Quantcast Any fans of Mission Space?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any fans of Mission Space?

Everything I've read leads me to think I should skip this ride so I won't be sick all day. Are there any fans? Is the non-spinning version any good?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much help I am - but I do get motion sickness and I was afraid of this as well - In fact I avoided it until our last day because once I am sick I am out of the game for the rest of the day....I didn't go on the light one - DH made me go on the normal version ............. I couldn't be happier!! It didn't feel as though I were spinning AT ALL and didn't give me ANY motion sickness (and let's face it, I get sick on star tours). It's now one of my fav rides although out of fear of sickness I still wouldn't ride it twice in a row (no risk in testing luck). I think maybe because of the type of spinning it does you don't feel as though your are spinning and there is no visual except the screen so it eleviates the vision part of motion sickness as well? Either way - it was fine for me, but everyone is different...
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you have a strong consitution, you should go on this one at least once in your life. I finally rode it last Feb and once is enough for me. You know you are spinning for a few seconds. It messes with your equilibrium for about an hour or so afterwards. I wasn't sick at all, but it was defintely a weird feeling when you blast off. It's like you don't have control for those few seconds, but it's both somethihg I loved and hated at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

The non-spinning version is worth a ride if the line is pretty short, but I wouldn't wait more than 15mins for it. I have a pretty strong stomach and its not any more disorienting than RnRR if that helps; for me, a bit worse than right after jumping off the treadmill.

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

GoofyMom, why do you think you'll be sick all day? Do you have a high degree of motion sickness? If not, just pay attention to the directions, do what they tell you (look at the screen, don't look to the side or close your eyes or lean forward, etc, etc), and you should be fine.

If you are still in doubt, the non spinning version is a fine ride in and of itself. My wife, who won't do thrill rides of any sense, did the non spinning and was fine, and actually enjoyed it. That being said, if you can do the spinning to get the full effect of lift off and other aspects, it is an awesome experience. My daughter did the non spinning first, then she and I went on the spinning, and she HAD to do it again!

I too can and have felt effects of Star Tours not quite being synced up totally and felt a little "off" afterwards, but never have with Mission Space.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Nascfan; 04-15-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: because I kan't spell worth a lick
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It probably depends on you personally. If you easily get motion sickness, perhaps in a boat or car or plane, then I would recommend you skip it. If you normally don't have issues like that, you should have no problems with the 'real' side.

Personally, I like to make sure I have a little something to eat 30-60 minutes before I go on, and I've never had any issues - it is a very unique experience. Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this ride but my worry was that at one point it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest.At the time I was a smoker(have quit since)but I'm on high blood pressure meds so I go on the whimpy version now and it works just fine for me.I'd love to go on the original but it's not worth a possible health problem to me for the thrill.My wife on the other hand almost puked and she doesn't get motion sickness.I'd give it a go and do what they say,don't look out the side door.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

I too was afraid to go on it and my friend convinced me to try it out this past January. That was my first time going on it and I went on the spinning side. I got off of it and thought it was awesome. I did exactly what they said and I was fine. It was a great experience. I am not one who gets motion sickness though. I was primarily afraid to try it out because of all the things I heard about people getting sick and stuff. I am glad I tried it out. Really depends on what rides you can and can't handle. Also would not be a good ride if you are claustraphobic(spelling ?).

Post Thanks / Like

I've never ridden the non-spinning side. The spinning version is AWESOME
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I always do the spinning side with my daughter.
    Once in a while I will get that "half a bubble off" feeling as we exit, but most times it's fine.

Unless you have medical issues it is a "must do at least once" attraction in my book.

WooHoo...just realized this is my 1000th post.
    And it "only" took 7 1/2 yrs...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Love this ride. Haven't tried the non-spinning version, but the "real" one is fantastic.

Excuse me while I don my flame suit...

My kids have all loved it on their first rides-- at 5, 3.5, and 5. No issues with motion sickness at all.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Definately love the spinning version!
    My daughter rode this when she was 4 and absolutely loves it also. It's become one of our family favorites.
    Ken Willis really needs to get a life!
    Being a dirtbag is very un-becoming.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Post Thanks / Like

I get sick on the teacups, so I was hesitant to try it. This was before they had the non-spin version. I ended up trying it and loving it! It was so fun, very exhilarating. I had no ill effects whatsoever, surprisingly. You don't really register the motion as spinning because you don't see that kind of movement around you. I don't think I would enjoy the non-spin version since the best part of the ride is the simulated travel feelings produced by the spinning effect. I would hate to have missed it.

If you try it, probably best to try the tamer version. But if you're brave enough to try the spin version, just be sure to keep your eyes on the screen in front of you and don't go looking side to side while you're on it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I love it - my DH had to be wheeled out of Epcot in a WC. ??????????

(You know, part of it is the expectation, due to the extreme warnings).
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

While riding the original version, I understood why they have barf bags on board. If it hadn't been for the cool air blowing directly in my face, I would have used the bags for sure! I must say, I wasn't 100% for the rest of the day. However, when I tried the tamer version, I loved it! It was much more enjoyable...for me anyway. DD and DH still like the amped-up side!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

The Villains theme park that wdw execs will hopefully 1 day build
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally love the ride! I don't get sick off of it, but my Dad sometimes does.
    97'- Comfort Inn, Buena Vista
    99'- Courtyard, Downtown Disney
    00'- Marriott, World Center
    02'- Polynesian, Concierge
    03'- Yacht and Beach Club
    06'- Boardwalk
    07'- Coronado Springs
    08'- Boardwalk
    09'- Wilderness Lodge
    10'- Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    I always do the spinning side with my daughter.
    Once in a while I will get that "half a bubble off" feeling as we exit, but most times it's fine.

Unless you have medical issues it is a "must do at least once" attraction in my book.

WooHoo...just realized this is my 1000th post.
    And it "only" took 7 1/2 yrs...
    on your 100th post!

When we took a then 6YO DD two years ago, we only did the non-spinning version because of concerns expressed on this listserve and elsewhere about the spinning version. Personally, I did not like the ride at all.

Last year, DD and I did the spinning version and we both loved it.
    I didn't find the spinning version to cause any problems with dizziness, motion sickness, etc.

I will definitely do MS again, but only the spinning version. For me, anyway, the non-spinning version is a waste.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE MISSION SPACE.... even though I frequently experience car sickness, I MUST RIDE MS! As a previous poster mentioned, do eat a little before you ride, and if you are still unsure, wait till the end of the day to ride (the lines should be shorter then anyway).. Enjoy and do not let the warnings scare you!
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92
    Fort Wilderness Campground 89

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I think if you don't have a big problem with motion sickness, you should be fine. I was very aprehensive to try MS, but in Dec. I finally worked up the nerve. I tried the non-spinning side first and was very bummed. Very tame, and not at all worth riding (IMO). Since the line was insanely short, I rode on the spinning side. I loved it! The take-off felt so real. I felt a little 'odd' for about 5-10 min. after I rode it, but nothing that would have kept me from enjoying anything.
    All of our dream can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

Remember, we must always believe in our wishes, for they are the magic in the world.

Current CM at MK! If you're in Adventureland and craving Dole, Ice Cream, or an eggroll, look for Sarah from Front Royal, VA and say Hi!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of Mission Space! I suffer from moderate motion sickness, but under the right conditions I can ride it with no problems! I have to ride a couple hours after I have eaten and I have to be feeling pretty good to start with. Make sure to keep your eyes open and looking straight ahead at the screen. It is an awesome ride! I highly recommend trying it once!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: