Quantcast unnecessary wheelchair use - vent - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been disabled since birth and use a wheelchair fulltime. I use a ECV at WDW because I would not be able to use my arms after a day of pushing my chair at Disney.

I am also a big guy and yes in my case my disability prevents me from "working out" more then pushing my chair to get around.

Using a chair or ECV is far from a luxury it does however allow me to enjoy a magical vacation with my family.

To those questioning why they should have to stop to let ECV users pass by....you should think of it as a matter of self preservation. You wouldn't step out in front of a bicycle or a car right ? An ECV, even if driven slowly, takes a few feet to stop. If you step out in front of me...even given that I am a spectacular driver ;-)...I will likely run into you or over you. I'll feel real bad about it, but it will happen.

I HATE the abuse of the system and I don't use a WDW ECV...I rent from a 3rd party so that I don't use one that someone else might need.

If I recall correctly the GAC is based on a medical need but anyone with $35 can rent an ECV. They are after all called Electronic CONVENIENCE Vehicles. I would prefer WDW only rent them where there is a real need and if you just don't feel like walking feel free to rent from a 3rd party. And where there is a need to bypass a line because of a disability...require that we show our GAC.

Just my 2 cents.
    Me - Randy - 46 (Wheelchair User & ADA Expert) DW - Chris - 40 DS - Alex - 12 DD - Reagan - 6

DVC Members since 12/31/09 !!! (BLT)
    October 2006 - Offsite --Dec 2009 - Xmas - BLT -- Oct 2010 BLT

Disability is the only minority that anyone can join at anytime....Access is good for Everyone !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a very sad topic....my family is returning to Disney with my parents for their first trip in 6 years...a lot has happened since then - my mother had several herniated discs in her spine which left one of her legs completely numb...she can now walk with rehab - but not Disney type walking - she gets out of breath and needs to sit after 1-200yards. She is contemplating a wheel chair so she doesn't slow us down but hates the idea of hassling us....my god people - if she saw this post she would probably not even go....think before you speak please....
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone here is complaining about people using wheelchairs or ECVs when they have a legitimate need for them. The OP's vent was all about guests who rent/use these things when they have no legitimate reason to do so, solely to take advantage of Disney's policy about front-of the line, special seating, etc. for guests who have a legitimate need for assistance.

One year my wife fell on the first day of our visit and severely sprained her ankle. She could not walk without crutches. We rented a wheelchair for a few days until she could get around better. We accepted special front row seating for Beauty and the Beast at DHS when a cast member simply approached us and asked us to follow her, not realizing we were bypassing the waiting line and getting front row seats until we got down front. No question that really nice for us, and we joked about doing it again on our next trip, but we would not dream of actually doing it. We didn't accept any more special favors from CM's for the rest of the trip, because DW did not want the extra attention. But unfortunately, some folks apparently have no qualms about abusing the system.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong, but i have such a bad back and knees that after walking 50 yards, i will have to sit down for 5-10 minutes until i can get up and walk another 50 yards or so. therefore I do rent an evc when i am there...i don't feel bad one bit. First of all I pay, it's not free. second of all when you do go through the handicapped aisle people make comments and you also miss part of the "show" by going a different route. next time you're at disney look around and notice no one is paying attention where they are going..that's fine when you're walking i have to pay veyr strict attention cuase if i bump into somoene cause they are spacing off and move suddenly accross my path, suddenly, I'm the jerk...
    personally, if you don't need an EVC consider youself lucky. I'd love to walk down main street. I'd love to walk through tower of terror,...i've nver seen the inside of that ride.
    I think you should just consider youself lucky, and move on. why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

When we were at Disneyland Paris...you had to show proof of 'need' to get a wheelchair...and then you were issued a card and it allowed the person in the wheelchair and three others to use the handicapped lines...and to be really fair most of the time, the castmember would note who was last in line and you would wait until those persons were next before they let you on the ride. A very reasonable system. My father was in a wheelchair for more than a few times at WDW and rarely did we get to the head of a line...to be truthful the most convenience was in the bus lines, where you got to board first...and just so you all know...only my hubby went with my dad on the bus, the rest of us waited in the line with the rest of the people waiting for the bus...only time we did jump the queue was when we weren't going to get on the same bus...and that was at Xmas time, leaving the park very late.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong.... why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.
    WE do not hate you !!!
    again- no one should question anyones use of a wheelchair or ECV.

My biggest problem is that disney should have some type of 'ecv' lane/walkway to help prevent minor accidents from happening. A logical place where ecv riders could drive their ecv's safely. they are vehicles after all...

As a note- my dearest & best friend died because of his immobility & weight problems. Just because someone is heavy does not make them unloved. My DD still misses uncle Jeff. I wish I could have done more for him, because he ment a lot to my family. For anyone who is truely overweight, it has to start from yourself to start on a healthier lifestyle- you would be amazed at how many people would help you on your way.

Post Thanks / Like

I witnessed an accidet at Epcot 2 years ago. A motorized chair ran into a woman, knocking her down and just kept going, not even looking back. Now, I am not disputing that persons need for the chair, but he could have done the right thing and stopped to see if she was alright. The woman was screaming in pain and couldn't get up. I had to go get a cast member at the gift shop in which they called for security to get medical help.

We've been to Disney 5 times over the past 6 years and have noticed a remarkable climb in the number of motorized chairs. The only time it bothers us is when we wait in line for busses. On some buses that don't have rows, the chair along with the occupant takes up 4 seats. And this isn't counting their family members. Many times we've had to wait another 15-30 minutes for another bus due this.

Don't mis-read me. If they need the chair, I'll wait for another bus. However, if there has been a sharp increase in people needing these chairs, I wonder if Disney could have busses designed just to pick up these folks and their families?
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with anyone that uses a wheel chair or ECV, my biggest issue is that most believe that since they are in one that they are entitled to have the right-a-way. I don't know how many times I have been in a large crowd walking out of the park and here comes an ECV up behind me and my family expecting us to move out of the way because they are in one and can move faster then everyone else and proceed to bump into you!

Post Thanks / Like

We've seen groups of teenagers switching off pushing each other in wheelchairs on several trips.

I agree with most - I think it's abused a lot more than people realize.
    2003 - CBR and AKL
    2004 - Pop, BC, and WL
    2005 - Dolphin, GF, BC, and Poly
    2006 - POR and CSR
    2007 - CBR and AKL
    2008 - AKL and BC
    2009 - Poly and BC
    2010 - ESPN weekend at BWI - Grown Ups Only!

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn't Disney require a valid handicapped sticker from your vehicle to be able to rent a wheelchair? Or at the least a doctor note or something?
    Maybe handicapped or over 60 only please!! ??
    Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong, but i have such a bad back and knees that after walking 50 yards, i will have to sit down for 5-10 minutes until i can get up and walk another 50 yards or so. therefore I do rent an evc when i am there...i don't feel bad one bit. First of all I pay, it's not free. second of all when you do go through the handicapped aisle people make comments and you also miss part of the "show" by going a different route. next time you're at disney look around and notice no one is paying attention where they are going..that's fine when you're walking i have to pay veyr strict attention cuase if i bump into somoene cause they are spacing off and move suddenly accross my path, suddenly, I'm the jerk...
    personally, if you don't need an EVC consider youself lucky. I'd love to walk down main street. I'd love to walk through tower of terror,...i've nver seen the inside of that ride.
    I think you should just consider youself lucky, and move on. why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.
    I totally know what you mean! When I had to use a wheelchair on one of our visits it became very obvious to me that those who are in this situation do indeed miss out on a lot. Not only do you miss some of the great details that Disney so wonderfully includes in their queues but very often miss a preshow.

I called it at the beginning of this thread... it was going to turn ugly. I think some of the comments here are hurtful and disrespectful... and that is from both points of view. Sure, it's a pet peeve of some to see people abusing the system or to get "cut off" or "hit" by someone in an ECV not paying attention... but if you have the use of your legs and are able to make it through your day without the help of a chair, then I think you should count your blessings and not pass judgement on those in the chair, whether they are abusing the system or not, because the fact is that unless you are that person, or their family, you have absolutely zero way of knowing if your perception is correct.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmMOM2 View Post
    Why doesn't Disney require a valid handicapped sticker from your vehicle to be able to rent a wheelchair? Or at the least a doctor note or something?
    Maybe handicapped or over 60 only please!! ??
    Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is handicapped. For instance, I had foot surgery and had thought about renting an ECV for my last trip as I was not sure that I could hold up to the walking demand needed on this trip. My sister-in-law does not use a wheelchair in day to day life but, due to her arthritis, she does rent one when she travels to Disney.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Disney needs to come up with a better means of handling this topic. There should be some rule instigated that requires you to show some ID/paperwork proving that you need this device. I think that if you have need for such devices you have a right to them. But the parks need to readjust with the times.

1. Maybe have lanes made especially for these devices so they are not running people over
    2. The person in the wheelchair has to wait until the person that was at the end of the line when they themselves enter the attraction has reached the front of the line before they can get in/on
    3. Apply the above for lines waiting for buses and/or have a stipulation that only 2-3 people can accompany the wheelchair onto that bus

Basically Disney needs to make up some new rules and then stick to them!!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4ubie1 View Post
    I think that Disney needs to come up with a better means of handling this topic. There should be some rule instigated that requires you to show some ID/paperwork proving that you need this device.
    Unfortunately Disney would be setting themselves up for lawsuits if they did this. HIPPA laws protect us from having to disclose information like this. Plus, as a PP said, not all people who need a chair are actually "disabled".
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that our trip last year was less than spectacular and in part due to the fact that my Father was using an ECV. We felt the need to walk in front of him and his ECV due to the fact that people would walk directly into his path...with no notice!!! ECV's do NOT stop on a dime. Even with us walking in front of him it was like people wouldn't move.

Far far far too stressful...I feel for the individuals who require ECV's and wheelchairs. It is really sad that they are being utilized by individuals not requiring them. Note: we also rented the ECV from a third party NOT WDW.

BTW...just because you have an injury, had surgery, are unable to walk for medical reasons does NOT make you any less needful of mobility assistance. It does not make you guilty for using it and you should never feel the need to justify assistance. My father is a large & tall man. Yes, he has gained weight because his mobility has been severely hampered (now completely unable to walk). While others who look at him don't see the heart disease and that he takes Nitroglycerin wherever he goes, they don't see the knees that require replacement surgery, they don't see the COPD, diabetes, arthritis, ankle that was broken last year in a fall that didn't heal properly (operations are avoided for diabetics as much as possible), they don't see the swelling so bad he needs to elevate his feet...they just see a FAT man. a reason for them to have to wait at the bus stop another person getting ahead in line someone they feel is capable of walking if he would just loose weight

BTW...my daughter sees "Papa" who used to pick her up at school everyday, but now cannot. She has memories of her last trip to WDW with Papa and does not understand why he can't come back with us this year...she loves him and so do we.

Individuals know when they are being rude and just plain wrong. That goes for pedestrians AND ECV/wheelchair users alike. It does not matter if they are at WDW or just around town...they KNOW who they are. SHAME ON THEM!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is handicapped. For instance, I had foot surgery and had thought about renting an ECV for my last trip as I was not sure that I could hold up to the walking demand needed on this trip. My sister-in-law does not use a wheelchair in day to day life but, due to her arthritis, she does rent one when she travels to Disney.
    But in both those cases you should be able to easily get a note from your doctor stating that you need to use a chair.

I don't have a problem with anyone that uses a wheel chair or ECV, my biggest issue is that most believe that since they are in one that they are entitled to have the right-a-way. I don't know how many times I have been in a large crowd walking out of the park and here comes an ECV up behind me and my family expecting us to move out of the way because they are in one and can move faster then everyone else and proceed to bump into you!
    My family witnessed a couple of ECVs leaving the AK after the parade. It's pretty crowded that time of day as many people are exiting so the traffic was pretty congested. The two ECV drivers were honking continuously and grumbling about how people wouldn't get out of their way. First of all, the crowd was moving as fast as possible and even people who wanted to get out of the way had no other place to go. It was pretty astounding and those are exactly the kind of people who give ECV users a bad name. I think that kind of behavior unfortunately is becoming more common (I know we've witnessed more) and as that happens it gets harder to recognize that those are just rude individuals not a reflection of ECVs in general. I think there is an abuse problem and that Disney has a responsibility to address it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    But in both those cases you should be able to easily get a note from your doctor stating that you need to use a chair.
    What's next... to be able to use one of the ECVs in the grocery store or Walmart you'll have to have a note too? I don't know, if I was disabled or suffering from a medical condition or recovering from surgery etc. I'd be embarassed enough to have to be pushed around or in an ECV without having to be treated like that.

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    but if you have the use of your legs and are able to make it through your day without the help of a chair, then I think you should count your blessings and not pass judgement on those in the chair, whether they are abusing the system or not, because the fact is that unless you are that person, or their family, you have absolutely zero way of knowing if your perception is correct.

Exactly my point, just because someone looks "normal" and "healthy" to you doesn't mean you have to right to pass judgement and decide that they must be abusing the system, because they don't look "sick".

And on a side note referring to a previous post. Just because you see a overweight person in a wheelchair or ecv doesn't mean they are in there because they are overweight, they could have had surgery or have other issues that prevent long distance walking. Many people are able to do walking in the normal lives, but there is so much walking required at Disney that some people are not able to do it without being in a lot of pain. And some have problem's that prevent them from doing alot of walking. So don't just assume that every overweight person using a wheelchair is doing so because they are too big to walk. That almost always isn't the case.

Bottom line, If everyone would just go to Disney and enjoy the magic, and stop worrying about who is doing what, and if the person in the wheelchair is really sick, Everyone would have a much nicer and relaxing time. Life's too short to worry about if the wheelchair line people got on the ride before or after you. As long as you get on the ride, that is all the matter's, not how long it took you to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    Bottom line, If everyone would just go to Disney and enjoy the magic, and stop worrying about who is doing what, and if the person in the wheelchair is really sick, Everyone would have a much nicer and relaxing time. Life's too short to worry about if the wheelchair line people got on the ride before or after you. As long as you get on the ride, that is all the matter's, not how long it took you to get there.
    AMEN!!!

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, rude people are rude people whether they are thin, overweight, black, white, American, Hispanic, walking or riding an ECV....if you have an issue with rude people, that's fine and if they are doing something dangerous, report them...everyone likes to vent about people skipping lines or getting to go to the front of the line...fine.....obsessing over whether someone got one over on us and is using an ECV when they don't need it and letting it ruin your vacation you paid good money for...ridiculous....saying people should have to present a note showing why they need the device...unnecessary....being cruel and showing ignorance toward people with disabilities for whatever reason even if it is because they are overweight and have trouble walking...horribly mean...

I for one hope that nobody reading this thread who is disabled lets it keep them from going to DW because they have limited mobility....I am usually just too happy to be there to let one rude person ruin the entire trip and refuse to be mean to someone when I don't know their circumstances.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: