Quantcast Our Grand Prize Pre-Trip Report!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Grand Prize Pre-Trip Report!

Our Grand Prize Trip to the World, August 2009

Cast of characters:
    TikiG, 36 -- huge WDW fan, podcast fan, and winner of trip
    DH, 41 -- ex-CM who really needs a long vacation
    DD6 – the sweet one in the family. My tomboy.
    DD4 – the spark in the family. My girly-girl.

Supporting characters:
    DBIL and DSIL, DH’s brother and sister-in-law
    DN16, DN12, and DNiece5, their kids
    DBIL#2, DH’s bachelor brother
    Grandma, DH’s mom
    Lou Mongello, podcast host

This trip has a LONG story behind it. If you’re interested in all the details, check out my homepage, where I also have some of the planning details posted. Here’s the short story:

Back in July 2008, I entered a contest sponsored by one of the unofficial Disney World podcasts. And after many weeks of challenges, interviews, and voting, I was declared the winner of the grand prize! It still makes me smile when I think about it. What a wonderful blessing that came into our lives.

The grand prize consists of:
    * 5 nights at a deluxe resort – concierge level
    * 6 day Park Hopper tickets (for 4)
    * Dining Plan (for 4)
    * Gift card to cover airfare expenses
    * Dinner with contest host
    * Round trip ground transfers to/from airport
    * Surprises and ‘pluses’ TBA
    * Digital camera, ipod, and trivia books

We will be spending a glorious seven nights at the Wilderness Lodge – yes, seven, as we had the prize extended from 5 to 7 nights when the buy 4/get 3 promotion came out. We also added two nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge following our Wilderness Lodge stay. So we have 10 day park hoppers, seven days of dining, and a trip that we have only ever dreamed about.

What follows is the basic plan. We’ve only planned dining and some special events. A 10 day trip (the longest we’ve ever taken before was 3 nights) begs for some spontaneity. Maybe we’ll just hop on the first bus that comes in the morning…

Thursday, Aug 6th to Sunday, August 9th: We’ll be visiting with family in Tampa. Plans include going to the Lowry Park Zoo, swimming in the pool, and going to Indian Rocks beach. And going to Rita’s for Italian Ice and custard every day.

Monday, Aug 10th: We’ll be driving to Orlando early (we’ll be up at 5am… and hoping we pass a Dunkin’ Donuts on the way...) and checking into the concierge level at the Wilderness Lodge! Off to Epcot for our first day. Since it is August, we’ll be taking an afternoon break each day to go back to the hotel and rest. Then we’ll head back to a park in the evening for a few hours before going to bed.

Prediction: DH will have to remind me (AKA the park commando) at least 5 times that we are not in a rush to get anywhere. (To my credit, we usually only spend 2 days in the parks on our regular trips. You have to use time effectively!)

Tuesday, Aug 11th: Another early morning – 7:05am ADR at Chef Mickey’s (this was DH’s idea… he’s the morning person… but thankfully I can turn into a morning person if it involves 1) Disney and 2) a full breakfast). Off to Magic Kingdom for EMH at 8am and our first glimpse of the castle!

Prediction: 1st time riding Buzz Lightyear DH will beat me soundly.

Our travel agents have planned a private photo shoot in the rose garden by the castle, in the evening after dinner. We’ll receive a proof book and some photos of the experience. What a treat!

Wednesday, Aug 12th: EMH morning at Animal Kingdom with DH’s extended family.

Prediction: We will not leave the park without at least one dinosaur themed item, as my DD6’s favorite thing in the world is dinosaurs. And I will gladly add to her collection.

In the evening DBIL is going to watch the kids for us so we can go and have dinner at Tokyo Dining with Lou Mongello – part of the prize. Sushi (YUM) and good company. And after dinner we’ll stroll to France, get some dessert (or Grand Marnier Slushes…), and watch Illuminations. Maybe we’ll hit Jellyroll’s too.

Prediction: Thursday morning will come too soon.

Thursday, Aug 13th: EMH morning at Magic Kingdom. ( I know… EMH after a late night… who planned this trip??)

Prediction: 2nd time riding Buzz Lightyear and DD6 will beat me soundly.

The girls are headed to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at 11am… and lunch with the princesses at Cinderella’s Royal Table -- a first for us! Prediction: I WILL cry.

Friday, Aug 14th: Blizzard Beach in the morning (hoping to try Summit Plummet), lunch at T Rex (for my dino-lovin’ DD6) and dinner at California Grill. My husband and I ate here during our honeymoon, so it’s a sentimental favorite.

Saturday, Aug 15th: Breakfast at Crystal Palace before the park opens.

Predictions: I’ll eat so many Pooh waffles that I’ll need to skip lunch. 3rd time riding Buzz Lightyear and my DD4 will beat me soundly.

Sunday, Aug 16th: our last day at WL. Hoop de doo at 5pm. I have a feeling we’re going to love this show!

Monday, Aug 17th: move over to AKL… lay by the pool with a drink with an umbrella in it, while the kids play…

Tuesday, Aug 18th: Last full day at parks. We’ll start with a pre-opening breakfast at Tusker House. I’m hoping the kids will stay up late enough to see Spectromagic.

Wednesday, Aug 19th: Pack up and head out for one more morning of fun. We’ll be heading off to MCO at 3:30pm via towncar for our early evening flight home.

Our travel agent keeps hinting at surprises and extra pixie dust that we might encounter during our trip, but I have no idea what that might be!

I will be writing a full and extensive (read: LONG) report when we get back! We’ll have to see if any of my predictions come true…

Thanks for reading!
    Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kathy! Our trips will miss one anothers by a day, but I wish you a magical, magical time. And yes, you will cry at CRT. And surprisingly, this has been one of our favorite lunches that we ever had in WDW. Delicious, relaxing, exciting, all at the same time!!!! Have a wonderful time!!! Lisa
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations of your Big Win! I can tell from reading this report that your following reports will be a joy to read, so keep them as long as you want and let us enjoy your trip along with you.
    Sandy G.

First Vacation Trip-DXL, August, 2000
    Last Trip-Yacht Club December 2017
    Next Up-The Swan December 2018
    Many In Between

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, first off let me tell you how excited I am for you guys!! The trip itself was wonderful, but your extensions onto it make it such a dream, I am SO excited for you guys! I hope you guys have the time of your lives... and I just know you will.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    [B] A 10 day trip (the longest we’ve ever taken before was 3 nights) begs for some spontaneity. Maybe we’ll just hop on the first bus that comes in the morning…

We're doing our first 10-day trip in October... we've been challenged to do the same thing! Not sure I can stomach it, but if you do -- let me know how it goes!!

Another early morning – 7:05am ADR at Chef Mickey’s (this was DH’s idea… he’s the morning person… but thankfully I can turn into a morning person if it involves 1) Disney and 2) a full breakfast).

We've got a couple of early morning ones, too... only at Disney...

Thursday, Aug 13th: EMH morning at Magic Kingdom. ( I know… EMH after a late night… who planned this trip??)

Sounding more & more familiar...

… and lunch with the princesses at Cinderella’s Royal Table -- a first for us! Prediction: I WILL cry.

Yes, you absolutely will... we loved it when we did it, and want to do it again someday.

Saturday, Aug 15th: Breakfast at Crystal Palace before the park opens.

Predictions: I’ll eat so many Pooh waffles that I’ll need to skip lunch.

Ditto to that, too!!

Monday, Aug 17th: move over to AKL… lay by the pool with a drink with an umbrella in it, while the kids play…

Funny, we're doing the same thing, too. Although we move mid-week... all the more reason, I say, to hang out and relax at the resort!! DH isn't so sure we shouldn't be "going somewhere", but I think he'll agree once we settle in by the pool...
    I just had to make all those comments... some parts of your trip are SO similar to ours!! As well as your DD's and how you describe them... our two are the same as yours, personality-wise. Can't wait to read your trip reports and see how it all falls together, and what all your special surprises are -- I am just so excited for you guys!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I am so excited for you and I cannot wait to hear about it all! Yay!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! How awesome is that! My husband and I keep entering to win a trip...maybe one day we will. Your story gives me hope. Congrats and have wonderful, magical time!
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Have a FANTASTIC time! I am looking forward to reading your report when you get back.
    April

Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
    Emile: Lightningy?

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations

Have a wonderful time. Can't wait for your trip report.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! The Magic is still out there!! I will be watching for your report, if it is half as good as your pre-trip report, well... WoW again!!
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That should be a blast!! I didn't make it past the first round of that contest!

If you haven't met Lou M. before, you are in for a treat! He's a great guy with major Disney knowledge. I met him last year at MagicMeets. Since your dinner with him is right after this years' MagicMeets event, ask him how much his charity auction made! He might even break into tears!! Last year they made $16,617 and Lou decided to make it an even $20K himself.

Enjoy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kathy-I have been waiting for your pre-trip report. This is fantastic! Love what you have shared, the way you shared it, and hearing about your plans. There will be many of us looking forward to hearing about it. I will be at WL just before you and at Disney the entire time you are there. Let's hope for good weather and lots of magic! May God bless your family on this very special gifted trip. Aunt Kari

Post Thanks / Like

How exciting! What a great trip for you and your family! I had to laugh about your expectation of scores on Buzz Lightyear! I don't think I've ever won at that game! Perhaps some pixie dust will hit you and you'll be surprised at your score!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Congrats to the winner. What an awesome trip. Have a great time and make lots of memories. Oh and be sure and report back!

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on winning the trip!!
    sounds like its going to be a great time!! hope you all have a blast!!
    cant wait to read all about when you get back!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

That is so AWESOME!! Have a great time!! I cant wait to hear all about it!! Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

How absolutely awesome! What an amazing experience for your entire family. It's a dream come true .

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all about it.
    Every detail (cracks in the sidewalks, the wrapper on the Mickey bar was askew-I mean ALL the details!) needs to be reported.

Have a great time.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWCrazyKaren View Post
    How absolutely awesome! What an amazing experience for your entire family. It's a dream come true .

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all about it.
    Every detail (cracks in the sidewalks, the wrapper on the Mickey bar was askew-I mean ALL the details!) needs to be reported.

Have a great time.
    LOL I will do my best to report every detail. We'll be posting lots of pictures and hopefully a vacation video too. Wish I had a camera phone (or one that has internet!) so I could update during the trip!

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, I'm so happy you won this. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Great plans! Thanks for the pre-trip report.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy: Can't believe our trip is here already. Seems like yesterday when we were all voting for you. 10 days is a great length --- we've done the 10 day trip twice. Makes it more relaxing. I hope you have a wonderful time.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Kathy, on winning the trip! I tried all week to win a trip off the radio, but to no avail! 10 days You're gonna have the best time! I'll be watching for those trip reports!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: