Quantcast Flying with a stroller

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flying with a stroller

For those of you who choose to fly and take your own stroller with you, do you check it with your luggage, or do you gate check it? We're first time parents and this will be our first flight with the baby. I'm not sure which would be better to do. 1. I know we'll need the stroller as soon as we get to WDW and we'll be using ME. 2. I'm not sure what gate checking means, but it'd be nice to not have to carry the baby around the airport. 3. How "safe" is the stroller when it's put in the belly of the plane?
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have checked strollers on all of our trips at the gate. It made life much easier to wheel around our 15 month old as opposed to chasing him. They will will find you at your gate usually and hand you a tag for your stroller. You get to wheel it all the way down to the plan and just before you get on, you fold up your stroller and leave it leaning on the wall. When we got off the plane we waited at the same spot for them to unload the stroller right where we had left it. On at least one occassion it was there before we were. There was never any damage. I am not sure where exactly on the plane they put them. We have flown USAIR, SOUTHWEST and Airtran w/o any stroller issues. HAve fun.

Post Thanks / Like

On our first trip as parents (to Disney of course) we checked our stroller in with our bags. BIG MISTAKE! It's not fun carrying a child (4 months at the time) through security and through the entire airport as you wait for your flight. We didn't know that checking it at the gate was an option until we watched others do it on that trip. Ever since then we have used the stroller right up until boarding. They give you a tag and as mentioned before you just collapse it and leave it by the entrance to the plane. It's always been waiting for us when we get off and has never had any damage done to it. Now we are doing this with our second child and in my opinion it's the only option.
    Pooh Fan
    DVC Member- Home Resort SSR
    Sep 2000 - CBR & Dis Wonder
    Sep 2004 - OKW
    Sep 2006 - Pop
    Sep 2008 - OKW
    Feb/Mar 2009 - Off Site
    Sep 2009 - AKV
    Sep 2011 - OKW
    Sep 2012 - Paradise Pier
    Sep 2013 - Offsite and AKV
    Sep 2014 - ASM
    Nov 2015 - SSR
    May 2018 - OKW/AKV Kidani
    Jan 2020 - SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We always gate check ours. It's nice being able to stroll down to the plane, get the kids out of the stroller and go!

Only hang up (and it's not a big deal to us) is the wait for them to get the stroller back up to us...it can sometimes take a few minutes, and some parents get frustrated easily--especially after flying with a LO. But for us...waiting that short amount of time is worth it!!

Another great idea is checking the stroller with baggage and using a sling/baby carrier for your LO. (you didn't say how old your LO was...) My YDS spent most of the first 9 months in a sling, so I was second nature for him (and for me).

25 magical trips and counting...
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    1986 Tampa
    Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    December 2013 Contemporary
    Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Dec 2013 Boardwalk
    PROUD member of the Disney ParksMoms Panel!

*these postings are my own and do not reflect Disney's postions/opinions*

Post Thanks / Like

We always gate check because we need the stroller in the airport. I did buy a stroller bag because I had heard others complain of scuffs or dirty spots on their strollers after flying with them. I really like the bag. Our stroller bag looks pretty dirty after just 2 trips, but the stroller is in perfect condition.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

When we flew with our ODD, we used a gate check stroller bag. Don't waste your money on this bag. It is thin and fell apart before we even got to WDW. Get a better quality bag, you'll be glad you did. Also, are you planning on taking a full size stroller with lots of plastic parts (tray, footrest, cup holder, etc.) Those are the things most likely to get broken when it is in the underbelly of the plane.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

We always check our strollers at the gate - greatest system ever! The tired kids go straight in to their strollers from the gate and you are on your way. Plus, when you get the gate check tag, it makes the employees at the gate that they need to call you to pre-board with your little ones.
    All-Star Sports (Sep 08)
    Caribbean Beach - Pirate Rooms (Sep 09)
    All-Star Sports (Sep 10)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Dec 11)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Feb 13)

Post Thanks / Like

We've gate checked my nephews strollers and haven't had any problems. It's more convenient to take the child right to the plane and then you can also keep the diaper bag, carry on etc in the storage part under the stroller.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters we check our strollers at the gate. It makes life so much easier. I do agree that if your stroller has cup holders/ect... if you can removem them do it or else they might get damaged or lost. Have a great trip!
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: