Quantcast Help!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

I think I have done too much research on this topic. So I have some questions???

What is the advantage of buying from the DVC directly and not a relisting?

Is it difficult to use the points outside of the Disney Resorts, i.e. San Fran, Hawaii or Ireland?

What is a major problem with the program, in other words, where have folks on average had the most problems i.e. booking, using the points in time???

Last but not least.

How do I answer the question that owning a part of the DVC is not taking away from our traveling independence??

Thank You
    PLEASE WAIT UNTIL THE RIDE COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a newer owner I can answer a few.

I bought a resale last fall at OKW because I wanted that location and it may not be available through Disney. I was also able to buy a lower point total as opposed to the new minimum. Finally, the price was right.

We have not used it yet, (3 more weeks!!) however, we were able to get a week there at the end of March (peak season) but we had to book there and be flexible on our dates for a stay in January (non peak season) where we might have wanted to stay at another resort and on a different date. This was all booked at the end of the year.

We found it confusing that there were not any openings outside of OKW for January, not withstanding Marathon weekend.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" WED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airblue1 View Post
    Once you are a member, there are absolutely NO differences. The financing seems to be different in resale vs through Disney, but even that could be very similar.

Is it difficult to use the points outside of the Disney Resorts, i.e. San Fran, Hawaii or Ireland?
    That I don't know, however I dont' think I've ever heard anyone complain about trading out. There are some grumblings about the new deal with RCI and their offerings being a litle more slim than they were with II, but I've heard of no difficulty actually using the points outside of DVC.

What is a major problem with the program, in other words, where have folks on average had the most problems i.e. booking, using the points in time???
    Booking non home resorts seems to be the topic of the month. Buy where you want to stay and this isn't as much of a problem until you hit the 7 months mark. Then all bets are off.

How do I answer the question that owning a part of the DVC is not taking away from our traveling independence??
    You don't.. By buying into DVC, you are telling Disney that you will be visiting them semi regularly for the next some 50 years. Trading out isn't a great value, and Disney makes it this way so you don't really. So, I do think you ARE giving up some of your travel independence. YES, you CAN travel elsewhere, but you probably won't want to regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

The main advantage of buying direct from DVC is that it is faster than resale (you will be in the system and have your points and be able to make reservations much faster than resale). Resales typically take 6-8 weeks.

You don't have to worry about passing ROFR, since that only applies to resale purchases.

Finally, you can finance through Disney.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

We've used our DVC points to travel to Vermont, Vancouver, New York and California. We've never had any problems trading out. Vancouver was Interval International, Vermont and New York were Concierge Collection and California (two different trips) was Disney Collection.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: