Quantcast Broke foot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Broke foot

Post Thanks / Like

Question Broke foot

My 16 y/o daughter broke her foot walking on flat ground. She is on crutches with a boot and can not put weight on her foot for 5 weeks. I can not see her getting around the world on these crutches. Do you all think I should rent a wheel chair or scooter? Can I rent one at Disney and keep it with us, or should I go outside Disney?
    (Gail)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

No way would you want her to have to get around just on crutches for that long. There is too much territory to cover in the parks. I'm sure a wheelchair would work, but you might have to do a lot of the pushing. An electric scooter might be the most practical (but most expensive) option.

I'm pretty sure the rentals at Disney are just for the time in the parks. However, there are a number of companies near Disney that offer services to deliver and pick-up the electric scooters if you want to rent one for the whole time. Maybe crutches outside the parks and a scooter in the parks could work for her? You'd have to decide that. Good luck. I hope you have a great time even with the injury.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think she will need it the whole week, it might be less expensive to use an outside company. plus you'd have it for the (sometimes long) to and from buses, rooms, food courts, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rent a scooter from on outside company. There is a lot of walking to the buses and back to your resort. The wheelchair would involve someone pushing a lot of the time and in the Florida heat that doesn't sound like much fun.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I would also recommend a scooter form an outside company. That's too much walking for crutches and she might prefer to not always have to rely on someone else to push her in a wheelchair.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Most definitly get her a wheel chair or scooter.

I have broken my foot and have had a bone in my foot surgically broken and was not allowed to walk on it for sometime either.

In addition to not walking on it I had alot of swelling to deal with which required me to not only elevate the foot but to ice it down from time to time.

Just have her take it easy and have a good time.

Ask the doctor about a wet cast which would let her get into a pool.

Hope this helps
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry! I would rent a wheelchair at the very least.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get a wheelchair as she shouldn't be on her feet much. She could end up with some painful and nasty swelling that could make her boot difficult and painful to wear. I'd go with an outside company for a wheelchair or scooter - that way, you will have one for use at the resort or wherever you travel - the Disney rentals can only be used at the parks. You can sometimes get a wheelchair for free at the resort but you can't always count on that. If you do choose to go with a Disney rental in the parks, ask about the length of stay price - usually a small discount for renting for multiple days. Also, keep your receipt from park-to-park on the same day - the second wheelchair or scooter at the new park will be at no charge. I'd also consider a walker rather than the crutches for the times when she will be walking - the walker will provide much more stability than crutches in a crowd. Don't forget to ask for a first-floor room and perhaps even a handicap-accessible room - the little seat in the shower and the extra room in the bathroom could be a huge help for her maneuverability. Good luck!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason and outside company is best - if you plan on park-hopping and rent at the parks, you can take your receipt and get another scooter/chair at the next park. However, sometimes they run out of scooters. This happened to DH when he needed one. We got to MK around lunchtime and all the scooters were gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I am going to rent a wheel chair or scooter from an outside co. Thanks for all the great advice.
    (Gail)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: