Quantcast Disney’s Smallest Audio-Animatronics Figure Brings ‘Chef Remy’ to Life

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney’s Smallest Audio-Animatronics Figure Brings ‘Chef Remy’ to Life

Disney’s Smallest Audio-Animatronics Figure Brings ‘Chef Remy’ to Life at Les Chefs de France in Epcot
    From the Silver Screen to Haute Cuisine!

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    April 6, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The newest chef at Walt Disney World Resort may be small in stature, but he’s a big hit with guests enjoying haute cuisine at Les Chefs de France in Epcot. With his flair for French fare, diners of all ages are eating up his whimsical tableside visits.

His name is Remy, and he’s the rat-turned-chef made famous in the Academy Award-winning Disney•Pixar film “Ratatouille.” A new Audio-Animatronicscharacter created by Walt Disney Imagineering, Remy stars in a new guest experience at Les Chefs de France entitled “Bon Appétit from Chef Remy.” Les Chefs de France is one of the restaurants featured at the France pavilion in Epcot.

Six days a week, four times a day (subject to change), a Maître d’ greets diners with a rolling gourmet food cart. Dramatically lifting the lid from a silver-domed cheese platter, the Maître d’ reveals the guest of honor – a six-inch-tall rat with silky-soft fur, pink paws and traditional toque. Chef Remy then comes to life, entertaining diners with sprightly movements and lively banter. Winding their way through the restaurant, Remy and his Maître d’ pal make stops at each table. In addition to his hijinks, Chef Remy might even bust a move to the beat of different tunes, from the soft sway of a French love song to the hot sounds of hip-hop.

The 40-minute experience provides guests an up-close encounter with the “Ratatouille” star as he laughs, sniffles and even flirts with his new friends.

Remy is part of the Living Character initiative created for Disney Parks by Walt Disney Imagineering.

“By combining technologies, our Living Character initiative creates new levels of guest interaction and brings characters to life like never before,” said Holger Irmler, who worked on the Remy project for Walt Disney Imagineering. “Things we do are so complex, yet our goal is to make them seem so magical to our guests.”

Since its inception, the initiative has been providing guests with a dash of never-before-seen technology and a heaping helping of legendary Disney magic. The first Living Character debuted in 2004 in the form of a large and lovable dinosaur named Lucky.

Not only is Remy one of the newest Audio-Animatronicscharacters created by Walt Disney Imagineering, he also holds the distinction of being the smallest one ever created. Having already wowed guests at Disneyland Resort Paris, Imagineers chose Epcot as the next park for Remy to visit – with Les Chefs de France serving as the perfect Parisian setting for his Walt Disney World debut.

Guests dining at Les Chefs de France are encouraged to make advance reservations by calling 407/WDW-DINE (407/939-3463) up to 90 days prior to their visit. “Bon Appétit from Chef Remy” is scheduled to take place at Les Chefs de France Monday through Saturday until Sept. 5, 2009 (subject to change).

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Maybe it's just me ... I mean I didn't really get Ratatouille in the first place ... but the last thing I want to see when I go for a nice sit-down meal at a decent French restaurant is a rat running around.

Remy or otherwise.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool! We've never eaten at Les Chefs de France but I might consider it to see Remy.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there is a schedule to know when he will be coming out and make a reservation for that time...My kids would LOVE to see him...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Totally weird, but he's really cute. Looks just like him.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool! I'd love to see Remy!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I didn't see the images before, but huh ... he is kinda cute.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

aww I love Remy!!!
    “I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world.” Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

A certain well-known video sharing site has several videos people took of Remy at Walt Disney Studios in Paris. Absolutely adorable and I wish we would have known about him when we were at Disneyland Paris last summer!

We had pet rats for two years (they are wonderful pets, except that they leave you far too soon), and both my son and I thought Remy the audioanimatronic, just like Remy the animated movie star, are surprisingly realistic. The way the Living Character figure moves his head when he's sniffing, for instance... Someone definitely watched rats and didn't just build on stereotypes here. The only thing that isn't realistic, of course, is that no self-respecting rat could sit in the middle of a platter of food like that without eating something!

eta: Unfortunately it looks like he'll be leaving Epcot before we get there. Dang. Well, I suppose we can always hope for an extension?
    first trip - January '05, All-Star Movies
    heading for Pop Century in Sept/Oct '09!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Maybe it's just me ... I mean I didn't really get Ratatouille in the first place ... but the last thing I want to see when I go for a nice sit-down meal at a decent French restaurant is a rat running around.

Remy or otherwise.
    It was a different movie, but that's one of the things I like about Pixar's stuff. It's different. Well, except for the Toy Story sequels. I liked Ratatouille, but it didn't blow me away. We did buy it, though.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

great...now bring back the parrot outside potc!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Remy or otherwise.
    Do mice count?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see the images before, but huh ... he is kinda cute.
    Being a fan of the movie, I checked out the YouTube videos of it. My first reaction was kind of 'ugh' like Ian, do I really want to see a rat being carted around, but I gotta remember it is Remy and folks are having fun! My only comment is I wished Remy moved a little more fluidly and perhaps was more expressive (blinking his eyes, for example). I'm not so sure the corny entertainment by the server fits the restaurant style but I guess like everything else, more Disney character interaction helps.

In a YouTube taken at the Disney Paris resort, the waiter is going through the restaurant, with the cover over it. I'm sure some unsuspecting diners will be quite surprised, like the lady in the video.

Well if it will help boost things at Epcot I'm all for it.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    ºoº WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    ºoº TDL 6-83, 9-91
    ºoº DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Remy or otherwise.
    Oh Don't knock rats until you spend some time around them. As previously mentioned they are loving, friendly little guys when raised in a home.

As for Remy, I think this awesome, makes me wonder which mobile animatronic character will be seen around the parks next
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't "get" Ratatouille? GIve me a BREAK! It is truly one of the greatest Disney/Pixar films ever. I will go on record as saying it will be a TRUE classic.

Also - it certainly would be rather jarring to have a real rat show up at a meal, but (play along, here) this one is not real. It will not run at you or try to eat your food. It is a cartoon character. For goodness sake, lighten up and try to have a little fun!
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Oh PLEASE!!!! Keep this going through September!!! We're arriving on the 7th! We LOVED the Muppet Labs!!!
    Next visit - January 2018 OKW
    Mar 2015 Offsite
    Jan 2011,12,13&14 CSR
    Sept 2009 CSR & MNSSHP
    Sept 2007 CSR
    Sept 2006 POR & NOJ
    2005 Offsite
    2003 ASM & MVMCP
    2002 Doubletree onsite & MVMCP/1st DQ
    Sept 1999 POFQ / WL & NOJ
    May 1999 CSR/BC
    Dec 1997 & 1998 CBR & MVMCP
    April 1997 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Have they announced a time schedule for Remy, or should we just plan on lunch?
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE to see Remy! I've read that he comes out 4 times a day, Monday - Saturday. Of course I'd made a reservation for us on a Sunday, which I ended up cancelling. But, I might try to get in on another day to see him.

We have pet rats too, and they're really good pets. I was a little unsure about how I'd feel about them at first, but they completely won me over.

Post Thanks / Like

We booked the restaurant for our trip in 3 weeks. I'm hoping he's there while we're eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR