Quantcast Considering going back into nursing - job market ??'s

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering going back into nursing - job market ??'s

I worked as a pediatric RN for close to 10 years. After having baby #2 we moved from Delaware to Kansas and I opted to stay home with my kids since DH was traveling 2-3 weeks out of the month at the time. I let my RN license lapse. I then ended up working in children's ministry which I have been doing now for the past 11 years. I currently work for a mega-church as the elementary program director.

My kids are now 8, 13, and 15 and I started looking into what it would take to go back to nursing and found that my local community college offers a RN refresher course that is only 9 weeks. I would then also need some additional clinical hours before I could re-apply for my RN license. It is very tempting. Financially we could really use the extra $$ that I could be making as a nurse. I also have tossed around the idea that having my RN would allow me to do some medical mission trips which is something I think I might really enjoy.

Can anyone tell me what the job market for RN's is like now? I hear that there is a nursing shortage but wondered how the economy is affecting healthcare jobs. I would give up my ministry job but I am not ready to jump back in full time as an RN. I would really like to work in a pediatric clinic or pediatrician's office.

A little pixie dust and prayers appreciated as well as I try to discern what I should do!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, I'm wondering the same thing because I just submitted my application for nursing school at the University of Colorado. Prayers for discernment coming your way.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Default RN outlook

The RN job projection is exellent in the next 10 years. Many RN's will be retiring.

Our Hospital currently has a hiring freeze, except for "critical positions". Nurses are critical positions. Sometimes they say we can't hire for a month or two, then it gets lifted, etc...

Salary for RN's is excellent and bene's are also excellent.

Doctor's offices are probably doing more work w/ less staff, as w/ insurance reimbursements, it is becoming harder to make the same amount of $$.

GO FOR IT!
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

On our unit at our hospital, we have just about 2-3 positions open and that's it. Other areas are similar.

The problem with being a returning RN is, at least around here, most are required to complete an internship, similar to a GN. With the economy the way it is, a lot of hospitals just don't have the money for internships. We had a lay-off months ago, but nursing was not a part of that.

With people losing their jobs or giving up benefits for extra in their paycheck, people are just not going to the doctor or having tests done. Offices and hospitals are losing that money, seeing a drop in patients and, thus, money.

I have heard that it is difficult for an RN to find an office job, as they tend to hire more MA's and LVNs (hospitals around here are not hiring LVNs much anymore) because they are cheaper than an RN. Office jobs are very nice for parents, as nights, weekends, and holidays are free.

Something you could probably look into, and it big around here, is school nursing. You will have weekends, holidays, and summers free, giving you more time for your ministry work. If you can find a position like that, it could interest you. You have the ability to educate and help a bunch of kids at a time!

Altogether, there is a nursing shortage, but there is also a money shortage, so lots of places are weighing both sides.

I wish you luck in your studies, and welcome you back to the world of nursing!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I can't offer any advice except to say good luck! I really admire nurses- they do alot. I could never do it mostly because I doubt I could maintain composure like that in an emergency! Anyway, I would imagine there is a need for this critical and important job even in this economy. Check around on job posting boards maybe to "feel" it out.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My hospital is also on a hiring freeze ( they are not hiring from outside, but will fill positions within). The company I work for is not hurting financially. I know many hospitals in my area are.
    But I would say go for it. Nursing will always be a career that will be in demand.

I love pediatric nursing!!!!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a children's hospital that also owns about 20 pediatrician clinics...we constantly have openings each week at least 2-3 for RNs or APNs (advanced practice nurses).

There will always be a market for nurses. I hate to say it, but you can always count on people being sick. Even if they're not sick, they are going to need to go for well visits. I think you will be very safe in your return to the job market.

DH is actually investigating returning to school to become an RN. His first BS in in journalism. Anyone know what he would have to do for a second degree?
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

If I get laid off, I am going into nursing. The opportunities are insane. In my field, jobs just get moved overseas. My neighbor is a nurse and I am envious of him. He works 3 twelve hour shifts and makes more than I do. If he has something go wrong (like a refrigerator going down), he works two extra shifts that month. For me, I have to cut, save, and pray to cover that bill.

It is an excellent field depending on your area. Work is plenty and some RNs are making $80+ an hour.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Default going back for RN

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew26 View Post

DH is actually investigating returning to school to become an RN. His first BS in in journalism. Anyone know what he would have to do for a second degree?
    There are programs out there, such as the University of Rochester, that have a program for adult learners that have a BS in something else. It is an accelerated program, and you come out w/ an RN/BSN. Have no idea what is in your area, but you can go to University of Rochester School of Nursing website and check it out w/ curriculum
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

At our hospital, we are also financially solvent but we are also in a hiring freeze. They are still hiring RNs and aides - just not as many as we once had. Specialty areas like pediatrics have always been hit and miss. We never have more than a stray part-time position in peds but we have a small peds unit.

For those considering going into nursing due to the economy, please keep a few things in mind. Nursing is a hard job that requires a great deal of dedication. Your patients, their families, and your co-workers are all counting on you to do your job and do it well and someone's life is in your hands everytime you go to work. It's a 24/7 job - you will work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. It's often a thankless job where you will have horrific days that make you wonder why you went into the job in the first place but on the flip side, it can be wonderfully rewarding. It's definately not something to take lightly and it's not something you should do just to make money. Good luck to those of you who make the decision to enter nursing!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Nursing is definately not a career to go into for the money.it has to be something you love, because the pay does not equal the responsibility.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

That program at you local community college sounds like a great opportunity for you. 9 weeks isn't that long and it probably crams quite a bit of info into that time. They may already partner with your local hospital(s) for your clinicals as well - that's what my local community college and hospital do.

Oh, by the way, two of my co-workers did a medical missions trip last year and had a fantastic time! They said the people who received care were most appreciative and so happy to have them there. If you like what you do now with the church, you'd probably love a missions trip as well. Perhaps you can even find one that your kids can go on too. Good luck!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know much about what the job market is like but I do know the hopital at home (not WVU) only hires RN's now instead of LPNs and others with similar degrees. That seems to be a trend. It sounds like something you are passionate about and you are doing without that money right now, so even if it takes a little while maybe the financial burden won't be too difficult? Anyway, I think you should definitely look into more. It sounds like the missionary RN work would be great. Good luck! I'm sure God will help you go in the right direction.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

In theory there is a nursing shortage (isn't there always?), but in reality a lot of hospitals are holding back on hiring due to salary constraints. However, hospitals and medical centers in large metropolitan areas are less hard-hit, I believe. The hospital I work at in the Houston area is a for-profit that is doing fairly well and they are definitely hiring.

If you do go back into nursing, I think the key (at least initially) is to be flexible. You may not be able to get back into Pediatrics right away, but if you can get your foot in the door on another floor, you gain experience until that Pediatric position comes up. If the 9-week refresher course involves clinical time at local hospitals, use that time to network and promote yourself, hopefully into a position upon completion. Something else to consider--it may be a bit more difficult to transition into a part-time position in nursing when you are just re-entering the field. I know my hospital hires very few part-timers and then it's typically in "PRN" positions for those who have extended experience and are willing to be flexible in their hours (this is what I do).

Good luck with whatever you decide. I've enjoyed being a nurse for 23 years and can't imagine doing anything else!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: