Quantcast What do you record?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you record?

In the past when I've been at WDW I've always felt the need to get everything recorded w/ my camcorder. I record all the attractions,every interaction with every character and all the views as we're walking around.

I'm wondering now with all this recording if I'm missing a lot of the "magic" going on around me. If I'm recording an attraction I'm only focused on what is in front of me and not taking in everything the attraction has to offer. Same with recording while moving around the park, I am focused on one thing and not taking in the sounds, smells and other views around me.

I'm thinking that on this next trip coming up that maybe I should just record the highlights and let myself relax and enjoy the whole experience of being at the park.

I'm curoius on what other folks do when at WDW, do you do al ot of recording or just go with the flow?
    April 2015 - CSR
    May 2013 CSR
    December 2011 Bay Lake Towers
    May 2009 off site
    November 2007 off site
    December 2004 off site
    October 2003 off site
    Feburary 2002 Poly
    December 2000 CBR
    October 1999 CSR
    October 1994 off site
    May 1990 off site
    May 1984 off site
    November 1979 off site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We try not to spend all our time behind a lens. We have recorded (politely!) several rides, but only on our 3rd or 4th ride of the trip so we can make sure to enjoy the ride as well.

On a regular basis, we tend to just pull out the camcorder during character meals or when something particularly cute happens. We snap the camera more, but that doesn't take away from the experience as much.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

I need to ride a new attraction at least twice: the first time to record it, and the 2nd time to "see" it. I have hours of attractions and shows recorded on numerous past visits, and I don't feel the need to record things I already have in an archive somewhere. However, sometimes taking a child on an old attraction for the first time is a special occassion, so I'll record it to capture that moment.

That being said, whenever I watch those old videos now they seem kinda sterile to me, as if they were a travel channel special on Walt Disney World, not about OUR visit to WDW. So on the past few trips, I've made an effort to capture the "atmosphere" of WDW more than the highlights. For example if one of my children starts spontaneously dancing to the music in the UK, or even if they're just acting silly while walking to the elevator in our hotel, I'd rather capture those moments because they are what make that particular trip unique.
    Stan
    11/72 CR 10/73 PR 7/75 PR 7/77 PR 8/79 PR 7/81 PR 7/83 PR 7/85 PR 8/87 Grosvenor 6/89 PR 7/90 CBR 7/92 POR 8/97 POFQ 6/99 POR 9/00 BWV 1/03 OKW 6/03 POR 8/03 BCV 5/05 BWV 5/06 BCV 12/06 SSR 1/07 ASMv 8/08 BCV 1/09 BWV 8/09 PR 1/10 PC 5/11 PC 7/11 AKL&BCV 1/13 OKW 6/13 BCV&AKL 1/15 OKW 7/16 PR

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to come off as harsh, but I'll apologize in advance...

In my experience, few people are able to record much of anything with a camcorder that's worth viewing at a later date. There are a few things you need to catch on film, but overall, much of it is not worth watching again.

Common problems are:

Too much jerky [handheld] movement
    Too much zooming
    Narration
    Quick nausiating movements
    the list goes on.

Not that it needs to be a production, but generally, the above make a video unwatchable. I would leave the camcorder at home and actually enjoy your vacation. You'll probably be surprised at everything going on around you that you missed.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this works for photos too?

I remember once, when i spent so much time taking photos of Fantasmic that i was thinking, "Man, i'm missing this show!" But these same photos are in my kitchen. I see them nearly every day. And every time i glance at them, i smile and think of Disney magic. So even though i "missed" that show, i brought it back home, where i can "see" it every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

Too much jerky [handheld] movement
    Too much zooming
    Narration
    Quick nausiating movements
    the list goes on.
    Have you been watching my videos?

I have to agree. We now leave the camcorder at home, and will occasionally use the mini-movie feature on our camera. We probably take too many pictures - but it can be hard not to!

Post Thanks / Like

I only use one or two park visits and about an hour of resort time for pictures and the rest of the time I leave the camera in the room. I never record anything with a camcorder. I'm too annoyed by people who are inconsiderate of others while filming (no one here, of course). Especially on dark rides. Those camcorder screens are so distracting. I'm there enough that I don't need to relive every second on film later. Better to live it to the fullest in the present.
    Last edited by SBETigg; 04-14-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: perfectionist syndrome
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing with my camara. This year I told my husband that he can have the camara and I am going to trying going without using it. I come home with 2500 to 3000 picts per trip and very few of them are of my kids. We are going for christmas so I am going to try to get him the just take Christmas decor photos and the kids and elimanate everything else.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

We have the opposite problem. Even though we often bring the camcorder we rarely use it and I'd like to start using it more. The only thing we filmed last trip was DS playing in the fountain at EPCOT and the new MK parade. I'd like to get more of the character interaction on film. I do think you can easily go overboard though and may miss a lot if you are behind the lens too much.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We have only recorded ourselves on segeays in Epcot and the last Comedy Warehouse and Adventurer Club shows on our last visit.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

We don't take video or pictures. We do take pics of son posing with characters, but that's it. We learned a long time ago that spending your vacation behind a lens is no way to go. But, that's just for us!

Post Thanks / Like

We won't be taking the camcorder on our next trip in Aug. We have our digital camera and Photo Pass is available so we will have plenty of pic's. Not taking the camcorder is one less thing to carry plus my camera takes video if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Seeing your whole vacation through the lens of your video camera will leave you feeling left out. While in WDW I'm usually carrying the Mini-DV, a Cannon Digital Rebel xti and usually a back up camera, a small Digital Polaroid. All three fit in one camera bag. On the last two trips the amount of video I've taken has been reduced greatly. I usually take about 1000 photos. Each year I tell myself, stop taking so many photos, use the photo pass more often etc. but I always make a DVD slideshow with the pics I take at WDW, I put disney music to it and it turns out really nice. It's usually around 40 minutes long! But always enjoyed by the family.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I too find myself taking less and less video. I try to pull it out of the bag at least once in each park, and if something especially cute is happening. I also always get some good video around the resort. I've come to realize that we enjoy the video of the family more than anything else. Just to show how our DS is growing and changing.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

We recorded some during the kids' first trip or two to the World. Now we just snap photos.

We recorded SpectroMagic and captured the moment when Peter Pan (all lit up) leaned down and spoke to our kids.

We recorded the first time DD met Cinderella, the first time DS met Chip and Dale, etc etc.

I have descreetly (I hope) recorded parts of some classic rides- Small World, with DS singing along.

DH rode in the front of Goofy's Barnstormer and recorded the entire ride (all 32 seconds of it). Yes, it's bumpy, but it's great.

We have pulled it out a few times, and enjoyed watching the parades and rides. DS was only 2 1/2 on that first trip, but he DOES remember some of it because of the photos and video.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it depends on how much you have been there. If it is a once in a lifetime trip I would try to video as much as possible but if you are frequent visitors maybe just parades or funny things the kids might do. I used to video when I first started going and I still do but not nearly as much and since you can video with a camera too that makes it nice not to have to carry the video as well. Mostly I just record if something happens or just to have record of my girls as they get older. As others have said spending all that time recording you do miss out on the things around you and ask yourself how much have you watched what you recorded?
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also used to do alot more video recording during trips. In the first few years I was recording everything and while it was nice to watch when we got back it was a pain carrying the video camera all over the place. Now since we have been many times I do still bring it but mostly record around the resort area so when deciding on a room for the next trip we can really remember what the resort was like. We always spend one afternoon resort hopping and I like to film the different resorts. I like to video the kids when we arrive and stuff but I now only take my camera to the parks. I have found it to be freeing and more enjoyable to be able to just snap some photos and not be stuck behind the lense recording every second of our trip. The pictures we take are enough to help us remember the trip.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave the camcorder at home (at least until I have kids) but take lots of pictures with my digital camera. We also like to use photopass as much as possible and it becomes like a scavenger hunt to find new ones! With my camera I take it all the time but only pull it out during character meals or other times we meet characters without photopass there and when something special happens. Usually I spend some time on the first day in each park taking pictures of signs, ride quees, and interesting finds. Then I just pull it out to snap a quick picture here and there or with the characters the rest of the trip. I don't do the shows, parades, rides, etc. because then I can't enjoy them fully. Of course the resort and DTD and other activites (like mini-golf) get pictures too! I try not to over-do it though.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I've always just taken pictures with my digital camera - and maybe a couple (low quality) video clips of things like Main Street, a bit of a parade and so on. I love taking pictures and whatnot - but as many have said - don't want to spend the trip behind the lens. I want to experience it myself.

I, do, however, think I may buy a Flip Mino video camera next time I go just to take little clips like I have on my digital camera. I'd love to edit them together and make a little video of them. I've found some great videos on YouTube of Disneyland Paris recently and would love to make my own of my vacation. Not obsessive over videoing rides and whole parades - just the sights I love (parks at night and so on).

șoș Trips șoș
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I struggle with this issue all the time! Maybe I will see if I can figure out how to take video with my regular camera, and just do a few small clips. I mean, I know how to shoot it, but I don't know how to get it into my computer in a format that I can use in my video editing software.
    One year, we really didn't take much video, so when I did my editing, I mixed in a bunch of still photos. I actually enjoy watching that one as much or more than some of the others.
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: