworks, I pulled it out and showed her what her wish could do....she loves the attraction now and it s the first thing she wasn't to see when we get there...hoping for more gems I guess!!

Post Thanks / Like

My 2, 4, and 6 year old boys loved it! If they got scared in any of the 3-d movies we would just take their glasses off.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above post. When DS4 was younger he HATED the glasses and would just watch without them on. Now he wears them, I just have to cover him when the water sprays(he hates getting wet, even a little bit).

Now Honey I shrunk the audience DID scare my kids. And tough to be a bug scared my little one when he was 3
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall ever seeing any kids crying during Philharmagic. My kids have been seeing this attaraction since they were 2 years old and 9 months old and have always loved it. I did start taking my kids to the movies when they were 2 and they have always been well behaved. In the past I have taken the 3D glassed off my youngest DS in other 3D shows at WDW when he seemed a bit unsure about what was going on. I remember doing this specifically at Honey I shrunk the audience.

I have, however, seen lots of kids crying at Fantasmic. My kids have always loved this show as well, but for some reason it seems to be scary for quite a few children.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

when he was 2 he was a little bit afraid. Thsi year (at 4) he loved it - A LOT!
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

My DS who was 5 at the time was completely freaked out and had to be removed. To this day he still won't watch anything in 3D. However my other DS who was 3 had no problem at all.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD first went on this when she was 3yo and absolutely Loved it!! It is one of my favorite memories of that trip. She squealed with delight when Donald pops out of the screen and flew back in her chair from the edge of her seat laughing. She kept taking her glasses off and looking at the screen then at the glasses in amazement. She was trying to catch everything that came out of the screen. I think if you are worried you could keep a few things on you to help out. We carried a small pen light and ear plugs with us just in case but never needed them. And you could try to seat yourself at the exit side so that you could make a quick exit if need be.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

When my kids were 5 and 2.5 they loved it. My 2.5 year old wouldn't tolerate the glasses, but she apparently loved the show without them. My 5 year old LOOOOOVED it.

They both loved it when we went back when they were 6.5 and 4 (my 4 year old wore the glasses that time).

And my 6.5 year old and almost-9 year old are looking forward to doing it again next month.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 19 year old that won't go in any of the 3D films, but she has and probably always will hate loud sudden noises, and doesn't like the popping out things. She also doesn't like HM either, but only the part where 'things' pop out or up. The rest of us love Philharmagic!! Really depends on the person and personality of your daughter.
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids last year & neither had issues any of the times (except when the 8 mo old decided to eat DH's show schedule & he didn't realize she had a ton stuck in the roof of her mouth!) My oldest was 2 and keeps the glasses on pretty well at this & muppets. The youngest doesn't wear the glasses & doesn't pay too much attn to it, usually just eats cheerios or something!

Post Thanks / Like

My business partner's 5 year old daughter hates this show. She cried the first time (when she was 3) and she cried the second time (when she was 4).

I've skipped it with my kids, because she had such a bad experience with it.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: