Quantcast Fantasyland Refurb: It's Official! - Page 17

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    It would cool though if they could add an Indiana Jones ride to Adventureland like the one they have DL.
    They already have. But it's called Dinosaur and it's at Animal Kingdom.

Not everyone knows this but Dinosaur at AK and Indiana Jones at DL are the exact same ride. The track layout is even identical between the two. The main difference is that whereas Indiana Jones is expertly themed and amazingly fun, on Dinosaur it seems like they ran out of money halfway through and just turned off the lights to avoid having to theme the entire building.

As much as I would love to see Indy at WDW, it is kind of cool that its unique to Disneyland, and at the same time I highly doubt Disney would produce a duplicate ride of that scale in another park when they already have one in Florida. It's one thing to make a dumbo clone which doesn't cost an obscene amount of money, but another Indy is a WHOLE different ball park.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    I totally agree with you Figment! Disney really could make strong, smart, gorgeous princesses sort of the way Harry Potter's Hermione is a smart, loyal, brave witch with cool guys competing for her affection. Fantasy can inspire us all. Real imagination is not drenching us in Pepto Bismal Pink and fake satin. Let's have Imagineering not Marketeering. I adore Disney World, but feel like some key decision makers need to actually find a vision of what the Disney brand could be instead of rehashing the same things that worked (sold) in decades past. Disney seems to be looking forward on environmental issues (hopefully not just to sell green themed products) wouldn't it be great if Disney was truly imaginative in its vision for the true potential of our children?
    I agree that a more modern take on what it means to be female is a good thing and I do think Disney has made some attempt in this area in more recent years. In fact, in reading the promo stuff about the new Frog Princess movie it sounds like they are going the furthest yet.

However, Disney does have to deal with the fact that their currently most popular princess's are from the old school! That means the whole damsel in distress kind of thing. Personally I don't think Disney should try to change this with their "classic" movies. Rather, I think parents have a responsibility to speak to their children about what they are seeing just like they do when watching televsion or a movie. If you have a habit of conversing with your child they will accept and understand your point of view!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post

Not everyone knows this but Dinosaur at AK and Indiana Jones at DL are the exact same ride. The track layout is even identical between the two.
    For the record I'm fully aware that the two rides (Dinosaur and Indiana) are the exact same ride system. And I agree that Indy is the superior of the two rides...my only point was why not add something to Adventurland. Even the Indiana Jones roller coaster based on the the runaway mining cars, that they have DL Paris.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a good idea, and it would also appeal to the boy demographic.
    Next up CBR 10/31-11/8

Keep Moving Forward!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Anyway back to the topic at hand:

This is gonna be awesome!!!

Seriously, all boy/girl issues aside, come on ... What an amazing set of updates, right? Fantasyland and really the entire Magic Kingdom is going to look drastically different than how it is today.

I'm excited!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Okay, but in fairness it's called "Fantasyland" ... No little girl's fantasy at age 6 is to grow up to be a welder or something. I mean what are they going to make an attraction out of becoming CEO of a Fortune 500 Company?
    Classic.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    Classic.
    Move along! There's nothing to see here!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Although speedway maybe an eye sore, boys love the ride. That and Mr. Toads Wild Ride were my favorite rides as a young boy because you pretend like your driving.

I like that the renovations will clear the bottleneck around the carousel and dumbo rides
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really excited about these updates!

I've always felt WDW's Fantasyland was lacking a little in theming and overall atmosphere compared to the other parks I've visited, and it sounds like these updates will add so much to the area.

Between this and the updates at DCA, we're going to have a hard time deciding whether to visit WDW or DL in 2012 and 2013!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post

Not everyone knows this but Dinosaur at AK and Indiana Jones at DL are the exact same ride. The track layout is even identical between the two. The main difference is that whereas Indiana Jones is expertly themed and amazingly fun, on Dinosaur it seems like they ran out of money halfway through and just turned off the lights to avoid having to theme the entire building.

As much as I would love to see Indy at WDW, it is kind of cool that its unique to Disneyland, and at the same time I highly doubt Disney would produce a duplicate ride of that scale in another park when they already have one in Florida. It's one thing to make a dumbo clone which doesn't cost an obscene amount of money, but another Indy is a WHOLE different ball park.
    Why shouldn't the Indy ride come to WDW? I will venture to say the average guest would not know or care it is the same layout as Dinosaur. This is no longer a valid argument. Remember, Body Wars and Star Tours were the same ride, just different themes.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Anyway back to the topic at hand:

This is gonna be awesome!!!

Seriously, all boy/girl issues aside, come on ... What an amazing set of updates, right? Fantasyland and really the entire Magic Kingdom is going to look drastically different than how it is today.

I'm excited!
    So am I...but I do admit I will miss the way it is now only because I'm comfortable with it. But the changes are going to be great and I can't wait to see them finished with it! I'm not looking forward to seeing Fantasyland torn apart and boarded up over the next 3 years!

Plus...this is a major overhaul...not some cosmetic updates or a new hub and spoke ride (Aladdin, Dino-o-Rama)...this is HUGE!
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    Although speedway maybe an eye sore, boys love the ride. That and Mr. Toads Wild Ride were my favorite rides as a young boy because you pretend like your driving.
    Well not all boys love the speedway. At least not ones who have experienced driving actual go-karts at other amusement parks. Our boys were 9 & 6 when we first took them to MK. And they are ALL boy. They were wowed by everything just as you'd expect them to be, but once they rode the speedway the first time their comments afterward were along the lines of "Dad, those are the lamest go-karts we've ever been on, you can't really steer them and they won't go fast and they won't even let you bump into anyone."

That's because they had already had several chances to drive actual go-karts at our local amusement center (mini-golf, laser tag, gokarts, etc.) After that first ride on the tomorrwland speedway, they have never wanted to ride it again. They have much more fun driving carts at the local amusement center, and there is nothing whatsoever magical or Disney themed about the speedway to make it otherwise worth waiting for.

I know that little bitty kids like it. But little kids like carnival bumper cars too, and you don't find those at WDW. I know that Autopia was an original attraction at Disneyland and then copied at MK, but that was over 50 years ago! I guess what bugs me most about the speedway is that it is one of the only attractions at WDW that is no better, and is actually worse, than most car rides that can be found at every cheesy, tacky local amusement park in the country. There's really no excuse for the most magical place on earth having an attraction that can't even measure up to local amusement park competition.

If they are going to keep it, at least they could add a little magic to it.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    So am I...but I do admit I will miss the way it is now only because I'm comfortable with it. But the changes are going to be great and I can't wait to see them finished with it! I'm not looking forward to seeing Fantasyland torn apart and boarded up over the next 3 years!

Plus...this is a major overhaul...not some cosmetic updates or a new hub and spoke ride (Aladdin, Dino-o-Rama)...this is HUGE!
    I'm excited too but at least it looks a majority of the new attractions/expansion will be behind the current wall so we shouldn't see too much construction walls...at least until the walls close off Toontown.

I hope WDW has some type of "Closing Ceremony" for Toontown. I would hate to see it closed down suddenly without notice...even if it is kinda cheesy and dated.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

This is so very exciting. I can see my vacation fund will start TODAY!! I personally think it is great some on the plans "leaked" out. Lets us "older kids" get excited. LOLOL
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post

I hope WDW has some type of "Closing Ceremony" for Toontown. I would hate to see it closed down suddenly without notice...even if it is kinda cheesy and dated.
    I agree. My kids really enjoyed Toontown...we have a lot of great memories (and home video) of each of our kids taking their "clumsy" steps as young toddlers in Mickey's House. My family will miss it, but at least something big is taking its place.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Why shouldn't the Indy ride come to WDW? I will venture to say the average guest would not know or care it is the same layout as Dinosaur. This is no longer a valid argument. Remember, Body Wars and Star Tours were the same ride, just different themes.
    Yeah but the price tag on Indy was also much higher than Star Tours/Body Wars, the former being about $100 million and the latter being about $32 million. Not to mention Indy's been around since 1994 and it's still an incredibly finicky ride system. Dinosaur in AK and Indy at DisneySea aren't much better. I'm pretty sure Disney would think twice about plopping down $100 million on a ride that they essentially already have in Florida.

The only way I could conceivably see them doing this is if the theme and design were unique and not just a clone of the one in California. The one in Tokyo is a clone of California too except for a few minor scene differences.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if this has already been covered or is obvious, but I am posting from my phone at work and can't read all 300+ posts. I just wanted to know if someone could quickly tell me, are the teacups staying, or they going to make way for the new?
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by polynesianwedding View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered or is obvious, but I am posting from my phone at work and can't read all 300+ posts. I just wanted to know if someone could quickly tell me, are the teacups staying, or they going to make way for the new?
    They're staying.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

gonna throw my two cents in the ring here....

Didn't they just buy Marvel? How's that for going after the "boy" demographic? I know it won't show its face in the parks for a long long time, but I think that is something. Yes, girls can be kick-tushy superheros too. But for everyone saying the princess take over of Fantasyland is for girls, then the same would be said for boys and Marvel. While this might not result in things at MK, I bet in the years to come there will be something Marvel related over at Hollywood Studios to bring "balance to the force."

That being said, I ditto Ians' comments from before that I'm really excited about this new Fantasyland. I mean, come on. It's going to be a whole NEW experience. That seems to be really be top notch and well thought out and (hopefully) well executed. When was the last time we got to see something like this? On this scale? Addition of RnR/ToT/Sunset Blvd at the Studios? Those turned out alright, don't ya think?

...you would think they could have squeezed in Mr. Toads Wild Ride back in too, but nooooo.....sigh...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

For the record, I'm 99.9% sure that Disney is contractually prohibited from using the Marvel characters in the Florida theme parks.

I'm pretty sure they already announced that they have no intention to use any of the Marvel characters in any of their WDW parks.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: