Quantcast wheelchairs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: wheelchairs

Post Thanks / Like

Default wheelchairs

We are gonna be staying at the wilderness and will have someone who will need a wheelchair in the parks. I have heard people renting them from other companies and having them delivered? Is that a better choice? If we rent in the parks how often do they run out of ECVs in August? what is the best way to do this?And for shows like Nemo and stunts motor cars ; things like that, will she be able to stay in her wheelchair and watch?
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I appologize. I see now there was a special needs category for this. i dont know how to move it..
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    We are gonna be staying at the wilderness and will have someone who will need a wheelchair in the parks. I have heard people renting them from other companies and having them delivered? Is that a better choice? If we rent in the parks how often do they run out of ECVs in August? what is the best way to do this?And for shows like Nemo and stunts motor cars ; things like that, will she be able to stay in her wheelchair and watch?
    We have rented both from the parks and from an outside vendor. I prefer renting from the outside vendor for the fact that it is cheaper, you can use it around your hotel and DTD, and you can selected the model that fits your needs best. Plus when you park hop you don't have to worry about the other park being out of ecv's when you arrive.

I used Buena Vista Scooters. They delivered directly to the bellhop at my hotel, and the bellhop delivered the ecv to my room. I talked with many other ecv users in the park who all commented to me how nice the model was that I had and how it was far nicer and had more features then the ones offered in both the parks, and by the other outside vendors.

Most shows they will have an wheelchair viewing area and they will usually allow the other people in your party to sit close by if space is available, Disney tries to allow families to be able to enjoy the experiences with one another.

You can PM me if you have any other questions
    Last edited by ElenitaB; 04-04-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Removed link to Buena Vista Scooters
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    I appologize. I see now there was a special needs category for this. i dont know how to move it..
    Don't worry a moderator should be along shortly and they will move the topic for you to the correct page
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1999 we used wheelchairs at WDW. Our experience was good overall but found that while the resorts have wheelchairs, their wheelchairs could not be taken to the parks, unfortunately. I do not know if this is still the case or if the resorts still have wheelchairs for use within the resorts.

Wish we had known about the rental place that the pp mentioned. But check it out. They do have some really nice choices!

Good Luck!
    POFQ - 1995
    CBR - 1999
    POR - 2001
    WL - May 2006
    BCR - April 2010
    PPH (Disneyland) - July 2011
    BWI - Dec 2012 - Anniversary Trip!
    DCL & SoG 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Just moved the thread over to our Guests with Special Needs forum, where there are many experts who can help!

For us, we've travelled once with my Mom who needs and ECV, and we rented it from an off-site company (Buena Vista Scooters) and were delighted. It was great to have it for her to explore the resort, as well as for getting to the park itself.

We had an experience a couple of trips ago, where I hurt my back and needed a wheelchair for a couple of days. We just rented them from the park, but again, found getting from the car/bus to the park entrance was hard.

In both cases, Disney is great for those in ECV's and wheelchairs. For most things, such as the shows, you can stay in it, and for the things where you need to transfer, they will make sure you have the time you need, and will have your ECV or wheelchair waiting for you when you get off.

I would rent one from an off-site company, so you know you have it for the entire trip.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

thank you everyone. this helps out a great deal. She isn't stricken to a chair and doesnt use one at home but with her fibromyalgia and arthritis, walking too far is not good. She has avoided going with us in the past because she felt it was impossible but we have consistently told her that should not stop her from seeing disney. I have looked at both apple and beuna vista and I am finding apple is quite cheaper. Beuna looks like about $40 a day where apple is $135 for 6 days.
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with my mom. She doesn't use a chair to get around at home but disney is another story. We finally convinced her two years ago. I had a wheel chair waiting for her. She tried it one day to the Studios. After that she was glad to have us push her around. She was not sure about an ECV. We are going the end of May and mom was more than happy to come along this time. I also rented from apple it makes the trip much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year when my fiance's legs swelled up we used K&M rentals. They charged $25 per day with a 3 day minimum. Very friendly service.
    They deliver to the resorts but we got lucky because there was one already at Pop that somebody previously used & returned.

Nice ECV too for the price. It had variable speed, lights for night time, horn, arm rests, and a basket in the front. They have different models but this one was perfect.

If you want I can PM you the phone number and website.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12