Quantcast interesting rumor

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default interesting rumor

I had lunch yesterday with a good friend who's a senior CM (been with WDW 20+ years). She said this is not confirmed by any means, but it currently looks like a good possibility that Fantasmic will be going away and they will bring back Sorcery in the Sky. A new ride will go where Fantasmic is currently located (she didn't know what that new ride might be only that a new ride was being discussed at that location). She said it'll probably be 2012 or so before anything of this could happen, and, as I mentioned, it's far from confirmed, but I was excited about the idea of the return of Sorcery in the Sky. Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.
    On the other hand, isn't that a sign of how much this show is loved?
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Fantasmic is a great show, but I haven't felt the need to go back in a few years. It's not worth the hassle and time for us now. I wouldn't have wanted to miss it entirely, glad I saw it once or twice, but maybe it's time to move on.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...huge lines 1st equals a cutback in the number of weekly showings ...and now it means cancellation . What is the logical part of this that I am I missing?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The part you are missing is that Fantasmic costs $30,000 a show to put on according to some sources. So do the math $60,000 a night when they have 2 shows. $420,000 a week multiply that by 52 weeks a year $21.8 million a year added directly to the bottom line.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    The part you are missing is that Fantasmic costs $30,000 a show to put on according to some sources. So do the math $60,000 a night when they have 2 shows. $420,000 a week multiply that by 52 weeks a year $21.8 million a year added directly to the bottom line.
    Wouldn't it be taken away from the bottom line and not added?

I really enjoy Fantasmic! and hope that if they are planning on getting rid of it, they wait until after I can see it again. Disneyland just made some changes to their Fantasmic!, so it makes me wonder if this is something that's not under serious consideration.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with Sorcery in the Sky. Where does one view this?
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    And how does that compare to Wishes and Illuminations? Throwing out a bunch of numbers without any comparison is ludicrous.

What would be the cost of "Sorcery In The Sky" per night/week/year?

Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully, we only saw Fantasmic once in all the times we have gone to WDW. I think it's because I am comparing it to the DL version, which is soooo much better. That being said, I would definately enjoy a different show.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually this would be a very sound business decision. The amphlitheatre used for this show is dedicated for this show and as such is only used a small portion of any park day. This real estate is valuable and is under utilized. If Disney opened a singnature ride attraction that drew crowds and allowed visitors to enjoy the attraction all day they would be much further ahead.

Changing the signature fireworks show to a wishes-like attraction would disperse the crowds and smooth the foot traffic. Think about wishes, the guests are directly adjacent to main street shops were they might be tempted to shop before and after the wishes show. This places people near food and shopping venues where they are prone to drop cash.

Also, since Hollywood Studio has a dedicated back stage area that could be used as a lauch site for the fireworks show and buildings for lasers, HS could make a really great show with viewing opportunities from many locations of the parks.

Don't get me wrong I love Fantasmic, but from a business model there are better fits to the night time spectacular that could leverage more profits and please park guests with entertainment and improved foot traffic and less congestion.

As a tangent it has always irritated my family that the HTH, RNR and Fantasmic caused a perfect storm of chaos in that tiny area of the park during evening hours.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

It's diffivult to compare apples to oranges since Fantasmic has performers and techs that aren't needed in fireworks shows. Removing Fantasmic was one of the first cutbacks since it saved the most. I believe the average firework show costs around $15,000- $20,000 a night and is only run once.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We love Fantasmic! I think it is the best nighttime show that Disney World has.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

My question would be "Why get rid of Fantasmic?" There are other, better suited areas in the Studios to add attractions. Why put another one there? The most congested area in the park!

If Disney is trying to save money, or for that matter, encourage attendance, the Fantasmic schedule can be changed at a moments notice. You wouldn't have to get rid of it forever. But if they really want to tear something down to build over it, how about Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour or the Streets of America?
    I don't want a Disney Studios where everyone takes the first right after they enter the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.
    They're not the only ones that feel that way.

Personally, I find Fantasmic the most overrated, boring, pointless half hour I've ever spent in my entire life.

I haven't bothered seeing it years and would be thrilled if they dumped it and put something in that space that was even moderately enjoyable.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animalkingdomguy View Post
    Changing the signature fireworks show to a wishes-like attraction would disperse the crowds and smooth the foot traffic. Think about wishes, the guests are directly adjacent to main street shops were they might be tempted to shop before and after the wishes show. This places people near food and shopping venues where they are prone to drop cash.
    This is similar to what my mother said when I told her this morning. Except hers was more that its a long time that people are sitting to long to hold seats & wait in line to get in when they could be out shopping & spending money instead they are just waiting around.

With Disney as is all companies its not just the cost of the show its where else they are losing money. Between the cost for the show where they could do something cheaper they need to get the money circulating elsewhere.

A new ride is needed they cut back so much else there they need another draw for the whole day not just an hour at night. Its a park that a lot of people here only go 1/2 day & not a lot of people that take a 1-2 trip even mess with going to. I am even guilty of that. The studio more then 1 day is not a big deal to me.

Of course it is easy for me to talk in all the years I have been (including last December) this will be my first trip (and possibly last) where I get to see Fantasmic.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others, I would not be disappointed with Fantasmic going away. I don't like waiting in line and then sitting in your seat for an hour or so when I could be riding other rides. I also don't like the stampede when it is over. My kids have been nearly run over in the past.
    I would vote for another ride.
    NOW, I would die if Wishes went away! Wishes sums the whole Disney experience into one show. It is magic, gives me chills everytime.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

First visit to Disney World 1991
    Countless visits since
    Most recent: Oct 2006
    November 2006
    Feb 2007
    June 2007
    October 2007-2 weeks
    Feb 2008
    June 2008
    Feb 2009
    Oct 2009- HHI Disney Vacation
    Jan 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sorcery in the Sky is a great fireworks display-we have seen it a few times and loved it. But it is nothing compared to Fantasmic. It would certainly be cheaper and easier for guests to watch than being packed into the theatre. I wouldn't mind being able to see it again-I know they still show it for special occasions.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like this rumor. We should track CM/Bus Driver rumors and vote for the best ones each year.
    Then maybe they'll come true.

I have seen Fantasmic twice. Our first experience ranks among our top 10 worst things that have happened to us at WDW. We stood in line for an hour (lost revenue for Disney), and then when we did get in, it was standing room only. After a long day in the parks, standing to watch a show was not on my list of most exciting things to do.
    Every single time I would squat down to rest my weary legs, a CM would be right there to explain that there was no sitting in the standing area... Instead of on vacation, I felt like I was at a high school assembly, and the CM was that evil World Lit teacher.
    To top it all off, I couldn't hardly see the show because of all the people standing in front of me.
    I still consider that moment a wasted 2 hours (lost revenue for Disney).
    The second time (and last) we saw the show, I was properly seated about four rows back. The show was entertaining and I enjoyed it. However, I did not enjoy it enough to ever stand in line and lose two hours of park time again.
    For myself, it is just not worth the wait. I know for many, many others it is. But, this customer would be pleased to see it go away and replaced with something else. Only if it is replaced with something else though.

Long live Cast Member rumors!
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to show how different opinions can be here, even tho we have so much in common.
    We consider Fantasmic a "must do". We have, since the inception of the plan, used the "dine and view" package, having dinner at Mamma Melrose's and then avoiding the line and wait by sitting in the reserved section. I think Fantasmic is one of the greatest spectacles Ive ever seen. Id be very disappointed if it were to be removed.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

1. This came from a CM. We all know about CMs. To the OP, no offense, but, CMs are the last people who we should listen to regarding rumors.

2. Fantasmic is due to get a little face lift once the economy turns and the green light is given.

3. The management knows how popular Fantasmic is. There was a huge outcry from guests when the show was cut. Imagine being cancelled???

4. What doesn't make sense is "a bad guest experience." If it is a bad experience, it is because the "brains" cut the show, thus making the select showings way over crowded. Run Fantasmic nightly, 2 shows a night like usual, and I betcha no guest has a "bad experience."
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: