Quantcast Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS is 3 and has been going to WDW since he was a baby. We have adopted several of his ride abbreviations and I will let you decipher:

The Spitting Camel Ride
    Carnotaur Ride
    The Yeti Ride
    Figment Ride
    Donald Duck Ride
    Epcot Ball Ride
    Crunchy Bears

The rest of the rides he does a pretty good job with! AND he knows the difference between all 4 parks...we're such proud parents.

He also eats with "pork-chops" aka chop-sticks at Japan.
    Stefanie

Disney Trips
    BCV 2009
    POP 2009
    FW Cabin 2008
    BCV 2008
    GF 2008
    POFQ 2007
    Contemporary 2006
    Poly 2004
    DD Doubletree 2001
    Contemporary 1999
    ASM 1998
    Off Property 1997
    DISNEYLAND 1997
    Off Property 1996
    Ft Wilderness 1995

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We all have pet peeves! some of mine are:

People that are too lazy to put shopping carts in a cart coral.

People that angle park taking up 2 spaces for their car doesn't get scratched.

Flash Photogaphy where there is to be none.

Stroller mowers, people that feel it is there duty to run over as many guests as possible. (I think it is a sport and they really keep score)

People with no sense of humor
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

I too visited dozens of times as a child among a family of four kids. We had our own names for several of the rides including the "big ball" which I still use to this day. We also refer to all the rides in World Showcase as whatever country in which they are located. I still call the TTA "the people movers."

Post Thanks / Like

My husband cannot stop getting Disneyland and Disneyworld mixed up. We've never been to Disneyland and he swears that DW, which we've been to 3 times, is his favorite place in the world. If it's his favorite place, you'd think he'd remember the name!

Post Thanks / Like

Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name?
    short answer...nope, it doesn't bother me or drive me crazy at all... Whether another guest at the Majikal Kingdom, EbCot or Disneyland Studios gets the jargon right is of little consequence to me...I don't take such mistatements personally and honestly don't pay that much attention to the mispoken statements of those who are not fully indoctrinated into the WDW subculture ( which I obviously am happy to be a part of).

In time, If they learn to love Disney, I figure they will either eventually get it right or at least know they are saying it wrong and thus just trying to tweak folks who's buttons they have learned how to push. I've actually been known to get on my very DD's last nerve by intentionally calling things at WDW by "non-standard" labels.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default wrong names

I couldnt agree more with this one !!!

My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them

I have heard countless parents say.. "Tomorrow are we going to Disney or Epcot ???? HUH ?????

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

No, but I hate for people to call Disney World, Disneyland!! "Are you all going back down to Disneyland" Not that I wouldn't love to go to Disneyland, but they are not the same place!!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I admit we call ToT the "Scary Elevator" because that's what my daughter called it the first time she rode it at 4 years old. She's ten now, and its still "the Scary Elevator".. LOL

And I still call TTA the people mover. Oh well.. I promise when I take my DH in Sept, I will teach him properly, except for ToT, which will always be the scary elevator in this family.. LOL
    02/02 - All Star Music
    02/04 - Contemporary Resort
    09/20/2009 Very Late Honeymoon @ All Star Music

Next trip: 06/08 -06/16/2014 at Shades of Green and The Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Mouse View Post
    We all have pet peeves! some of mine are:

People that are too lazy to put shopping carts in a cart coral.

Flash Photogaphy where there is to be none.

i couldnt agree with you more!!!
    -Beth

"For the last time, we did not order a giant trampoline! "

--------------

*first trip 1977
    *first trip on property - CR 1982 EPCOT opening
    * most recent trips: *Feb 08 & Nov 08 - CS, POFQ
    *Dec 2009 - POLY!
    *Jan 2011 - CR / POFQ & SEPTEMBER 2011 - POLY!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm chuckling- I remember one trip we were walking to the entrance of Epcot, just having gotten off the bus or some transportation listening to a self proclaimed Disney Expert tell the person next to her everything and anything about WDW, some of it wrong but hey, she wasn't talking to me so I'm not saying anything. Then she proclaime:d: "Oh it's the Golf Ball! I love the Golf Ball! It's my favorite ride!"

Another one I hear alot is SSR being called Sarasota.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

No, it doesn't bother me--you can put me in the "entertained" category with some other people that have posted here.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chick20679 View Post
    lol! Me too!!

When I tell someone I am going to Disney World and they ask if I am going to do just 'Disney World', or if I am going to do the 'one with all the countries' too. Then, having to explain, that Disney WORLD is all four parks, etc., not just Magic Kingdom.

I guess it takes a Disney-geek to know a Disney-geek, huh?
    Yep! My biggest pet peeve!!! I'm like: MK is part of Disneyworld along with the other parks.
    Been there, done that, going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl314 View Post
    I'm guilty of doing this myself. We call the TTA the "people mover" My DS who is now 12, started calling it that when he was 3 and the name just stuck for us.
    Isn't that what the TTA is, though? The Wedway People Mover?

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venus0880 View Post
    I too visited dozens of times as a child among a family of four kids. We had our own names for several of the rides including the "big ball" which I still use to this day. We also refer to all the rides in World Showcase as whatever country in which they are located. I still call the TTA "the people movers."
    Regarding the OP's question, and being annoyed by people calling things by their wrong names. This probably doesn't explain the gaffe of calling the Haunted Mansion the Haunted House, but as the poster above describes, our family has developed many of our own names for beloved attractions, adopting the way our children referred to them when young. For example, we stay at POR all the time, but in our family, we say we are staying "at the wheel", because my nephew used to talk about the wheel year 'round. For the same reason, Epcot is known as "Mickey's Ball" (do I need to pass smelling salts?) and when planning a day at DS, we say we are going to "the Hat" (okay...now I know I have to pass the smelling salts).

Of COURSE, we know the real names for all of these places. If we didn't know and love them, we wouldn't have even bothered with giving them nicknames. So, in some instances, what may seem like annoying ignorance to you, might actually be someone's term of endearment.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all .. Its easily done especially if its your first time in the park
    The only thing that annoys in are queue jumpers
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my pet peeves have already been mentioned but they bear repeating.

The whole "Fast Track" thing drives me nuts. My mom says that and I constantly have to correct her. Since she loves the attraction so much I get to hear "Fast Track" all the time. haha!

Also, when people say they are going to "Disney World" on Monday and Epcot on Tuesday. Grrr.... I feel like this is just poor education.

One that I didn't see anyone mention is when people say "So, you're going to all of the Disney parks then? Even Universal Studios?" I just wanna scream. haha. I'm not a Universal fan to begin with so when people try to associate it with Disney I feel like jumping out of my skin.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonAR View Post
    My DH calls MK Disney World just because he knows it bugs me.
    My Fiance does this ALL the time. Even in normal everyday things. The one I remember off the top of my head from the beginning of the month was when we were at Epcot and he said he wanted to go ride "Mission Spaceship Earth". And he would say that for both rides. So I told him I wouldn't go on either until he said the name right. That helped a little.

Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Epcot just last week, and listened to a woman who, while pointing at Donald Duck, kept telling her daughter to "Go hug Daffy" LOL! The poor kid probably had no idea who she was suppose to go hug!

My hubby also told me that his Mom always referred to Gepetto from Pinocchio as "Gestapo" and she never realized she was saying it wrong......
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter challenged me to some stupid IQ test on facebook, so i finally broke down and did it.

Question #6:
    What Florida city is Disneyland located in?

Hmm, says more about the IQ of the test builder than the taker if you ask me.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Not really on the rides, but I do dislike it when people think they know everything about disney when clearly they don't..
    If they did know for certain, I would not mind but to say that Star Tours came before the original Star Wars movies ( I have actually heard a man tell this to his companions...cringeworthy )
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008