Quantcast American Idol Experience - Now Testing - Review

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow American Idol Experience - Now Testing - Review

Just a quick note that the American Idol attraction at Disney's Hollywoood Studios is now doing sneak previews.

We were at the 10am show today and got to see three performers do their thing during the run thru.

From what I could tell, 1 was legitimate and 2 were plants - most likely just for testing purposes - but who knows - maybe backups or a backup concept in case they don't get enough good contestants for a given show or if they need someone for "simon" to be mean to.

We waited outside for about 15-20 minutes before proceeding inside. During that time, there was a crowd warmup where they shot some video used later in the show supporting one of the contestants and a run thru on the background of the attraction from Ryan Seacrest on the overhead monitors.

Inside, the theatre looked newly refurbished. Brand new seats with "vote enabled" armrests. The stage itself was very attractive and mimicked the real idol stage. I especially liked what appeared to be a high def jumbotron display built into the arch behind the performers. This display enabled in show video and graphics.

The warm up announcer came out to explain the goings on and get the crowd psyched about 10 minutes prior to showtime.

Then the lights went down and the "show" began with the substitute Ryan coming out with the typical idol open. He gave the details of the show and introduced the judges. A gentlemen made to be a randy clone, a paula type clone (both had different names) and a dude named simon (right) who was from the UK. Shocker.

From there we were introduced to the contestants - and then the performing began.

Up first, a gentleman who appeared to be legit and had a bunch of family in the audience. He did rather well.

Second, a perky girl who was a "stunt person" - who they coincedentally had backstage footage of during her audition process - problem is her hair looked different and it was suspicious they had more material for her than the rest of the contestants. Her performance was not bad. It was almost as though she didn't hit the high notes right on purpose though.

Finaly, a worker from disney who supposedly came over on their lunch break... uh - yeah. She was good - but not too good.

The judges liked the guy, and mostly liked 2 and 3 but threw in some suggestions - and of course, simon threw in some zingers.

It was then time to vote. They showed reviews of the perfomances and you cast your vote on a keypad built into the armrest.

Then, they announced the winner which in this case was the guy #1.

From there - (and I hope I got the order right) there was a Jordan Sparks video that you were supposed to sing along with and get up and dance. Very, very hokey at that point. Quite forced and I don't see many audiences getting into it to the degree I think they'd like you to. We'll see.

Anyway, as it was a trial, I'm not suggesting that I think there will be plants every show since I would imagine they won't have problems finding hams in the DHS crowds every day - but it is something to look out for. I am hoping they keep it honest in that sense.

The show was actually entertaining - and I can see it getting better as it rolls along. The production values were very good and it did remind you of watching the show on tv. We as a family had a good time.

On the needs work front - I really could do without the clone judges. The simon was just to smarmy and the randy was just too "YO DOG!" for me. The Paula clone was fine though her outfit was a little over the top. Grade A performance goes however to the announcer - he was pretty dead on and did a very nice job. Honestly, I think it almost would have been better to have just wiped the slate and put in three judges who weren't trying to be like the existing judges.

Overall, I think this attraction will be a winner and a nice addition to a tv/movie theme park. It will be interesting to see how the auditioning goes and what kind of talent they get when things get rolling for real.

I've posted video of the preshow and the stage on our Idol page... you can find it here:

INTERCOT's American Idol Expereince Page
    Last edited by John; 01-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Simon" judge's name probably was really...Simon! My guess is, it was Simon Needham, ex AC castmember and originating from the UK. He is supposed to be one of the judges on AIE. He is also known as one of the Jedi knight trainers during Star Wars weekends. If you Google him you'll get his picture from several other sites.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    The "Simon" judge's name probably was really...Simon! My guess is, it was Simon Needham, ex AC castmember and originating from the UK. He is supposed to be one of the judges on AIE. He is also known as one of the Jedi knight trainers during Star Wars weekends. If you Google him you'll get his picture from several other sites.
    The pictures I found using google did not match the person that was the "simon in the show - unless his name is spelled wrong or something. I should have written down the stage names but was trying my best to be "on vacation"
    Last edited by John; 01-22-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

How long are you in this attraction?? Sounds like a long time to me..how do they work the flow of guests?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

About 20 minutes and from what I could tell, they were running shows on the hour starting at 12 noon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The pictures I found using google did not match the person that was the "simon in the show - unless his name is spelled wrong or something. I should have written down the stage names but was trying my best to be "on vacation"
    I checked Google and found that another Simon Needham pops up; I was referring to a pic on mouseplanet, in an article about the AC. Did you check that?
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it looks similar to him - so it probably is. Nice that he got recycled to another attraction after the adventurers club - though I am not sure what qualifies him to be a judge. Maybe he has some good credentials - or he just "fits the part".

He's got his har slicked back and I believe glasses on - and had the shirt unbuttoned thing going - it was a little over the top for me.

Post Thanks / Like

John
    Not being a Fan of the show would a non-fan enjoy the experience? I mean of course I will try and experience at least once since I give everything a try at WDW. But curious how you think the show will play to those of us who are not fans of the show.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Harry Potter world is coming to Universal, and this is the best they could compete with?
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say that this is of much interest to me. I'm one of about two people on the planet who have never seen the show and don't care to. Oh well...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    John
    Not being a Fan of the show would a non-fan enjoy the experience? I mean of course I will try and experience at least once since I give everything a try at WDW. But curious how you think the show will play to those of us who are not fans of the show.
    It's entertainment. I can see that if you get real folks coming into the theme parks, it will be pretty cool to see them competing. It's a live show - so you are either into that sort of thing or you arent. I can see it as a pretty nice way to spend some time indoors in the summer fun. Idol fans will love it - others will be amused and the disney diehards will complain just like they have already started to in this thread

Seriously though, it's a nice tie in, in a movie/tv related park that fills a theatre that was dark with one of the most popular franchises in TV in a long time. Sounds like a winner, provided they tweak it a little. Now they just need to find something to fill the Drew Carey theatre... ugh.

Now as far as this being an Eticket, it's not - nor is it meant to compete with the likes of a whole new land at universal. I along with all of you would love to see an Indy ride or something at the studios... but I digress.

It is what it is - and it's welcome in mho.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Karoke

I'm not an Idol worshipper either. Why does this sound like another cruise ship karaoke show?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I'm not an Idol worshipper either. Why does this sound like another cruise ship karaoke show?
    Honestly, I think there is a certain element of that with much higher production values and screening going on.

Post Thanks / Like

John,
    How do you audition for this? We are going to be there in May and my daughter and her husband would love to try to get on!!!
    Luanne

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review John.

From what you said, I'm betting there will be enough combinations of 1. fans of the show who always wanted to be in it, 2. local people who audition, and 3. people who make a special trip just so they can audition, to make this a very popular attraction for awhile.

I haven't told my daughter about it because she is a HUGE AI fan and she'd be needling me 10 times a day about when our next trip will be (which we don't know yet).

I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I believe this is how it works...

Auditions start at park opening and are held in a separate line around the back of the attraction.

first show time is at noon and a final show later in the day puts all the days winners up against each other.

the winner gets a pass to the front of the line at a real american idol audition. From there, there are no guarantees ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Harry Potter world is coming to Universal, and this is the best they could compete with?
    This is not Disney's answer to HP, have no fear... Monster's Inc roller coaster is right around the corner as are other projects.... Disney is taking the right approach with HP, wait and see..

As for AIE, I am not a fan of the show, but, I may check this out... At least it gives us something else to do in a park that is not flowing with too many must sees..
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it will be fun to see an audition show, and a finale, at least once, not sure about how much more than that. I'm wondering how they're going to handle the finale crowds, especially on nights when they're not showing Fantasmic. I know they have the big screen out front to show it (supposedly), but will people hang around for it? Will they be satisfied with not being able to get in for the finale? Makes me wonder too, if they'll give a fastpass or front of line pass to family members of the finalists.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

John,
    Thanks for the review - as a skeptic since the announcement of this attraction, I was happy to read that you found it enjoyable. DW enjoys the show while I loathe it. So alas, I'm sure I'll find myself in the theater; your posts make me more comfortable with what I'll see.

Oh - and GREAT JOB with the videos! Thank you for that!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    A gentlemen made to be a randy clone, a paula type clone (both had different names) and a dude named simon (right) who was from the UK. Shocker.
    As others have said, he was an AC CM before, as Otis or Hathaway (the performers changed roles at times). He really is a Brit and yes, his name is really Simon. I was talking to him before AC closed about it. He wasn't too thrilled about going to AIE. Like all equity performers, he is contracted because of his talents. He is a singer, as well as an actor. Since he is actually a professional, I think he is qualified to be a judge for amateurs.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: