Quantcast Space Mountain Soft Opening Reactions - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    I'm sure they plan them in advance, but I don't think they can make an announcement until the funding for the refurb has been approved, especially if said refurb is going to be substantial in either length or content.

Agreed but, I think they also time things so as to make sure it will not significantlly affect park attendance during the time that the ride is down. That is, they wait until bookings are in place then, they publish. In the case of Splash going down in January, I feel pretty confident in saying they new it was going to be down in January back in July / August of 2009. It was'nt published until mid to late October though. By this time I assume a lot of individuals that planned to go in January / February had already started to book there trips (airfare / room reservations, etc...) and it was to late (such as in my case) to change as a result. I also feel confident in saying that someone that vacations during the off season is not as willing to pay a non-disounted rate during peak or moderate season. All said, there is some rhyme or reason to everythign they do so as to maximize there profits.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    Agreed but, I think they also time things so as to make sure it will not significantlly affect park attendance during the time that the ride is down. That is, they wait until bookings are in place then, they publish. In the case of Splash going down in January, I feel pretty confident in saying they new it was going to be down in January back in July / August of 2009. It was'nt published until mid to late October though. By this time I assume a lot of individuals that planned to go in January / February had already started to book there trips (airfare / room reservations, etc...) and it was to late (such as in my case) to change as a result. I also feel confident in saying that someone that vacations during the off season is not as willing to pay a non-disounted rate during peak or moderate season. All said, there is some rhyme or reason to everythign they do so as to maximize there profits.
    I think in the past they were better about getting the word out fairly far in advance. Now with the economy the way it is, I can tell you the company is being a lot more scrutinizing in how it allocates its funds. This means that every single thing requiring money has to be individually examined and can't be rubber stamped anymore, which would expedite the announcement process. It's a shame that attraction refurbishment is among these things. Annual maintenance alone should be a guarantee, not a possibility per available funding.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm taking a big risk at maybe getting flamed here, but I'm kind of glad not much changed. I'd rather have the same ride that I discovered years ago. Granted, the DLR version is slicker and "cooler" in a way, but all that I've seen of it seems to show that it also lost a little heart along the way. Granted, seven months was a long time to wait (and I missed it being open on my trip this summer) but at least we still have a WDW original, in close to its original form. And no, I an NOT drinking kool-aid...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I got to ride SM yesterday. I really enjoyed it
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but think that if they changed SM too much, then we'd have a bunch of people on here complaining that they're changing too much stuff in WDW. There are so many who keep saying the classics should be left alone...kept safe and clean, but original. Now, Disney pretty much did that, and there are still complainers.

They won't ever make enough people happy, so if you are upset enough about the lack of changes, then don't ride it. Or, keep riding it, and stop complaining.

Personally, I'm so glad it will be open when we're there in 13 days!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

lockedoutlogic Guest

First...i would venture to say that NOBODY has ever cancelled a planned trip to WDW because of a ride closure...they could probably close MGM or AK for 6 months and not really effect bookings much if any...

Second...space mountain is a 1975 steel rollercoaster...it is outdated...to think it's not is silly.

first, space mountain was way more violent when they opened it than they wanted it to be...why? because roller coaster technology prior to 1989 was horrendous...violent, rattling, shaky, gut wrenching, head banging...

some of us love that...but it was because there was no alternative...not by design.

so space mountain isn't "out of control" by design as much as it is what it is because that was the limit of design, manufacturing, installation...

So it is outdated, it has been outdated, and it will be until they either change it, replace it, or build a new one using all the new things engineers have learned in the amusement park boom of the last 20 years...

sometimes things just are rough...not by design...anyone who has ridden (RIP) Batman and Robin: The Chiller at Six Flags Great Adventure could attest to that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Ok, I'm taking a big risk at maybe getting flamed here, but I'm kind of glad not much changed. I'd rather have the same ride that I discovered years ago. Granted, the DLR version is slicker and "cooler" in a way, but all that I've seen of it seems to show that it also lost a little heart along the way. Granted, seven months was a long time to wait (and I missed it being open on my trip this summer) but at least we still have a WDW original, in close to its original form. And no, I an NOT drinking kool-aid...
    I'm with you on this one....SM holds a special place in my heart: it was the VERY first coaster I ever rode. I was fearful that it would be turned into a more intense ride (such a RnRR) and that I wouldn't be able to ride it any more. So, I'm glad that it's staying true to its original design, but to each his own.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    I'm with you on this one....SM holds a special place in my heart: it was the VERY first coaster I ever rode. I was fearful that it would be turned into a more intense ride (such a RnRR) and that I wouldn't be able to ride it any more. So, I'm glad that it's staying true to its original design, but to each his own.
    To change the ride entirely was never the intention. Upgrading the effects and adding onboard audio (the things they were supposed to add but eventually cut) would not have changed the intensity but instead have improved on an already fun ride experience. When they replaced all of the track at Disneyland, it kept the exact same layout as before, only much more structurally sound as well as a foundation that was 30 feet deeper than before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I can't help but think that if they changed SM too much, then we'd have a bunch of people on here complaining that they're changing too much stuff in WDW. There are so many who keep saying the classics should be left alone...kept safe and clean, but original. Now, Disney pretty much did that, and there are still complainers.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find one person who DIDN'T like the changes they've made to Haunted Mansion. In fact, many people praise Magic Kingdom as having the best version, and it's not even the original.

Many people also enjoyed the additions to Pirates of the Caribbean. I understand that one still has a few adherents to the original version, but at the same time it's still just as popular, if not moreso, if you consider the fact that many first timers didn't know the films were even based on an attraction.

The changes made to Space Mountain over the years at Disneyland were usually met with open arms BECAUSE they were an improvement to an already fun attraction. They weren't taking away from it, they were adding to it.

The fact is, most of the attractions, especially the so-called "classic" ones at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are fairly different from their original incarnations in some way, shape or form. Rarely do you find anyone waxing poetic about some former variation of an attraction (with Imagination and Spaceship Earth at Epcot being notable exceptions).

Change isn't always a bad thing, especially in the case of even the most cherished attractions. Taking the time to expand upon a classic by implementing the latest technologies available while carefully preserving elements of the attraction is what helps them stand the test of time. It keeps them fresh visit after visit. And we all know how much we all rush to see the latest upgrades after every major refurbishment.

Space Mountain has changed relatively little since its inception. It deserves the treatment nearly every classic attraction has gotten.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I upset you (sounds like I did). I wasn't saying anything against your original post at all.

What I posted is true, though. I was just making an observation. Look back through posts over the years, and you'll see.

I personally like to see change. I love HM, and loved every single thing they did in the new version, so no complaints here.

I can take or leave the changes to PotC. I like both versions equally, although I think the addition of Davey Jones talking in the mist was WAY cool, and an excellent addition. Both versions are great.

Would I have loved to see more upgrades and changes to SM? Sure. But, they didn't do that, and I'll still love the ride. I just can't get all jacked up about them basically only doing a refurb instead of an entire overhaul. It is what it is, and I'm fine with that.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic

I get so bored with classic-babble.

Somebody said "plus it" then somebody else quickly replied, "given this, that and the other, what's the least we can do cost-wise?". When the answer was "We can do little." someone then said, "That's not much of a refurb." The answer was, "We'll tell the guests we left it classic."

If the WDCompany wants to give me something classic how about classic prices?

I understand WDW is a 365 day a year enterprise and attractions need periodic refurbs I just wish they wouldn't give a rennovation buildup then close for months then tell us some version of, "guests asked us to keep it classic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Sorry if I upset you (sounds like I did).
    No worries, you didn't upset me. I was simply pointing out that by and large many of the refurbs where big changes happened have been fairly well-received.

There have been some that haven't, and to be honest I think some of the changes they made to DLR's IASM caused some unhappy guests, but overall the reaction to a lot of classic ride refurbishments has been positive.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know - I haven't ridden the new ride yet but I don't like too much change to fast. I love the new plans on paper of fantasyland but in our recent trip I found myself taking pictures of the places where my daughter was when she was little that my much younger son will never remember.

Space mountain was one of the few rides that I remember in explicit detail from when I a kid. If they changed it too much I would be a bit sad. I think it is supposed to be a bit rough around the edges. It isn't supposed to be futuristic in 2010. Its supposed to be futuristic in 1975(74).

I'm all for improvement but I'm glad sometimes that disney takes some things slow for us soon to be old people. As I walk into future world and walk past three rides that weren't there when I was a kid I am glad space mountain is there and largly unchanged.
    ------Fort Wilderness or Bust!-----------

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I get so bored with classic-babble.

Somebody said "plus it" then somebody else quickly replied, "given this, that and the other, what's the least we can do cost-wise?". When the answer was "We can do little." someone then said, "That's not much of a refurb." The answer was, "We'll tell the guests we left it classic."

If the WDCompany wants to give me something classic how about classic prices?

I understand WDW is a 365 day a year enterprise and attractions need periodic refurbs I just wish they wouldn't give a rennovation buildup then close for months then tell us some version of, "guests asked us to keep it classic"
    Touchdown!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find one person who DIDN'T like the changes they've made to Haunted Mansion. In fact, many people praise Magic Kingdom as having the best version, and it's not even the original.

Many people also enjoyed the additions to Pirates of the Caribbean. I understand that one still has a few adherents to the original version, but at the same time it's still just as popular, if not moreso, if you consider the fact that many first timers didn't know the films were even based on an attraction.

The changes made to Space Mountain over the years at Disneyland were usually met with open arms BECAUSE they were an improvement to an already fun attraction. They weren't taking away from it, they were adding to it.

The fact is, most of the attractions, especially the so-called "classic" ones at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are fairly different from their original incarnations in some way, shape or form. Rarely do you find anyone waxing poetic about some former variation of an attraction (with Imagination and Spaceship Earth at Epcot being notable exceptions).

Change isn't always a bad thing, especially in the case of even the most cherished attractions. Taking the time to expand upon a classic by implementing the latest technologies available while carefully preserving elements of the attraction is what helps them stand the test of time. It keeps them fresh visit after visit. And we all know how much we all rush to see the latest upgrades after every major refurbishment.

Space Mountain has changed relatively little since its inception. It deserves the treatment nearly every classic attraction has gotten.
    absolutely perfect

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Touchdown!!
    ...and here comes my flag to contest the call...

Sorry, I mean what I say. Not everything needs to be "plussed beyond recognition." However, I know that this is an opinion, and no matter how valid mine is, yours is valid too (except mine is better-just kidding)

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default A different point of view!!!!

How about a different point of view:

How many times do we on this board complain that they are destroying our classics? That Disney just wants to keep changing everything and destroy our memories. Well it seems as though with this new Space Mountain update, they listened to us, and kept the ride as classic as it always has been, with a few minor upgrades for the guest experience and tons of upgrade for the basic operation of the ride behind the scenes. I personally am very glad to hear that they kept the ride as is, and kept its classic nature. If I want to ride a roller coaster that sits 2 across, goes really fast and has music, guess what, I'll go over to DHS and ride RnR...a ride that Disneyland doesn't have and so they had a valid reason to change their Space Mountain to be more a more exciting ride, plus they have no space to keep expanding in DL like they do at WDW.

I can't wait to ride Space Mountain again, and thats my
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    How about a different point of view:

How many times do we on this board complain that they are destroying our classics? That Disney just wants to keep changing everything and destroy our memories. Well it seems as though with this new Space Mountain update, they listened to us, and kept the ride as classic as it always has been, with a few minor upgrades for the guest experience and tons of upgrade for the basic operation of the ride behind the scenes. I personally am very glad to hear that they kept the ride as is, and kept its classic nature. If I want to ride a roller coaster that sits 2 across, goes really fast and has music, guess what, I'll go over to DHS and ride RnR...a ride that Disneyland doesn't have and so they had a valid reason to change their Space Mountain to be more a more exciting ride, plus they have no space to keep expanding in DL like they do at WDW.

I can't wait to ride Space Mountain again, and thats my
    My thoughts exactly.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I love Space Mountain !
    As long as the ride is safe it's fine with me
    i agree
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps next they'll add some characters along the ride, a gift shop with lots of Stitch as you leave the ride, and perhaps a meet and greet with a photo pass photographer?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: