Quantcast Thoughts on Wilderness Lodge - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

we will be staying for the first time next week, so I will let you know how we liked it when we get home. We are very excited and I have a feeling we won't want to stay anywhere else after this trip!
    When you wish upon a star !!!!!!!

Wilderness Lodge 09
    All Star Movies 08Port Orleans 07All Star Movies 06 Off Property 02

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just booked the Wilderness Lodge for the first time for next July. Can't wait!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love WL!

You have been given great advice....
    We love WL and will be there in January for the marathon weekend. Of course after I kill myself in the half-marathon I may not leave the room..if I make it to the elevator...if not I will be the one passed out in one of the chairs in front of the fireplace
    Definitely take your kids to the Whispering Canyon Cafe! It's a hoot!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

We are seriously considering the WL or WLV for our Spring trip. It seems like everyone loves it there. It would save us considerable $$.
    Only concern is the big boats and the ECV's, but it appears that will not be a problem.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Little update - my in-laws stayed at VWL last week and got to be the flag family. They were very fortunate to have Stan, because he is retiring on 10/30/09, sad we won't get to meet him next year...
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

They were very fortunate to have Stan, because he is retiring on 10/30/09, sad we won't get to meet him next year...
    DH and I were discussing this very thing a few weekends ago and we both had a gut feeling that Stan would soon be stepping down. He's truly a great man (and spokesperson for Disney), and celebrating the flag with him during each of our stays the past several years has been a HUGE highlight of staying at WL.

Notwithstanding the sad news of Ranger Stan's departure, WL has become our favorite Disney resort - and one that we continue to come back to each year. While we did have some bumps with the front counter staff this past June, I'm confident this was more of an exception than the rule. The other staff members around the hotel were spectacular, and the activities around the lodge can't be beat.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

i think you will love the wilderness lodge! i stayed there for the first time in june, and i'm staying again next week. some of my tips will be repeats, but here are some things i enjoy about it:
    -a nice walk through the woods over to fort wilderness. it's either 1 or 2 miles one way, but it's a nice relaxing walk
    -movies are shown at night on the beach there. we watched wall-e one night. beach chairs are out for everyone to sit in
    -if you have family members who like pin trading, they have a small pin booth with a pin trading book you can look through each day and trade if you want to
    -whispering canyon restaurant is alot of fun and good food! it's not a quiet place by any means, but i you like liveliness while you eat, you'll love it. plenty of activities for kids during the meals too.
    -rocking chairs and fireplaces are everywhere!!

enjoy!
    POR 10/13, DL Hotel 9/13, Poly 1/13
    CB 10/12
    Poly 1/12
    POR 10/11
    POFQ 5/11
    Poly 1/11
    GF 11/10
    POFQ 5/10
    Poly 1/10
    WL 10/09
    WL 6/09
    AKL1/09
    CB 7/08
    CS 5/08
    Pop 4/08
    CB 10/07 &12/07
    Yacht Club 07
    POFQ 06
    POFQ 05
    POR 04
    ASM 03
    ASM 00
    AS Movies 99
    OffSite 97
    AS Sports 96

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they still do it, but they used to have a Hidden Mickey search. The front desk had a sheet w/ clues on it & we spent about an hour searching for them all. It was really fun & a good way to look around the resort
    Offsite: 72', 89
    Poly: 76', 97', 02', 03',06
    Golf Resort: 79'
    Contemporary: 88'
    WL: 00', 01',14'
    BC: 05', 07'(surprised the kids!!), 09'
    BW 11

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they still do it, but they used to have a Hidden Mickey search. The front desk had a sheet w/ clues on it & we spent about an hour searching for them all. It was really fun & a good way to look around the resort
    Yep, they still have the Hidden Mickey Search page! If it's not included in your welcome packet upon check-in, don't hesitate to ask for one.

This was an ideal activity for us one night when it was pouring out & we just wanted to stay in. We ordered a pizza, then wandered the rest of the night, trying to find those elusive Mickeys!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE the WL! Couple of things you could look into...
    1. Guided tour of the resort (ask @ front desk)
    2. Flag Family of the Day (see Ranger Stan)
    3. Elec. light parade on the beach @ night
    4. Water taxis to CR, MK and FW (@ dock)
    5. Walking path to FW
    6. WCC (ask for ketchup)
    7. Real geyser (every 30 min)
    8. Arcade
    9. Marina (mouse racer boats)
    10. Great pool/hot tubs (yes...tubS)

The resort itself is a real jewel. If your're an early riser, the sunrise @ the dock is truly stunning!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RocknBev View Post
    You have been given great advice....
    We love WL and will be there in January for the marathon weekend. Of course after I kill myself in the half-marathon I may not leave the room..if I make it to the elevator...if not I will be the one passed out in one of the chairs in front of the fireplace
    Definitely take your kids to the Whispering Canyon Cafe! It's a hoot!
    Hey Bev,

My brother in law and I are running the Half Marathon and staying at WL too! Enjoy your chair by the fireplace. We'll probably end up recuperating in one of the hot tubs at the pool on Saturday night . Have a great race!
    Kevin

1996 POFQ
    1999 POR
    2001 WL
    2003 WL
    2005 WL
    2006 CR/POFQ
    2007 BC
    2010 WL/BC (Half Marathon)
    2009 Cruise on the Wonder
    2011 WL (Half Marathon)
    2012 BWI (Wine and Dine Half Marathon)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice. A little update . . . hubby was laid off a couple of months ago and we cancelled the trip. Then, he decided to start his own business so things are looking up a bit (a little, little bit, but it's something). He felt badly that that we wouldn't be going because I went back to school a couple of years ago and I'm finally graduating at the end of this month! The original trip was what I wanted for graduation. So, me and the kids are going to go in February, but we had to downgrade to Pop. I'm happy to still be going and I really enjoy Pop, but I was looking forward for all of us to have a really nice stay at the WL.

We've made our ADR for Whispering Canyon so we can at least get over to the resort and have a fun meal and look around while we're there. It's not the same, but I'm sure we'll enjoy it very much. Does anyone know if we'll be able to get a hidden Mickey list while we're over there for our dinner?

Thanks again for everyone's wonderful advice. Hopefully we'll be able to put it to good use sooner rather than later!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if we'll be able to get a hidden Mickey list while we're over there for our dinner?
    Absolutely - just ask at the front desk. While I'm sorry your plans to WL had to be cancelled for now, at least you're making the trip to POP in February and can still enjoy Disney's magic. WL will be there when you're ready for your first stay!

Congrats on your graduation, by the way!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)

Post Thanks / Like

your kids have great taste! the pool is uber cool in comparison, I think. The grounds are much more tranquil and, of course, location location location. You can always go to fort wilderness for the smore singalong and movie; chip and dale are there. There is a scavenger hunt you can get from your lobby at wilderness lodge, and I agree Artist Point is a fantastic place to eat. Whispering Canyon is not our forte, I have learned to despise disney restaurants that are loud. I need to take it back when I eat in a theme park setting not kick it up 10 notches. Their counter service there at WL is really good, too. And fort wilderness has the cheapest buffet on property for dinner if you are looking for a smorgasboard.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice. A little update . . . hubby was laid off a couple of months ago and we cancelled the trip. Then, he decided to start his own business so things are looking up a bit (a little, little bit, but it's something). He felt badly that that we wouldn't be going because I went back to school a couple of years ago and I'm finally graduating at the end of this month! The original trip was what I wanted for graduation. So, me and the kids are going to go in February, but we had to downgrade to Pop. I'm happy to still be going and I really enjoy Pop, but I was looking forward for all of us to have a really nice stay at the WL.

We've made our ADR for Whispering Canyon so we can at least get over to the resort and have a fun meal and look around while we're there. It's not the same, but I'm sure we'll enjoy it very much. Does anyone know if we'll be able to get a hidden Mickey list while we're over there for our dinner?

Thanks again for everyone's wonderful advice. Hopefully we'll be able to put it to good use sooner rather than later!
    dont feel bad. we are going through the same thing and my husband is, as well, trying to do independent contracting. We love deluxe and had to stay moderate; it was the cheapest thing to do for 5 people and we were so homesick for beach club the entire trip. I think we would've been happier at pop, personally. At least it's whimsical and fun. Look at it that way, and just be lucky to be there. We are going in December bc we have annual passholders but we are only going with enough chump change for gas, so I feel like we are really pushing it. Things will get better and disney will be waiting! goodluck.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

One of, if not the best Disney themed resort. The attention to detail here is second to none.

The resort is comfortable. It's really well done and it's just plain nice to stay there.

I could list a few flaws, but these are minor, nit-picky details.

Great place.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the Whispering Canyons, don't forget to ask for ketchup!
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: