Quantcast Not your typical souvenier... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, my daughter wanted one of those pearls and I just couldn't bring myself to get one because I remember they had them on QVC (and still might) where you would get the clam/oyster thing and a tool to open it plus a sterling silver necklace with a chain and little cage-type holder for like $35. So it seemed overpriced and not really terribly unique if you could get it from QVC. I guess I'm just a mean mom!Dont' worry, though, she got PLENTY!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsavannah View Post
    You know, my daughter wanted one of those pearls and I just couldn't bring myself to get one because I remember they had them on QVC (and still might) where you would get the clam/oyster thing and a tool to open it plus a sterling silver necklace with a chain and little cage-type holder for like $35. So it seemed overpriced and not really terribly unique if you could get it from QVC. I guess I'm just a mean mom!Dont' worry, though, she got PLENTY!
    I've seen that little kit for WAAAYYY cheaper than the price you saw on QVC. I think the 'show' that goes along with it in the Japan store is way cool, though, and you get to 'pick' your own oyster.

Oh well, to each his own, I guess!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I did the pick a pearl and it's lovely! I will always remember it.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I've also seen it for a cheaper price. Online, we found the oyster, with the tools, a cheap but still nice necklace and "cage" for the pearl it was only $9.95.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Can u let me know where u bought the band too? We're heading to the "World" in 24 days would love to buy one for my DH.
    07'* ASM-April 29-May5

08* Pop-June 1-8

09* ASM-May 30-June 6

Post Thanks / Like

Uh... this might be a dumb question, but what happens if you open the oyster and there's no pearl inside? Do you get to pick another one? Or is it more "luck of the draw" and would cost you another $15? B/c (unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) there's no way for them to guarantee the oyster you choose has a pearl in it...
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by handmaidenofprincesses View Post
    Uh... this might be a dumb question, but what happens if you open the oyster and there's no pearl inside? Do you get to pick another one? Or is it more "luck of the draw" and would cost you another $15? B/c (unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) there's no way for them to guarantee the oyster you choose has a pearl in it...
    They're cultured pearls, so there's a pretty good chance you'll get one (some people have even gotten "twins"), but I would guess they'd just let you pick another oyster if the first one was a dud.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We did "pick a pearl" and it was $15. We actually did several because my dd wanted one, too. We had them set for a necklace for about $30ish. THey were very pretty. Ours were actually similar in shape and color and could have been set as a pair of earrings. Maybe this year! Just FYI, there was a pearl station in Typhoon Lagoona and DTD as well.

We bought several fun Mickey items for the kitchen. These were actually a surprise for the family - to add some Disney magic once we got back home. I bought Mickey salad tongs (shaped like his hands), a Mickey shaped chip and dip bowl...etc. It has turned out to be very fun to see where Mickey would show up! Everyone was surprised to reach in and get salad and find MIckey hands.

Just an idea! Enjoy!
    Faith! Trust! And Pixie Dust!

POR 2008
    Offsite 2007
    CBR 1996

Post Thanks / Like

My DD purchased a silver ring that had her name carved into it. She has sort of an uncommon name so it is always nice to get something personalized. It was in Epcot too but I dont remember what country it was in. I think it was about $25.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually get a dragon from China every time.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

My sister got my an awesome tinkerbell apron and oven mits last trip and saved them (almost 5 years!) until I got married! They were amazing and what a surprise!!!
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

We don't buy a lot of souvenirs (the kids would like to buy everything, though), but I usually get one thing for myself each trip. Last time, i decided to try the pick a pearl, and I got lucky and got twins. They were big for twins, so i paid an extra $18 for some cute dangly earring settings. All in all, $33 wasn't bad for a nice pair of earrings.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never picked a pearl, but I did get a pendant already set. It was from the pearl kiosk in DTD. It's set in a gold eternity (''8") shape and I love it. My DH bought it for me for our 10th anniversary and it will always be special to me.

Other special souvineers...we did one of those hologram picture engravings in a block of glass. I have these really cool wooden salad spoons from the Outpost. I only bring them out for company. And a photo frame with Mickey head cutout shapes for the photos to fit inside. I'm sure there's more, but those are my favorites.

Liverpool, but we'd rather be in Disneyworld
    Post Thanks / Like

While you're in Epcot, do the masks! Not just for kids you know
    You get a reason to stop in each country and talk to the cast members who will stamp your mask's handle, and write something native on the back of your mask if you want. Me and DW do it every time, drawing a bit on the mask in each country.
    Great memories, and a totally unique and FREE souvenir!!!
    We wanna go to Disneyworld!!!!

Jan 2009 ASMu for double birthday celebration!!!
    May 2008 AS Sports
    Nov 2007 Disneyland Paris
    Jan/Feb 2007 ASM
    Sep/Oct 2005 AKL Honeymoon (and 1st trip!)

Post Thanks / Like

I did the pick a pearl in DTD in '07 and I loved it. It was the highlight of my trip. I have always loved pearls, and was just telling my DH I would love to get a black pearl ring one day. Well lo and behold I picked a HUGE black pearl! They made a big deal about it, gonged the bell and did a small ceremony saying how special and rare it was. They Elga ( I still remember her name) said it was worth $135.00. So I had it set in a white gold ring setting. It cost $125.00 for the pearl and the setting. I wear it evry day and am commemted on it all the time.
    Jennifer
    Princess Mallorie's Mommy

Many times as a little girl
    2001- off-site
    2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    2007- Pop Century (came back with the best souvenir !!!!!!)
    2008- Put on hold for new baby, born 10/02/08!
    2010-Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I know I had posted earlier that I have done the pick a pearl before but I was wondering if anyone had ever brought a pearl from somewhere else and got it set there in WDW. The reason I ask was because I picked one in Hawaii (they gave me 50% off so it only cost me $8 to do it) and I picked a large black pearl. They told me it was of a high quality because of the greenish colors as well. But the settings they showed me were around $250 and I wasn't willing or able to spend that much at the time. So I was hoping to bring it to Japan or DTD and get it set. Any ideas or comments on whether I would be able to do that?
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

I like the masks that you can buy in Italy. They have some are porcelian and others that feel like a sturdy paper mache. Very pretty.
    April 2015 - CSR
    May 2013 CSR
    December 2011 Bay Lake Towers
    May 2009 off site
    November 2007 off site
    December 2004 off site
    October 2003 off site
    Feburary 2002 Poly
    December 2000 CBR
    October 1999 CSR
    October 1994 off site
    May 1990 off site
    May 1984 off site
    November 1979 off site

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite souvenier is taking a picture at the Walt and Mickey statue in MK...with my grandson. I started this when he was just 11 months old (his first visit). It is fun to see how much he has changed and the area around the statue has changed. We will continue this until ....Nope ! He will always have to do this, I am the grandma !

Post Thanks / Like

I usually pick up a piece of pewter in the MK

Post Thanks / Like

My DW gets to buy one or two Jim Shore figurines from the Art of Disney stores (or the Marketplace on Main Street USA). They are usually holiday themed, so when those holidays roll around, she breaks them out and puts them on display for a month. She also has some non-holiday ones, such as the various castles or princesses.

As for myself, I needed a new watch, and so I held out for our next trip and got a *nice*, classy Disney watch from the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney.

Once we bought one of the musical wall clocks from the Japanese pavillion, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Disney.

We've also bought stuff for the kitchen. Collanders, trivets, Salt and Pepper shakers, etc.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: