Quantcast It was decided for us. We are going to.......

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It was decided for us. We are going to.......

Boston. A couple of weeks ago I ask everyone on suggestions for a short weekend trip in driving distance from South Jersey. I had all along been thinking of Boston but thought the 6 hour trip was too long for a Fri to Sun trip.

Well long story short we were invited to a cousins wedding (which I was told we wouldn't be invited to because they were keeping it small) in Sept and it is 1 hour from Boston. So I am leaving work on Thursday at 5:00 and we are driving directly to Boston. We will have all day Friday to do stuff and will be leaving after lunch on Sat to go to the wedding at Fruitlands Musuem.

So I am looking for suggestions on what to see and do on Friday. We will have all day but only one day. We love history so tell me about the freedom trail and how it works.

I also am looking for a hotel that is nice and right in the heart of the sightseeing since I don't want to waste time taking cabs or walking 20 mins to get to things.

Give me everthing you've got. I know it's only a short time and I'm guessing Boston is alot like Philly in there is so much to do but I would like to hit the hilights.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I live just outside of Boston in Somerville.
    Here are my suggestions...

Duck Tours..(highly recommend)
    80 minute land/Charles River tour. Make reservations ahead of time online.

Hop on Hop Off trolley

Freedom Trail...most visitors start at The Visitors Center at The Boston Common. But you can start anywhere you see the red line in the sidewalk.

Quincy Market / Faneuil Hall

Bostix- get half-price tickets to a play, day of performance only.

Walk down Newbury St. Visit the art galleries & nice boutique-style shops.

Whale-watch from the waterfront

USS Constitution

Bunker Hill Monument

Take a picture of the original "Cheers" out front..Don't bother eating there though.

Beacon Hill, walk up the side streets to Louisburg Square.

See a Red Sox game or tour Fenway Park.

John F Kennedy Library

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Museum of Fine Arts

get food from Quincy Market & picnic at Christopher Columbus Park on the waterfront

The New England Aquarium

Buy some fruit at Haymarket

Trinity Church

John Hancock Building

Visit the Boston Public Library. There is a room that has old newspapers from all over the world on microphice. Look up the day you were born & make a copy of the headlines. Great souvenir.

Walk the Esplianade, maybe catch an outdoor concert or movie at The Hatch Shell.

Children's Museum..discounted on Friday evenings.

I will post more when I think of them.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Freedom Trail and Trintiy Church were on the list as well as the USS Cons. (my son loves ships).

The Duck Tour we have done in Philly but if we have time we will do that also.

I will take a look at everything else you mentioned.

If you had to pick 5 things off of that list what would they be.

Do you have any suggestions on a hotel?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, we can't forget about the North End. It is also on The freedom Trail. You will see the Old North Chruch & Paul Revere's House.

Great places to dine on Hanover Street in the North End are..

Giacomo's...Italian, evening hours & cash only
    Then have dessert either at Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry. Finish with coffee at Caffe Vittoria.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest doing the Hop on Hop off trolley. You will see most, if not all, of the sights on the Freedom Trail. You should see quite a bit in one day.

In the evening walk through the north end for dinner.

If you prefer seafood, try Union Oyster House, near Quincy Market. Ask for booth #18. This was John F Kennedy's favorite table.

Good hotel areas are the waterfront or Copley Square area. I'll check online & see what is available. Be back shortly

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ask you what date in September you would be checking in or the age of your son.

I found Westin Copley Place is running a special if you book by July 27. This would be starting at $169.00 per night. Black out dates are Sept 10-12.

This is a very nice hotel in a great location.

Let me know when the actual travel date is.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all that info! I have seen that Mike's Pastry listed in Frommers.

We will be overnight Sept 17th (thurs) and 18th (fri).

My son is 11 and that price is great. One hotel I looked at was $519 per night.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I just called The Westin Copley Place. There is availability for your dates at $169.00 per night. I would jump on this. Ask for code 383511.
    Request a high floor for a fantastic view of Boston & the Charles River.

Parking at the hotel is expensive. $42.00 per night. I would park at the Boston Common garage & walk up to the hotel. Just a short walk down Boylston st. I think the parking there is $10.00 to $12.00 per night.

Post Thanks / Like

5w!ts - Tomb.

its like half-walkthrough dark ride, half show, half-puzzle solving game.

anything with three halves has to be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevelabny View Post
    5w!ts - Tomb.

its like half-walkthrough dark ride, half show, half-puzzle solving game.

anything with three halves has to be good.
    What ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMB View Post
    I just called The Westin Copley Place. There is availability for your dates at $169.00 per night. I would jump on this. Ask for code 383511.
    Request a high floor for a fantastic view of Boston & the Charles River.

Parking at the hotel is expensive. $42.00 per night. I would park at the Boston Common garage & walk up to the hotel. Just a short walk down Boylston st. I think the parking there is $10.00 to $12.00 per night.

Thank you so much. I will give them a call today!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMB View Post
    What ?????

Ditto What is that?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think I was allowed to link, so I didn't. Just google 5w!ts.

Basically, its this "adventure" over by Fenway Park... it'll be hard to explain but I'll try. And I'll leave some stuff out to avoid spoilers. The whole place is indoors but themed to an Egyptian archaeological dig site. When you first walk in, you get the gift shop and what not, but once you buy your ticket, your group is led to the tent for the introduction.

The cast member is in character as the professors assistant, and will explain to you that they recently uncovered this temple, and blah blah blah. They give you flashlights and take you to the uncovered tomb entrance. Where your crew has to find the secret entrance (this is one spot I was actually upset with as it was a glowing button as opposed to something that fit the Egyptian theme)

After you get inside, your in an incredibly gorgeous chamber of Egyptian tomb. Using your flashlights you can see the hieroglyphs on the wall and then a spirit starts talking to you and your flashlights go dead. Some decent special effects happen and after the spirit talks about his challenges and tells you your life is on the line, some fires and light kick on so you can see.

Then you are faced with the challenges of strength, courage, senses, etc. These involve finding hidden symbols on the walls, being brave and standing still while they try to scare you with more darkness and sound effects, pushing big stone blocks (that are on tracks, don't worry)

If you survive the challenges of the first room, you go into the puzzle room... There's a couple of puzzles. A Tower of Hanoi type puzzle, and a tile-flipping jigsaw type thing on the floor. Did I mention you're being timed and the whole room is a death trap? (Don't look up!)

The last room has more hieroglyphs and movable pillars to translate. and a sarcophagus. There's also some shafts of light breaking through the ancient tomb and there might be some mirrors laying around. Continue your Indiana Jones transformation and see if you can save the spirit its curse and escape alive!

When I went, it was 15 bucks a head, now its up to 20. Its only about 45 minutes long, and its not going to change your life, but I enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who likes puzzle-games or theme park type dark-rides/ interactive shows and is in Boston.

We also only spent one day in Boston a few years ago, and we followed the red line of tourists (love love love that red line) and still had time to hit Tomb later in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! Definitely do Tomb! I had my husbands 32nd b-day party there and it was a MAJOR hit. It's perfect for any age and especially great for Disney fans because of the themeing and creativity.

Also, I can't recommend Duck Tours enough. They are the perfect way to get a great overview of the city and the tour guides are the best in the city.

Just to let you know the USS Constitution is undergoing a refurbishment. The largest mast is down, and the deck is mostly covered. My husband and I visited back in June, and I do not believe it will be back to its normal self until the summer of 2010. Regardless, it was a great experience and the Navy staff there are super knowledgeable and entertaining. Plus, it's free! Just keep in mind that it won't be exactly what you see in pictures. Also, make sure you are capable of going down steep, ladder-like stairs otherwise you'll miss a lot of the ship.

If you want pizza that will be on par with home, go to Crazy Dough in The Garage at Harvard Square in Cambridge.

Quincy Market is also a wonderful place for lunch, especially on a nice day. There are great performers in the area and it's just a great place to walk around and explore.

If you're looking for a nice dinner spot, The Laurel Grill in the Back Bay area is fantastic.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Stevelabny, I will have to check this place out. It sounds like something my son would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve thanks for the explaination. It sounds like alot of fun. MFarquar thanks for the heads up on the USS and the dinner suggestions. I'm really excited about this trip I just wish it was going to be longer than a day.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

NJGirl, I know you and your family will have a wonderful time. Be sure to give us a report when you get back.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Don't be confused when someone asks you if you want to go to the potty.

They are really asking if you want to go to the party.

True story of my own confusion during my first week of college due to the Boston accent
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

boston lingo...

pahk ya ca in havid yad...(also known as Park your car in Harvard Yard)

true Bostonian here...

when in Boston, drop your R's

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how we do.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: