Quantcast Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    Oh I can't wait to see how this is going to play out in the parks. I just can NOT see the Hulk and Mickey Mouse together, Yuck!
    This is about as likely as seeing RD2D following Snow White around as the 8th Dwarf.

Seriously, they are not going to drop Super Heros into Fantasyland. Everyone needs to drop that line of thinking.

Although.. I get a chuckle thinking about Cinderella having tea with Spidey.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK from everything I have been reading the last two days (different sources) this is what "seems" to be the deal.

Universal holds the licensing rights to Spiderman, Hulk and Men in Black (don't know if they are Marvel) for perpetuity. This means that they will not have to pay anything to Disney and also means that Disney can not use them in Disney World Theme Parks.

A quote that I also read directly from Universal said that the Marvel Characters that are used at IOA will not in anyway be affected by the Disney/Marvel deal.

As someone mentioned before (sorry I'm not a big comic book fan so I don't know which characters are Marvel) Popeye and Dudley Do Right are not Marvel so those rides can also remain as is.

I was hoping for some new themeing at IOA but I guess that's not a for sure thing now.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

One may be almost assured that Disney, once DCA is completed and the rumored Fantasyland refurb is done, the company will focus on the rights to Spiderman, etc now held by Universal.

With Disney owning Marvel, there is no way the company will allow its major competition to continue to have rides and attractions based upon something Disney owns. Now whether that means Disney goes to court to have the "in perpetuity" contracts dissolved due to their new ownership or some sort of contract buy-out remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Speculation is what we all do best on this board but none of us has any idea what is in store for this franchise. Someone mentioned earlier that Disney doesn't even know how to properly capitalize on the Muppets, so who knows what will happen with Marvel. I am a Marvel fan however, and I'm intrigued to see what the future may hold. For all of those saying that they don't see how the worlds would mix and that they don't want their princesses cohabitating with super heroes, I say: "Really?" I mean, MGM/DHS in particular has always had plenty characters/attractions that did not have direct Disney roots... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers meet and greets... The Lucas stuff... Aerosmith... Drew Carey. I don't see it all that far fetched for a super hero meet and greet in the Streets of America to take place or a stunt show with super heroes. It's not like Spiderman is going to be scaling Cinderella Castle, or having to rescue Snow White from Doctor Octopus, sheesh!
    Very well put! I was thinking the same thing. I remember suffering a disconnect at the idea of seeing Star Wars characters at WDW. But they've done it well enough that now, it feels like they belong there. If they decide to introduce Marvel characters or themeing (don't know if I spelled that right) in the the parks, I feel confident they'll do it well. I think it's a very smart move on their part and I'm very excited to see what they do with it!

Post Thanks / Like

I also meant to say that Indiana Jones used to be at US as well. I remember seeing it when I was younger on a trip to CA.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are I understand why they did it. The money is a big thing for me 4 billion could have gone a long way in the parks. But then too if they have this Marvel property it will benifit the parks later on with the money they will get with all the licencing. DIsney XD is mostly Marvel animation now as it is so that wont be a big change. I am a Mavel fan and I am still kind of wondering about this deal still.

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    With Disney owning Marvel, there is no way the company will allow its major competition to continue to have rides and attractions based upon something Disney owns. Now whether that means Disney goes to court to have the "in perpetuity" contracts dissolved due to their new ownership or some sort of contract buy-out remains to be seen.
    If everything I have been reading is true Disney is not holding the cards when it comes to those licensing contracts and can not force Universal to give them up.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Universal holds the licensing rights to Spiderman, Hulk and Men in Black (don't know if they are Marvel) for perpetuity. This means that they will not have to pay anything to Disney and also means that Disney can not use them in Disney World Theme Parks.
    Wrong, Universal is still licensing the use of the characters from Marvel, so they are still paying for their use. They will be paying Disney now as long as they are using them at the parks.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Disney already totally ripped off the story of the "Fantastic 4" from Marvel when the made the "Incredibles" movie. So they might as well purchase the company that birthed that idea. It's true......deal with it.

It kills me when I read these boards, they are full of people that say things like: "this is stupid", "waste of money", "don't change the original Disney magic". Are you kidding me? Folks.......Disney is a business. And right now, Disney is missing a MAJOR market. That market is a young Male/Boy demographic. Period.

Disney wants this market in a big way.....and they should. Because this market spends major money for many many years....movies, comics, video games, books, gadgets, etc.. There is very very little in Disney's portfolio right now that pulls this market in (Pirates and very few others).

Do you have any idea how many families come to Disney World and HAVE TO make a trip over to Universal for at least a day for Spider-man alone? If you have a young boy in your travel party......they are done with princesses very quickly at WDW. If they had a section of DHS with Spider-man, X-Men, and Iron Man....This would cover EVERYTHING a family could want. From young Boys....Girls.......and beyond.

Marvel has a wealth of characters and stories that Disney would love to make money on. Take Spider-Man for example. The stories of Spider-Man can be told in a very young "cartoony" basic way.......or can be told in a very dark adult version. Marvel has made millions on both sides of this coin for years.

Here's to hoping that Marvel Super Hero Island does not go anywhere at IOA. Universal nailed this and it is one of.....if not the greatest themed land in ALL of Orlando. And Spider-Man IS the greatest ride in ALL of Orlando. No question.
    Parks visited:-Magic Kingdom-Epcot-MGM-Disneyland-California Adventures-Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure-Sea World-Busch Gardens Tampa & Williamsburg-Six Flags over GA & Great Adventure NJ-Dollywood-Paramount's Kings Dominion

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it, DIsney now has an awesome cast to pull from to replace the Indiana Jones show. Replace it with a Super Hero show, maybe the Fantastic Four Super Hero Stunt Spectacular and you have an instant crowd pleaser and help move some of the teens away from ToT and RnR and into a stage show.

THey can also use Marvel characters now to retheme RnR if the deal with Aerosmith goes away.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I are HUGE Marvel fans and we are HUGE Disney fans...we ar very excited to see what will come of this. I am one that hopes to see a merge of characters at the parks....this would be wonderful!!!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRock0114 View Post
    Disney already totally ripped off the story of the "Fantastic 4" from Marvel when the made the "Incredibles" movie. So they might as well purchase the company that birthed that idea. It's true......deal with it.

It kills me when I read these boards, they are full of people that say things like: "this is stupid", "waste of money", "don't change the original Disney magic". Are you kidding me? Folks.......Disney is a business. And right now, Disney is missing a MAJOR market. That market is a young Male/Boy demographic. Period.

Disney wants this market in a big way.....and they should. Because this market spends major money for many many years....movies, comics, video games, books, gadgets, etc.. There is very very little in Disney's portfolio right now that pulls this market in (Pirates and very few others).

Do you have any idea how many families come to Disney World and HAVE TO make a trip over to Universal for at least a day for Spider-man alone? If you have a young boy in your travel party......they are done with princesses very quickly at WDW. If they had a section of DHS with Spider-man, X-Men, and Iron Man....This would cover EVERYTHING a family could want. From young Boys....Girls.......and beyond.

Marvel has a wealth of characters and stories that Disney would love to make money on. Take Spider-Man for example. The stories of Spider-Man can be told in a very young "cartoony" basic way.......or can be told in a very dark adult version. Marvel has made millions on both sides of this coin for years.

Here's to hoping that Marvel Super Hero Island does not go anywhere at IOA. Universal nailed this and it is one of.....if not the greatest themed land in ALL of Orlando. And Spider-Man IS the greatest ride in ALL of Orlando. No question.
    This is exactly what I wanted to say but you put it way better than I could of...good for you!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Speculation is what we all do best on this board but none of us has any idea what is in store for this franchise. Someone mentioned earlier that Disney doesn't even know how to properly capitalize on the Muppets, so who knows what will happen with Marvel. I am a Marvel fan however, and I'm intrigued to see what the future may hold. For all of those saying that they don't see how the worlds would mix and that they don't want their princesses cohabitating with super heroes, I say: "Really?" I mean, MGM/DHS in particular has always had plenty characters/attractions that did not have direct Disney roots... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers meet and greets... The Lucas stuff... Aerosmith... Drew Carey. I don't see it all that far fetched for a super hero meet and greet in the Streets of America to take place or a stunt show with super heroes. It's not like Spiderman is going to be scaling Cinderella Castle, or having to rescue Snow White from Doctor Octopus, sheesh!
    Disney was limited in what they could actually do with the Muppets due to existing contracts that had to be honored when they bought Jum Henson's company. Those contracts are now expiring and a whole slew of Muppet related movies, shows, etc are in the pipeline. Disney didn't blow it with the Muppets. They were just limited.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Maybe stupid wasn't the right word choice ... how about "depressing" or "disappointing."

The notion that the "best in class family entertainment company" was so desperate to find properties to market to buys that they had to spend $4 billion to acquire someone else's ideas is a little frustrating to me.

I can think of so many ways I'd rather see them spend that money.
    Spend it on what? They wouldn't have spent it on the parks, two different budgets. So what else would they spend it on? M&A's budget is separate from P&R.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Very well put! I was thinking the same thing. I remember suffering a disconnect at the idea of seeing Star Wars characters at WDW. But they've done it well enough that now, it feels like they belong there. If they decide to introduce Marvel characters or themeing (don't know if I spelled that right) in the the parks, I feel confident they'll do it well. I think it's a very smart move on their part and I'm very excited to see what they do with it!
    Star Wars is where it belongs, in DHS. I wouldn't mind some sort of Star Wars theme in Tomorrowland though. Marvel would be perfect in DHS as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    Wrong, Universal is still licensing the use of the characters from Marvel, so they are still paying for their use. They will be paying Disney now as long as they are using them at the parks.
    This is correct. Universal still has to pay Disney the license fees for Marvel. Question is, how profitable is Marvel Super Hero Island for Universal that they want to promote Disney characters in their park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Disney was limited in what they could actually do with the Muppets due to existing contracts that had to be honored when they bought Jum Henson's company. Those contracts are now expiring and a whole slew of Muppet related movies, shows, etc are in the pipeline. Disney didn't blow it with the Muppets. They were just limited.
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm pretty sure you got that from Jim Hill, and it's just not true. If it were true, then how did Disney release the pathetic Muppet Wizard of Oz? How were they able to do new Christmas Specials? How were they able to create new merchandise, and release a few seasons of DVDs? How were they re-branding their website 4 or 5 years ago and parading Piggy and Kermit on talk shows telling everyone to prepare for the next wave, and then... nothing. if you can provide facts to support that claim I'd love to see it. As an unabashed Muppet lover, everything I've ever been able to find says that in 2003, the Henson Co handed practically everything back over to Disney. They don't own Fraggles or Sesame Street, but they own the Classic Muppet lineup including TV, Movie and distribution rights.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I agree that having Cinderella and Spiderman at the same character meal is a riot. Despite all the jokes and fun we are having with the topic I really can't see Disney doing a whole lot with these characters in the domestic markets for a minimum of five years or maybe even longer.

Granted, I am no expert in the area, but it would appear that current agreements are wrapped up tight enough for the near term that Disney will have to be happy with collecting royalties and with using the characters at overseas parks.

Post Thanks / Like

"Courtesy of The Walt Disney Company February 17, 2004

The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company today announced that they have entered into an agreement under which Disney will acquire the beloved Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House properties from Henson.

The transaction includes all Muppet assets, including the Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo and Animal characters, the Muppet film and television library, and all associated copyrights and trademarks, as well as all the Bear in the Big Blue House characters, television library, copyrights and trademarks. The parties have signed a binding purchase agreement and expect the transaction to close within two months, subject to receiving the necessary regulatory clearances. The transaction does not include the Sesame Street characters, such as Big Bird and Elmo, which are separately owned by Sesame Workshop. The deal also includes non-exclusive production and consulting agreements under which Henson will develop potential new programming featuring the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House for Disney. "
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm pretty sure you got that from Jim Hill, and it's just not true. If it were true, then how did Disney release the pathetic Muppet Wizard of Oz? How were they able to do new Christmas Specials? How were they able to create new merchandise, and release a few seasons of DVDs? How were they re-branding their website 4 or 5 years ago and parading Piggy and Kermit on talk shows telling everyone to prepare for the next wave, and then... nothing. if you can provide facts to support that claim I'd love to see it. As an unabashed Muppet lover, everything I've ever been able to find says that in 2003, the Henson Co handed practically everything back over to Disney. They don't own Fraggles or Sesame Street, but they own the Classic Muppet lineup including TV, Movie and distribution rights.
    Wizard of Oz was 20th Century Fox, not Disney. Again, a pre-existing contract that Disney HAD TO honor. Those contracts are ending, HENCE Disney doing a new Muppet movie.

Yes, Disney bought the Muppets, but, any contract signed PRIOR TO the purchase HAD TO be honored. Since Disney owned the Muppets, they were able to open the website, distribute the DVDs. However, if say Twentith Century Fox signed a 5 TV movie deal, that deal HAD TO be honored.

And seriously, you know as well as I these contracts ARE NOT public knowledge. And shouldn't be.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: