Quantcast When Was the First Time You Felt "Old"? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently started having some "old" moments when I walk by or into a store and say that the music is too loud or that it's garbage.

Don't old people say that?

In my defense, since when did stores (other than music stores) start to have really loud music? No 'since you got old' comments please. Also in my defense, most new music out there is garbage. A lot of music of any single generation is. No generation can get by without a lot of stinkers in their music repertoire.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For parents, age is always put into perspective when you inevitably say, "Oh my! My child is (blank) years old!" It doesn't matter if your child is 5 or 50, it really makes you know that life is way too short.

On a more personal nature, I felt old when I was in my early thirties and I went to a rock concert. I don't even remember who it was (Marilyn Manson maybe?) but I looked around and there were almost all teenage kids surrounding me. I felt ridiculously out of place and decided to go to concerts with a crowd more my age after that.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

i just recently turned 30, and i fortunately still look relatively young. most take me for 21-24 or thereabouts. kids think i'm cool because im into all the current trends, and older people think im young for the same reasons. still, it hits me everyso often. i work retail sales and meet lots of people and families.

key points, when talking about something current like guitar hero, and Guns N' Roses is featured. I listened to them, and still do but I keep forgetting that 1987 was 22 YEARS AGO! And most kids who play the game were babies or worse, not born yet! It's already classic to them, but still current to me!

Or when they think I'm just a little older and they ask me when I graduated (high school) and seeing the shocked look on their faces when they realize I am almost their parent's age. I'm glad im not aging to badly, but i am all the more aware that I'm not the kid i used to be.

bummer!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

When I started realizing that professional athletes were younger then me was a HUGE I feel old moment for me and I am only 29.

Probably the biggest thing was when I realized I just cannot get away with walking out of the house w/o makeup on. I use to NEVER EVER wear makeup and my skin had this lovely glow to it (comes from being Irish pale) but not so much now.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    When I started realizing that professional athletes were younger then me was a HUGE I feel old moment for me and I am only 29.
    ~Amanda
    Haha good point! I felt the same way when I realized that grizzled veteran Red Sox catcher, the captain of the team, and possibly washed up, Jason Varitek is a YEAR YOUNGER THAN ME! Ouch. Apparently Mike Lowell is FOUR YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME, and David Ortiz is FIVE YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME. How can that be? I guess I am getitng old.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Haha good point! I felt the same way when I realized that grizzled veteran Red Sox catcher, the captain of the team, and possibly washed up, Jason Varitek is a YEAR YOUNGER THAN ME! Ouch. Apparently Mike Lowell is FOUR YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME, and David Ortiz is FIVE YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME. How can that be? I guess I am getitng old.
    I find margaritas help you forget about being old....until the next day when you can't suffer through a hangover like you use to.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I tried to teach my daughter how to do a cartwheel. I made a successful cartwheel, but I was sooooo sore for like the next week!! EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY HURT!!!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I have realized that we've both started grunting when we get up from our chairs.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to an antique store, and point at this and this and this, and say, "We used to have one of those".
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

1.) When I decided to answer this thread...
    2.) When I tried to teach my daughter how to roller skate, something I had never really done cause we lived in the country. Not too old to skate--just too old to fall.
    3.) When I mustered the courage to head back to college the day my youngest started kindergarten, and in the very first class of the day the professor told us to each state our name and the year we graduated H.S. What was the point of that?! Brought it home pretty fast. The cool part was though that the class was British Lit., and pretty soon the rest of the
    "kids" were lost, and the prof and I enjoyed discussing the books pretty much exclusively (we were about the same age). Kind of gave me back my confidence
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only 26 BUT...

When my mom and I said the same thing to my daughter at the same time...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I don't feel old certain weeks...but I feel very old at other times.

For example, as of recently, 3 college freshmen have moved in upstairs in my apartments. They do not live directly above me; they are just in my building. What annoys me is that there are ALWAYS people over. And when I say people, I mean like 20-30 people. There is NEVER parking at my building. For the past week I have been sick with Swine Flu. Do you think I want to park far away and walk with a bunch of stuff to my building?

That said, I just turned 31, I still go out when I am not studying for my Master's classes/have DD/working, so I thought I felt fairly young. But, when I started yelling at the college kids for having too many people over and having too many cars parked here, I felt VERY old.

Somewhere after 28-30 you start seeing things in a different light.
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I really felt OLD was when I was temping at a PR agency a few years ago, and while talking with a co-worker, discovered that we were both SUNY Albany alumni. However, the year I graduated was the year she was born! Talk about feeling old!

I no longer fret about being old though... with a dad and many aunts who died young, I consider growing old to be a privilege. After all, consider the alternative!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

The (georgeous) 20 year old trainer at the gym pats my hand, and says, "you're doing fine, DEAR."
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I really felt old last year when none of my sixth grade students knew what a "record" was, as in music vinyl, which I collect and still play. I feel old when I read that a celebrity that looks my age or older and is actually younger then me. Normally I don't think about my age unless a situation comes up that reminds me of it, although I am grateful not to be a teenager these days.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    A few years ago I tried to teach my daughter how to do a cartwheel. I made a successful cartwheel, but I was sooooo sore for like the next week!! EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY HURT!!!
    I did this as well for my kids, hurt so bad I decided not to go for the round-off !

As for when I felt old... Today I had to go to the university to do some stuff for school (taking online courses for a higher degree). Everyone was so young and every one at the information desks I went to for help would give me that look.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I was when I realized that 2011 it will be the 40th anniversary of the opening of WDW and that most of the people who have responded to this thread had yet to be born in 1971!
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AHOTE View Post
    I knew I was when I realized that 2011 it will be the 40th anniversary of the opening of WDW and that most of the people who have responded to this thread had yet to be born in 1971!
    I was born in 1971. Maybe I should celebrate my 40th bday with WDW.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Post inspired by my current surroundings. I am in my early thirties but I feel very old right now. I am travelling on business and the coworkers here that I am working with are all fresh out of college! I feel like I could be thier mom even though the age difference is probably only 10 years. LOL so help me feel like I am not alone here. When did you first feel the generational gap?
    Well, you don't work with my DH! He is in an industry where people aren't retiring... he is one of the youngest in this large coporation and a lot of the people are around 20 years older than him. He gets comments all the time about being an "intern" which he hasn't been in a very very long time.

My thing is when I go to the doctor and he or she is much more educated than I am and yet so much younger. I think to myself "When did you have the time to do this?!?!?" It makes me laugh every time!

I am also in my early 30s and don't feel old in the least. Nothing hurts, my eyesight is the same, I can stay up late and get up early (not like I use to, I guess but enough for me!)... over all I am enjoying growing older and life changes.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well when I woke up this morning and realized today is my 41st birthday I felt old. I prefer to call it the 2nd anniversary of my 39th birthday just to make me feel better.

I think the hardest though was last year when I was 40 and went for my yearly physical, dental cleaning etc. everyone kept saying "well now that you are 40 you need to......... yada yada yada" People stop reminding me I am 40 paaaleeeese!!!!!
    Because my birthday is on 9/11 I never celebrate it on the actual day. Just a personal choice out of respect. Since turning 40 I really don't feel like celebrating and kind of just want to pretend it isn't my birthday and that I am not getting older.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Share This Thread On Social Media: