Quantcast damper on downtown disney - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    PI was designed as a gated nighttime attraction for adults not a walkway that children were suppose to walk through. It wasn't until later when the Westside was built that they decided to open it up a walkway to the Westside which wasn't getting much business. The Disney Management at the time mistakenly blame lack of access saying PI was the reason. The removed the turnstiles to allow the flow of traffic and all the problems started. Until the gates were removed PI was rather successful.
    Jeff has it basically exactly right. When PI started and they charged admission it was actually a really nice place to hang out. But once they did away with that and opened it up to everyone, the shady element moved in and it got pretty nasty for a Disney theme park.

I'm kinda glad they did away with it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    In late june i was there and it was sooooo packed that they closed the parking lot to new cars- so i am not sure the popularity has subsided.

I was told someone is moving into the virgin mega store soon, not sure who-

But besides LaNuba and DQ, there is always Candy Cauldren and the magic shop and the cigar store. so west side isnt too bad.

we had a fun time there this year.
    Where's the cigar store?
    Paradise Pier-2003
    Disneyland Hotel-2004
    Disneyland Hotel-2005
    PORS-2008
    Shades of Green - May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We never miss going to DTD. We love to go
    and eat at Wolf Gang Puck's express. We enjoy
    Ghirardelli and the World of Disney. We like the
    shops in the Marketplace area. We ususally go
    to DTD the first night we are there. We drive
    to WDW so we get there late in the day and we
    go after we check in our resort.

Post Thanks / Like

We always go to DTD a few times during out trips. I love browsing/shopping at the Art of Disney, Twelve Days of Christmas, WOD, Basin.
    I love looking at the lLgo sculptures and getting ice cream at Ghiardelli's. We've had lunch many times at Earl of Sandwich too. We are going to La Nouba on our upcoming trip and are eating at Raglan Road. We also have tickets to the Gospel Brunch at HOB.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Jeff has it basically exactly right. When PI started and they charged admission it was actually a really nice place to hang out. But once they did away with that and opened it up to everyone, the shady element moved in and it got pretty nasty for a Disney theme park.

I agree with you 100%. The last time we ventured over to PI and saw the element that was there, we turned and left.
    Give me DTD Marketplace, I don't need a place to go clubbing.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I do miss the PI that used to be when admission was charged. The clubs were alot of fun and it was a nice way to spend the night.
    We would leave our son with our friends one night then watch their kids for them the next night. I do really miss the Adventurers Club.

As far as DTD we still make one stop there every trip. Between the shops (especially the Lego store for my son) and the restaurants we stay busy for a couple of hours. I do wish that they would do something interesting with that big gap that used to be PI because it just seems like such a waste of prime space.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that some of you did not like PI, but some of us liked having a place to go out and dance or see a comedy show after the parks.

It was perfectly fine when it was a separate admission and wished they had gone back to that and found a way to put in a path for people to use to go to the West Side.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Glad that some of you did not like PI, but some of us liked having a place to go out and dance or see a comedy show after the parks.

It was perfectly fine when it was a separate admission and wished they had gone back to that and found a way to put in a path for people to use to go to the West Side.
    Yeah, I should probably clarify my earlier comments, because I actually agree more with you, Christine, than it might appear.

What I should have said is that I'm glad PI is gone if they weren't going to go back to the old admission-based model.

I, for one, loved the Adventurer's Club and I miss it dearly. We had some amazing times at PI with the INTERCOT crew and our meets will definitely not be the same without the ability to make fools of ourselves at 8 Trax.

That being said, though, since Disney does not appear to have even considered going back to the admission-based PI, I think the second best option was to shut it down. When you have a situation where there are literally gang fights and kids with guns wandering around on Disney property, that's something that has to be stopped.

I do wish, though, that they could have somehow saved the Adventurer's Club.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

PI was a lot of fun, and it kept Adult guests from going to the city of Orlando for night time entertainment, it kept them on property. In its hayday, it was always packed and tons and tons of locals and CMs went all the time, they were free on certain nights too. PI had unique clubs like the Adventures Club and the Comedy Warehouse was great. The West Side also was a nice addition but favored more the locals and CMs (we used to go to the AMC all the time) then guests. I still believe if they would have built the West Side on the East side, PI would still be open. Instead of PI being stuck in the middle, it would have been left alone.

On another note, if the College Program CMs weren't getting drunk all the time and missing their shifts, they wouldn't have done away with the CMs get in free at PI either, and the clubs would still have been packed.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I still believe if they would have built the West Side on the East side, PI would still be open. Instead of PI being stuck in the middle, it would have been left alone.
    I agree with you. The West Side always felt so isolated from the rest of DTD. I really miss the original PI when you had to pay to get in, NYE every night, live music in the "street". It was so much fun!!
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, so I guess it'll be alright if I wear my "Return our Adventurer's Club" t-shirt next week.....waaaaaahhhhh.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    I agree with you. The West Side always felt so isolated from the rest of DTD. I really miss the original PI when you had to pay to get in, NYE every night, live music in the "street". It was so much fun!!
    I agree, too. Building the West Side where they did was the beginning of the end for PI.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantod View Post
    Ian, so I guess it'll be alright if I wear my "Return our Adventurer's Club" t-shirt next week.....waaaaaahhhhh.
    Yep. If I had one, I'd wear it too!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: