Quantcast Encouragement needed in the worry department!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Encouragement needed in the worry department!

OK, so here's the truth... I'm a hypochondriac and trying to get over that to enjoy my trip to Disney. Anyone else out there also struggle with this? How do you "get past the worry" to relax and enjoy your trip? I am fearful of all sorts of germs and pathogens... and this trip is an attempt to get past that somewhat, but kinda freaking out... especially with kids touching all sorts of things that everyone else touches. Thoughts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Carry hand sanitizer.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree....hand sanitizer. I try to keep the touching to a minimum.....which can be difficult. I just remind them not to put their hands to their face and keep their hands off the ropes and such. We go thru plenty of wipes and sanitizer but it's worth it. You will be at the happiest place on Earth!

I also bring my own hand soap for the hotel room. We use so much of it.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's any help
    -millions of people visit the Disney parks every year and only a fraction get sick from contact in the parks.

In addition, don't forget that every virus we're exposed to today is one we develop immunity to for tomorrow. Unless you or the kids have a compromised immune system of some sort it's far better to get those colds and flu viruses while they're young and healthy than when they're in their 70s or 80s where a simple virus can lead to pneumonia and death. Sometimes I worry we may be doing a long term disservice to ourselves and kids by attempting to sanitize everything and avoid all types of viruses today.

Post Thanks / Like

I would see what you can do with your condition first. I would not consider Disney as a way to "get over" it. There are thousands of people there and if you are concerned now, it will get worse when you get there. I would try to get over the fear first.

Hand Sanitizer
    Realize there are more germs in your bathroom than most other places you will visit.
    Take vitamins.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hope23 View Post
    How do you "get past the worry" to relax and enjoy your trip? Thoughts?
    Have faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I 100% agree with BigredDad and dnickels.

When you look at the big picture the chances of you catching something in Disney are just as small or great as you or your kids catching something in school, the mal or passing someone in the street.We can all tell you you'll be fine, but first have to ready to keep it in prespective.Good luck.
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

I got very freaked out when we went to Disney last May, with the H1N1 flu just starting to be a big news item.

We were aware, but not crazy. We washed hands very often, and 100% before we ate ANYTHING. We also took hand sanitizer and used it after rides. Eat properly and make sure you get enough sleep, and your immune system will take care of the rest.

Don't forget, you are exposed to as many germs at the mall, at work, the kids touch all sorts of stuff at school, etc, so don't panic about WDW.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from WDW on Sat Night. There are now hand santizer machines EVERYWHERE. all hotel entrances, all over the parks, ever register at every store has small spray sanitizers to buy. I would not worry because almost every person I saw had their own santizer and were using them like crazy. So, it seems everyone is on the germ free bandwagon so that made me feel better and should make you feel better as well.

Have fun!
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

i second the 'have faith' suggestion.
    fear and anxiety is the opposite of faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We washed hands very often, and 100% before we ate ANYTHING.
    To be fair, very very rarely can anything in the realm of H1N1 be transferred orally. Your saliva is incredibly acidic and can kill a fair bit of bacteria and viruses. It's the mucous membranes in your nose and eyes that are incredibly sensitive and are also entryways for those pathogens.

This is why it's perfectly safe for your kids to eat dirt. If anything it boosts their immune system.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I understand how you feel. I agree with everyone else to just have faith, but if you need some extra help...I noticed at the store the other day they are now selling individually packaged sanitizing wipes. I plan on bringing them along to wipe down the bars on rides . Besides that I plan on LOTS of handwashing and carrying my sanitizer spray with us.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

mmmm, dirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas!! I'm all about some hand sanitizer now. The hand wipes are even better. We bought a big box of those at Sams recently so we could take several to the parks with us in January.

Halls has these little drops now that give you boosts of vitamins C and D (I think..I'm pretty sure about the D anyways). I personally will be taking some of those along.

We took our first December trip last year, and we took a bottle of Lysol with us to spray in the room (if you're flying, you can get tinier travel-size cans. They just cost as much as the cans in some cases.)

Ha! My sister ate dirt alot as a child. Must explain why I get sick four times before she does once...
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: