Quantcast Disneyland in a wheelchair - restaurant advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland in a wheelchair - restaurant advice

Hey All,

We are going to Disneyland next week for my son's birthday and I'll be in a wheelchair with a busted foot. It just occurred to me that since I've never been to the parks in a wheelchair before, I don't know which restaurants are more navigable than others, or which rides will be off-limits to me.

I know Disney does an amazing job to accomodate those with disabilities and there are special entrances to the rides, but does Nemo have wheelchair access? I can walk a little and do stairs, but I'm pretty slow right now. I don't want to hold up lines or slow down rides.

I'm totally excited to be going (it's been six months since my last visit because of this darn foot!), but at the same time I'm terrified.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice which rides to just avoid completely or ???

Thank you all so much for your help!

2000 - Infinity: DLR Premium Annual Passholder
    Sixty minutes from my front door to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nemo has no wheel chair access, so you will need to be able to transfer and navigate down a spiral staircase.

There are quite a few rides that offer access, and lots at DLR require self transfer as they were build after the ADA. You can find full info about accessibility at DLR by going HERE.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

NotaGeek, thanks for the link! It had exactly the information I was looking for.

I think we'll just wing it for the restaurants.

I'll try to remember to post my experiences being chair bound for the day. My kids are excited because we get to use all new entrances to the rides. They crack me up.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to give an update to getting around in a wheelchair - as for the restaurants, we ate at Steakhouse 55, Blue Bayou and Goofy's kitchen. Steakhouse 55 wanted me to park my chair outside the table area and walk to the table (doable, but a pain) or they said I could use the chair at the table if I preferred. I appreciated teh option (I chose to walk to the table). Goofy's Kitchen definitely had wheelchair accessablility, but I used my crutches for this one. It was faster to get food, etc. But the layout of the buffet would be great for someone in a chair. As for Blue Bayou - no way! We had to park the wheelchair outside the restaurant (across the way, which made me nervous since I rented it at home and didn't want to have it disappear) and I used my crutches to get to the table. Even that was tricky since they pack the tables to tight. I actually knocked my crutches over and they hit a guy sitting at the table next to us. He was totally funny about it, but I felt lame all the same.

Anyway, those were the only places we ate, so I can't really update on any other restaurants.

As for getting around the park, it was a breeze, but I was disappointed in how many people just don't 'see' a wheelchair. Adults and older teens, especially. Maybe because they are at my level, the little kids were awesome. Especially the little girls. Several asked what happened and why I had a funny shoe. So cute!

The CMs were all amazing (except for one cranky guy on Matterhorn who told me to use the regualar line, then when it got to the turnstile he was like, 'you shouldn't be there, you should be here' what?!?) All-in-all it was a good trip. I have a huge respect for anyone with a disability and this day just made that respect larger.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: