Quantcast Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a major Disney Geek and a major offender. We call Magic Kingdom "Mickey Park", Epcot, "The Park with the Big golf ball" TTA IS the People Mover, THe Haunted Mansion is "The ride with the silly ghosts" Ellen's Universe of Energy is "The ride with the moving church pews" Journey Into Imagination is "The Figment Ride." Maelstrom is "The troll boat" Mission SPace is "The Pukinator"...

Sue me... I am still a lover of all things Disney...
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My DH calls MK Disney World just because he knows it bugs me.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Not so much. But it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland, or when they refer to MK as Disneyland. Of course, correcting them only furthers to identify myself as a Disney geek.
    Me too. Disneyland is just not the same and not near as cool
    " I'm Grumpy cause you're Dopey "

CSR MAR 2012
    POR Jan 2012
    WLR Christmas 2010
    CSR July 2010
    A S Sports- Agst 2009
    CBR - ESPN Weekend 2009
    CSR - ESPN Weekend 2008
    POR - Sept 2007
    YC - July 2006
    POR - Christmas 2005

GRUMPY DUDE

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. The first time we took out oldest daughter to WDW shw was a bit over 2 years old. She made up a lot of names for the different attractions, for example, Mickeysphilharmagic was called the Duck Show. I guess she called it this due to Donald being the true star of the show. She is now almost 7 and has been to WDW over 10 times and we still call it the Duck Show. We know the correct name but our adopted name means a little more to us.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofeygal View Post
    When people talk about DHS and think it is at Universals. Yes I have heard this. But is was before they changed the name, it was still called MGM studios then.
    My S-in-law is guilty of this. She was planning their trip and was shocked to discover that MGM is part of Disney, but Universal isn't. Sometimes I think she doesn't believe me.

Although, my DH was not aware that Universal was not part of Disney. He's not really "into" planning, though.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

This one didn't really drive us crazy. It was probably an honest mistake and has become a running joke for me and DD11. We were taking the MK Railroad from Main Street to Frontierland and as we passed through the Splash Mountain scene with the riverboat and all the characters celebrating, an elderly lady in front of us told her family "Look, it's Pirates of the Caribbean." Cracked us up!! Now everytime we ride Splash Mountain and get to that scene we have to do it "Look it's Pirates of the Caribbean". LOL
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My MIL refers to POC as "Pirates of Penzance".. I have to chuckle..

Post Thanks / Like

A rose by any other name . . .
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them
    the second to last day of our trip last year we let my nephew pick where he wanted to go for that day and he told me disney. It took me a min to figure out what he meant, but hey he was 4 so you know. lol that just made me think of that.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

LOL my dad calls MK Disney World all the time. We were at our hotel last year and he was like, "Kids, ready to go to Disney World?" I said, "Dad, we have been in Disney World for two days now"
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of ours insists on calling MK the Magical Kingdom. After 10 years I've given up trying to correct her!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Alex'sMOM View Post
    I am a major Disney Geek and a major offender. We call Magic Kingdom "Mickey Park", Epcot, "The Park with the Big golf ball" TTA IS the People Mover, THe Haunted Mansion is "The ride with the silly ghosts" Ellen's Universe of Energy is "The ride with the moving church pews" Journey Into Imagination is "The Figment Ride." Maelstrom is "The troll boat" Mission SPace is "The Pukinator"...

Sue me... I am still a lover of all things Disney...
    Sounds like us! We call Journey into Imagination "the Fig ride". When my oldest was little she called Figment Fig - still does! And now, POTC is the "Capt. Jack ride."

Post Thanks / Like

A while back one woman asked us where to go to see Alumni-Nations. My Mom has this thing where she calls Epcot EBCOT, and my daughter used to call POTC Carrots of the Bean. She's grown out of that now. I actually miss it.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post

And the fans who are such frequent flyers that they have slang names for things like "Oh sure, we always have breakfast at Cindy's when we're at the Poly"

Then add the abbreviations: My DFIL wants to know how long it takes to get from CBR to MK for EMH when you have an ADR at CP and will WtP be there?
    It's boards like I'cot that brings this out in people.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just chuckle a little to myself when I hear wrong names, however, DD gets very iritated by her brother (who has a slight speech impediment) calling EE the "Etti ride". He rarely remembers the actual name of the ride, but loves the Yetti, so that's what he calls it, unfortunately he drops the "Y" sound and drives his sister nuts.
    Jambo everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Small pataatas!
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

The funniest thing I ever heard, we were on the monrail going into Epcot....we were standing and a woman was sitting behind us and as we came around she said to her son, look, look there is Space Mountain...all the while pointing to Spaceship Earth...she told her son it was a roller coaster that was in the dark and went pretty fast....somebody next to her tried to correct her and she said what do you mean of course that is Space Mountain. Gave me a chuckle not only the wrong attraction but the wrong park.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
    Dec. 1999--Poly
    June 2000--Disneyland
    Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
    Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
    Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
    Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading this post to my family and we were cracking up. We were there two weeks ago and my DH kept getting Test Track and Fast Passes messed up. He kept telling me to go get "fast tracks" and then when we got back he was telling everyone his favorite ride was Fast Track. But he is always calling people by the wrong name, so we are used to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Between the two of us, my walking partner and I have been to WDW well over 50 times (we are both in our 40's and started going with our families almost yearly as small children)

Anyway, we were checking in to the resort for our marathon trip a couple of years ago and a woman in line behind us assumed we were first timers. She was REALLY nice and it was obvious that her intentions were good (and, really, isn't that what it is all about?)

But, one thing she told us that we couldn't miss "Soaring" and proceeded to spell it "S" - "O" - "A" - "R" - "I" - "N" - "G"

To this day, we don't refer to the ride as "Soarin' " we call it "Soarin-gah"

Even my children and DH who weren't along on that trip do refer to the ride that way.

I guess I don't see it as irritating when someone does it - I assume they either don't know or, it is an inside reference that to a good memory of some sort.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute favorite:
    I live much closer to California and have been to DL quite a bit. Last trip, my boyfriend and I were heading into line for Indy, as the wait was only 10 min (!). A family, who later told us they were from Florida, was standing looking at the sign, and excited 'because the show starts in 10 minutes!' They got in line behind us, and about half way down into the queue area, the mom said 'Wow, the waiting area here is ten times neater than the one back home at MGM.' I started to giggle, but decided not to say anything - how surprised they where going to be! When we got close enough to hear the jeeps, the son was telling his mom he hoped the show hadn't started without us because he could hear the jeeps. When we got to the loading dock, the family was just dead silent. I turned and laughed, and offered them the space ahead of us so they could ride in the front seat for their first ride. They got off afterwards telling us they'd just seen 'Indiana Jones' on the map, and assumed it was like WDW 'back at home'. They absolutely adored the ride, and we all got back in line together.

It didn't drive me crazy or anything, but the shock on their faces at the loading dock was priceless.
    1995-2008// [7 Disneyland Trips] Offsite
    June 2007// [1st Ever WDW Trip!] POR
    June 2009// [WDW #2 ]Animal Kingdom Lodge

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: