Quantcast Smoking Areas in the Park - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think though, if the estimate is that 20% of people are smokers, that having the smoking areas on the main paths at the hotels would not satisfy most people. It would mean the other 80% have to pass by them to get to the bus/food court, etc.

Since it's come up a few times, I'm really curious to know how many smokers would totally boycott Disney if it became fully non-smoking? Is that ok to ask here? If not, I'll totally understand if a mod removes this paragraph.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a smoker. I smoke in designated areas only. I do feel these areas should be off the beaten path.

I do get offended when I am in those areas when someone has to make a rude remark to me. I wouldn't think of smoking anywhere else.

I wouldn't comment to someone who had a bottle of perfume on them that I found offensive.

Hope that made sense.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed emotions about this. Although I would love to see smoking completely banned in the parks, I am greatful the smoking areas are "off the beaten path". But, I hate that the smoking areas are now in all of the quiet paths and serene areas of the park. As a nonsmoker, I too would love to be able to enjoy these spaces. I guess I want my cake and eat it too.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I would think though, if the estimate is that 20% of people are smokers, that having the smoking areas on the main paths at the hotels would not satisfy most people. It would mean the other 80% have to pass by them to get to the bus/food court, etc.
    The 20% was US smokers, not a worldwide percentage. The percentage is higher for the rest of the world, which is where the problem would be in making all of the WDW resort non-smoking as WDW does get many foreign visitors. Not to mention it would be next to impossible to have the manpower to enforce these rules. They have problems now to have CMs enforce the rules as they currently stand.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    The 20% was US smokers, not a worldwide percentage. The percentage is higher for the rest of the world, which is where the problem would be in making all of the WDW resort non-smoking as WDW does get many foreign visitors. Not to mention it would be next to impossible to have the manpower to enforce these rules. They have problems now to have CMs enforce the rules as they currently stand.
    That is true, I was not taking into account that the percentage is higher in other countries and that some percentage of those people do come vacation at WDW. I know in the UK they have banned smoking in all public areas (I think someone already mentioned that here), and while WDW is a huge UK destination, I know they're not the only country that brings visitors.

Obviously if WDW were entirely non-smoking, someone would break the rules, just like some people break the rules now. I don't think it would be any more prevelant than it is now though. I guess I'm assuming that the number of people willing to break the rules and get expelled from the parks is fairly low and would remain consistent. Therefore Disney wouldn't need more manpower to enfoce the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't smoke but I am not bothered by walking past a smoking section. Ya, it smells and yes its quite unhealthy but I am sure there is no risk of lung cancer. There are many harmful chemicals in the air we breathe and being exposed to a cig for a second won't kill me. Disney needs to have smoking sections to accommodate the people who use them. After all it's not illegal. Everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation whether they smoke or not. I wish people would be a little more tolerant and not so quick to pass judgement.
    01-93 off sight
    03-04 POP
    08-04 POP
    03-05 POP
    11-05 POP
    06-06 POR
    05-07 CSR
    01-08 POP
    07-08 POR
    03-09 ASMU
    08-09 POP
    08-10 POP
    02-11 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alicia524luvstw View Post
    After all it's not illegal. Everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation whether they smoke or not. I wish people would be a little more tolerant and not so quick to pass judgement.

My post was not meant to be intolerant. I have many friends and family members who smoke, but they know how I feel about them smoking around my child or holding him after they have smoked. That is a big no no in my book!

Yes, smokers have the right to enjoy their vacation the way they wish too, but so do I. I simply wish that Disney would not place any of the smoking areas in places that I am forced to walk by or through with my 7 month old!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

No one is forced to walk by or through the smoking areas. The areas are marked on the park marks. The park maps aren't just to show smokers where they need to go. They are also there for people to avoid if need be.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwnomad View Post
    No one is forced to walk by or through the smoking areas. The areas are marked on the park marks. The park maps aren't just to show smokers where they need to go. They are also there for people to avoid if need be.
    This is not entirely accurate. The only way to the teardrop is through a narrow smoking area.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    This is not entirely accurate. The only way to the teardrop is through a narrow smoking area.

Yes, that was the point of this post...in many cases, the only way to get to a place (or the only way to get to a place without going WAY out of the way) is to go right by or through a smoking area. This included the entrance to our building at SSR.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Obviously if WDW were entirely non-smoking, someone would break the rules, just like some people break the rules now. I don't think it would be any more prevelant than it is now though. I guess I'm assuming that the number of people willing to break the rules and get expelled from the parks is fairly low and would remain consistent. Therefore Disney wouldn't need more manpower to enfoce the issue.
    You assume they would enforce the rules.
    Disney seems very reluctant to ruffle feathers and confront any guest so my guess is that the enforcement would be no better than it is now. I would be shocked to see anyone thrown out of the park for smoking.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Michelle, I understand your complaint, but as someone pointed out, with the large number of international travelers and the fact that there still is a percentage of people in the US who smoke, Disney does not want to lose money from that segment of the population either. It is a really hard thing for a company to balance. I agree that at the hotels they could put them in better locations, but you have to ask where? If there isn't a clear path to these spots, people are going to have a hard time locating the areas. Plus, you have to take the savannahs into consideration. There needs to be some way to compromise that will satisfy the most people.

Actually, at AKL, they used to have a smoking area at a back door behind Jiko. I thought that was a better spot than the one in the front, but Disney did away with the one in back. The lack of smoking areas at AKL (I think there are only 2 areas) is a reason why my sister does not want to stay there.
    I understand that the areas need to be easy to find, but I guess I still disagree. If you are a smoker it is your responsibility to find the smoking area. You don't just pee on the ground because you couldn't find a restroom, right? It's the same thing in my mind. You get a map, you ask for directions, and you pay attention to your surroundings. Honestly I don't remember it being that hard. When DH smoked I never remember not being able to find a spot. It all comes down to consideration for others even if it may not be the most convenient thing for each individual. The smoking areas don't need to be at the building entrance. Disney needs to do a better job of enforcing the rules. I bet more people would invest the effort into locating out of the way spots if there were real consequences.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the one back by Splash Mountain always has at least 20 people sitting at it smoking. It doesn't matter if you try to walk as far away as it as possible you still are able to smell it. We just stop going back around that way. And what about people that are allergic to smoke? That's enough to bother them.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    You assume they would enforce the rules.
    Disney seems very reluctant to ruffle feathers and confront any guest so my guess is that the enforcement would be no better than it is now. I would be shocked to see anyone thrown out of the park for smoking.
    You're right. It would be pretty unlikely that someone would be thrown out. But, I have seen CMs address smokers outside of smoking areas twice, once because I just happened to catch it, and once because I let someone know. They were most definitely not timid about it. They were polite but very firm. I would expect the same type of enforcement if the parks were non-smoking.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or do there seem to be more people smoking wherever they care to in the parks? I have never seen a CM say anything to them when this happens...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree some are in a bad area. I don't know if it is a designated smoking spot but people always seem to be smoking it in the benches across from the Aloha Island where you get the dole whips. We sat closer to the entrances to the tree houses because it always smells like cigarette smoke in that area. I am allergic to it.

Dd saw a couple of people lighting up and asked about it. They weren't in a designated smoking area. I said only loud enough for her to hear don't worry about it cause it was about to rain & that would put them out. She just laughed.

It was a relief though to get to disney. After traveling from NY where you don't have to worry about smoking & non smoking sections it was nasty going into restaurants where you could smoke. No matter where you sit you can still smell it.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gooftroop5 View Post
    I agree some are in a bad area. I don't know if it is a designated smoking spot but people always seem to be smoking it in the benches across from the Aloha Island where you get the dole whips. We sat closer to the entrances to the tree houses because it always smells like cigarette smoke in that area. I am allergic to it.
    That's a smoking area.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gooftroop5 View Post

It was a relief though to get to disney. After traveling from NY where you don't have to worry about smoking & non smoking sections it was nasty going into restaurants where you could smoke. No matter where you sit you can still smell it.
    Where in NY? I thought smoking was prohibited in indoor bars & restaurants for at least 5 years now. I know there are some guidelines for smoking in establishments with outdoor space but for the most part it's against the law.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    Where in NY? I thought smoking was prohibited in indoor bars & restaurants for at least 5 years now. I know there are some guidelines for smoking in establishments with outdoor space but for the most part it's against the law.
    It is banned in NY. No smoking in anybuilding including clubs like VFW, American legions, etc if you have a paid bartender. Several places got fined for it in our area. Most sporting venues you can only smoke in designated spots. My dh's work you have to go outside & they have one spot that is away from the doors. If it's raining you have to either get wet or go to your car.

We don't have to worry about smoking & non-smoking because it isn't allowed in NYS. The further south you get the restaurants have smoking sections. The hotels have smoking rooms too. We stopped at one hotel & it was suppose to be a non-smoking room. It stunk like someone had been smoking in there.We think it was the housekeeping that smoked in the room. They switched our room. however people were allowed to walk thru the halls smoking.

So once you get to Disney it is like being in NY State no smoking except in designated area.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry - I completely misread your post. Nevermind.
    ~ Christine

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: