Quantcast How 'bout dem Yankees? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Just as long as you understand that being from Philly, with the exception of the Philles (ooooh...original name! Too bad the Penguins couldn't have been the Pittsburgh Pittsies! LOL) last year, I will continue to call you (quite correctly) a loser.

Well since, of the four teams you (fraudulently) root for, only one has won a championship recently, I guess that makes you a loser, as well?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well since, of the four teams you (fraudulently) root for, only one has won a championship recently, I guess that makes you a loser, as well?
    Okay, let me rephrase that then.

Since I root for teams I chose by myself you call me a fraud.

I guess since you root for teams that have been dictated to you I should call you a lemming.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I guess since you root for teams that have been dictated to you I should call you a lemming.
    I prefer the term "loyal."

Or "non-fraud", if you'd like.

Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Well, if you move to the US, then you would most likely start to root for the team in the city where you settled, such as Obama moving to the south side of Chicago being a White Sox fan (which I am guessing is why you chose the Kenya reference) or like my co-worker who moved here in the early 1990's from Pakistan to the North Side of Chicago and is a Cubs fan.

And the 5 year old thing doesn't hold up for me. My first baseball game was when I was 5 and we went to Fenway Park for my first baseball game and I was enamoured with Yaz. I did not become a Red Sox fan (though I do not have anything against them). Still became a Phillies fan when we moved to Philly from FLA as a teenager.
    So I guess growing up in Tennessee or Florida as a child you had no choice but to cheer for Atlanta teams using your logic.

No thanks as much as hate the Yanks, Pagan has you on this one
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the term "loyal.
    So were the Hitler Youth.

Post Thanks / Like

Not pointing fingers at anyone whatsoever (nope, nope, nope ), but to me there is nothing worse than bandwagon fans and fair-weather fans. A loyal fan gets my respect.

And although I think there are different reasons folks like certain teams (and I'm fine with that), I'm generally one who has always liked/chosen teams because of personal geographical ties.

But I can't say that for my kids, as in baseball for example, they've chosen the Red Sox and Yankees. I can certainly assure you that my husband and I have had NOTHING to do with that, and I think it has more to do with the media, etc. We never lived anywhere near either team. We'll see how it holds up as they get older though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Not pointing fingers at anyone whatsoever (nope, nope, nope ), but to me there is nothing worse than bandwagon fans and fair-weather fans. A loyal fan gets my respect.
    And therein lies the catch...misuse of the word "loyal" by our esteemed colleague Ian.

I've been a Pens fan for 42 years, a Dolphins fan for 43, and a Yankee fan for 44.

How much more loyal can you get?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW- can't believe your going to call people frauds who have liked a team for all their lives- that's pathetic of course it doesn't surprise me Ian.

I guess we are frauds Pagan- not!
    I too have picked teams because of either their mascots or their colors when I was very little and have stuck with them all my life.

I think Ian is a very poor sport!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, why am I not surprised to see a thread about the Yankees become a debate on who or who is not a fraud? I'm not going to call someone a fraud if they have genuinely had interest in a team from their youth and follow them religiously, but the thing is around here we are plagued with frauds which is why Ian probably used that term. Maybe it's a local thing, I dunno, but I hear it used often to describe people who live here but support teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Red Sox (from the past few years) etc. because they obviously started following them just because they were good. The thing about some sports fans I've noticed, especially here in our middle atlantic region is that it's almost like a religion. I was raised on Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and 76ers. It's the ultimate form of bonding with my dad and my brother and I know it's the same with many people around here, and whether you think it's silly or not, people do wonder what the heck happened when their kid grows up to like another team. It's not just about that either, but also pride in your hometown. When I go out of town, I always get comments on my Philly sports gear and often end up striking up conversations with people about where their from and do you know this person and that person etc. I would venture to say probably 98% of sports fans root for the local team, otherwise there wouldn't be a team. If rooting for and having pride in the teams in my hometown makes me a loser and a lemming who has to have things dictated to, so be it.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

According to Webster's:

fraud: noun - a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

It is under this definition that I have and will continue to label fans of non-hometown teams as "frauds."

A person who roots for a team with no legitimate reason to root for them is, by definition, a sham fan.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares about the Yankees. What we really should be saying is how about dem bums? (That's the Dodgers for you baseball noobs). I've bled Dodger Blue ever since they came to LA back in the 50's.

Go LA!!
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

According to Webster's:

It is under this definition that I have and will continue to label fans of non-hometown teams as "frauds."

A person who roots for a team with no legitimate reason to root for them is, by definition, a sham fan.
    Okay narrow the definition.....

What is the radius for a "home town" team.

I mean if you live in between Cleveland and Cincy who do you choose, which ever one is minutes closer?

If I lived in Mississippi who is my home town team?

What is a legitimate reason? Granpa's dying wish, you liked the colors, I am not sure there is a universal standard by which this can be determined therfore the definition cannot hold true.

I think your argument is only valid for people who live within the IMMEDIATE area of a another franchise. For example the guy who lives in Jacksonville who cheers for the Cowboys.

Anyways...fun thread
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

According to Webster's:

LOL...whatever makes you sleep better at night, lemming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post

And although I think there are different reasons folks like certain teams (and I'm fine with that), I'm generally one who has always liked/chosen teams because of personal geographical ties.

But I can't say that for my kids, as in baseball for example, they've chosen the Red Sox and Yankees. I can certainly assure you that my husband and I have had NOTHING to do with that, and I think it has more to do with the media, etc. We never lived anywhere near either team. We'll see how it holds up as they get older though.
    Mel, now that you all are back in the US, I wonder if that will hold up. I do blame the media for that and it is one of the things I don't like about ESPN. I would probably have to say a military kid is an exception to the rule because I would think they are going to develop their allegiances by what is given to them by TV exposure on Armed Forces TV (for outside the US). Not sure what the choices were in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Ah, why am I not surprised to see a thread about the Yankees become a debate on who or who is not a fraud? I'm not going to call someone a fraud if they have genuinely had interest in a team from their youth and follow them religiously, but the thing is around here we are plagued with frauds which is why Ian probably used that term. Maybe it's a local thing, I dunno, but I hear it used often to describe people who live here but support teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Red Sox (from the past few years) etc. because they obviously started following them just because they were good. The thing about some sports fans I've noticed, especially here in our middle atlantic region is that it's almost like a religion. I was raised on Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and 76ers. It's the ultimate form of bonding with my dad and my brother and I know it's the same with many people around here, and whether you think it's silly or not, people do wonder what the heck happened when their kid grows up to like another team. It's not just about that either, but also pride in your hometown. When I go out of town, I always get comments on my Philly sports gear and often end up striking up conversations with people about where their from and do you know this person and that person etc. I would venture to say probably 98% of sports fans root for the local team, otherwise there wouldn't be a team. If rooting for and having pride in the teams in my hometown makes me a loser and a lemming who has to have things dictated to, so be it.
    Exactly! Thank you, Maryanne!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantod View Post
    Who cares about the Yankees. What we really should be saying is how about dem bums? (That's the Dodgers for you baseball noobs). I've bled Dodger Blue ever since they came to LA back in the 50's.

Go LA!!
    Interesting you bring up the Dodgers. If you have ever seen Ken Burns' Baseball, you will see how there are people in NY who became Dodger haters the day they moved the team to LA. The section was called "A death in the family".

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post

I mean if you live in between Cleveland and Cincy who do you choose, which ever one is minutes closer?

What is a legitimate reason? Granpa's dying wish, you liked the colors, I am not sure there is a universal standard by which this can be determined therfore the definition cannot hold true.

I think your argument is only valid for people who live within the IMMEDIATE area of a another franchise. For example the guy who lives in Jacksonville who cheers for the Cowboys.

Anyways...fun thread
    See, now you are talking about people who live in what I call a sports "gray area". Central New Jersey is like that. As you get closer to Trenton, what team do you root for? A lot of bars up there have something for everyone.
    My opinion, if you are from a sports gray area, it is acceptable to be fans of teams in either city.

Yes, this is a fun thread!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post

Anyways...fun thread
    Every geographical area has already decided that question for you.

For example, New Jersey doesn't have a football or a baseball team and they're wedged smack dab in between Philly and New York. Who do you root for??

Simple. It's already been decided for you. If you're from South Jersey up to Central Jersey you root for Philly teams. If you're from Central Jersey up to North Jersey you root for the New York teams.

No reason to "decide" anything when you're allegiance was decided decades before you were born.

And yes ... this is obviously said all in fun. Anyone can root for whatever team they want. Some people seem to have missed that point.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

So because I live in Pa in your eyes Ian I would have to root for Philly- not allowed to venture out- that's ridiculous. Whatever so be it- I guess i'm a fraud- at least I have a mind of my own and since I live in this wonderful country that allows me the freedom to choose whatever team I would like i'm going to take advantage of it. I would rather not like sports than to cheer for philly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    So because I live in Pa in your eyes Ian I would have to root for Philly- not allowed to venture out- that's ridiculous. Whatever so be it- I guess i'm a fraud- at least I have a mind of my own and since I live in this wonderful country that allows me the freedom to choose whatever team I would like i'm going to take advantage of it. I would rather not like sports than to cheer for philly.
    Umm, guess you missed this...

And yes ... this is obviously said all in fun. Anyone can root for whatever team they want. Some people seem to have missed that point.
    Folks, it's sports teams, not life or death...
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Folks, it's sports teams, not life or death...
    Exactly....I'd still have a beer with Ian if we met.

THEN I'd call him a lemming.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    So because I live in Pa in your eyes Ian I would have to root for Philly-
    Last time I checked, there were a few teams in Pittsburgh, too?

You seem to be taking this all just a teensy-weensy bit too seriously.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Christine - since I now live in Tampa and have always been a NL girl myself, I've decided to make the Rays my AL team. Is this acceptable? And no, it's not because they were so good last year, etc. I could care less about that. Even though the stadium stinks, we had such a good time at the game last night (where the Rays SPANKED the Yankees ) and plan on going a lot more, and team itself overall seems very likeable. I'm a fan!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: