Quantcast American Idol: Season 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American Idol: Season 9

Season premiere Tuesday, January 12, 8pm (EST).

See here for Season 9 schedule.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing what AI will be like, sans Paula Abdul. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing what AI will be like, sans Paula Abdul. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
    I can not believe that I'm going to say this but...........I think I'm going to be missing her. For years now I have ranted and raved about how strange her behavior has been, but this past season there were many times that she seemed to be the voice of reason. Go figure.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

They added Ellen D this season. Now I've got another reason to not watch. I've already boycotted Universe of Energy. Her sense of humor grates on me like no other.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

It will be different.... I don't personally have a problem with Ellen, though. I like her talk show. The audition rounds bore me anymore. Can't wait for Hollywood.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    The audition rounds bore me anymore.
    And that's about the only part that interests me anymore. Last year was zzzzzz for me. I hope there are more interesting personalities this time around. And I'm afraid I will miss Paula as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for the new season!! I think Ellen will be a great judge. She has a great personality and will have the music perspective of a regular person with little music experience except pure enjoyment of the song. I think this will be one of the best seasons in a while, hopefully with the changes, AI finally has the facelift it needed after slipping ratings last year!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    And that's about the only part that interests me anymore. Last year was zzzzzz for me. I hope there are more interesting personalities this time around. And I'm afraid I will miss Paula as well.
    I had high hopes for last season. They put them all up in that mansion and I thought we'd be seeing more "Behind the scenes." And let me clarify on the auditions. I like hearing singers for the first time, and the drama of whether they'll get through or not. It's just that over the years I've come to read tons about the actual process and I think it's just a disgrace with the number of bad singers that get through just for show. THAT is the part I'm bored with. I get the appeal of someone so ridiculously bad every now and then (like William Hung) but there are too many showcased over actual talent for my liking. Last year in the semi finals there were at least 5 people who we never saw, either in the auditions or Hollywood week.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing how much better Ellen is than Paula was.

I might have a little trouble fitting AI in with all the other good stuff on though.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

From CNN.com

Simon Cowell leaving 'American Idol'

(CNN) -- Longtime "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell said he'll be leaving the popular Fox talent show at the end of the season, the network announced Monday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California.

Cowell's popular U.K. talent show, "The X Factor," will be coming to the United States in the fall of 2011 with the acerbic critic in tow, according to Fox.

"I want to leave 'Idol' this year bigger and better than it was in the past," Cowell said at the TCA tour Monday.

Cowell will be both executive producer and judge on "The X Factor."

"I'm thrilled that we have put a date on the launch of the U.S. version of 'The X Factor,' and delighted to be continuing to work with Fox," said Cowell in a statement. "We have a fantastic relationship, a great team and are all very excited about this."

Speculation has raged for weeks as to Cowell's future. Though he's well paid for his "Idol" work -- an estimated $36 million per season -- he has expressed a desire to focus on "The X Factor."

Cowell said at the press session that it's taken some time to reach an agreement for his new duties, hence the buzz. (Indeed, he signed the last page of his "contract" on stage with Fox executives Peter Rice and Kevin Reilly.)

"[I] didn't think it was right to do two shows in America at the same time, so [I] decided to leave one and start another," he said.

He said he missed Paula Abdul, the former "Idol" judge who left the show in August, but wouldn't confirm or deny whether she would appear on "X Factor" in the U.S. Cowell and Abdul had a good-naturedly contentious relationship on "Idol," with the tough-minded Brit often acting as bad cop to the "Forever Your Girl" singer's good cop.

Since its premiere in 2002, "Idol" has been an entertainment phenomenon, regularly ranking as TV's top show, creating several musical stars and pulling in millions more viewers than its closest competition. Its new season premieres Tuesday.

Cowell's presence has been credited as a major reason. The British music executive was a judge on the British version of "Idol," "Pop Idol," and came to the United States when Fox imported the show. Unlike judges on many American talent shows, Cowell didn't sugar-coat his criticisms to contestants.

With the show's growing popularity -- by its fourth season it was the top show on television, a rank it has held ever since -- Cowell and fellow "Idol" players Abdul, judge Randy Jackson and amiable host Ryan Seacrest became stars in their own right.

Though the show continues to dominate American TV, ratings have started sliding in "Idol's" past two seasons. But Cowell told the TCA audience he had no doubt about the show's future.

It will "continue to be the No. 1 show" in the country, Cowell said. The show has given him "the best days of my life."

Asked who should replace him, he jokingly suggested Seacrest, with whom Cowell has also good-naturedly tangled. The Fox executives said they're not going to rush to find Cowell's replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's odd that Fox is going to have both Idol and XFactor. Simon talked about leaving for awhile and with X-Factor he'll have executive rights which I'm sure is much more lucrative. I like X-Factor's setup... I can't see American Idol surviving without Simon though.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowell leaving Idol

Simon Cowell Says He Is Leaving 'American Idol'

FOXNews.com

The British star has officially announced his impending departure.

Simon Cowell has officially announced that this is his final season of "American Idol."
    Cowell says he will instead serve as executive producer and judge on the American version of his hit UK show "The X-Factor," which will begin filming in 2011. The show will run on the Fox Network.
    "I'm thrilled that we have put a date on the launch of the U.S. version of 'The X Factor' and delighted to be continuing to work with Fox," Cowell said via statement. "We have a fantastic relationship, a great team and are all very excited about this.
    "We have had a very successful relationship with Simon Cowell for many years," says Mike Darnell, President of Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. "And we're absolutely delighted to continue our relationship with him. 'The X Factor' has been a massive success around the world, and we can't wait to bring it to the U.S. in 2011.'"
    "There's been a lot of speculation partly because we didn't have an agreement. We reached an agreement at half past 10 this morning. Where we have come to is 'X Factor' will launch in 2011 with me judging and producing the show. So this will be my last season on 'American Idol,'" Cowell said at a press event in Los Angeles Monday, Deadline.com reported.
    The announcement comes a day before the ratings juggernaut begins its ninth season. Talk show host and comedian Ellen DeGeneres will debut Tuesday as the fourth judge, replacing Paula Abdul. Producer Kara DioGuardi joined the judging panel last season to mixed reviews.
    But Cowell, with his caustic commentary, has long been seen as the big star of "Idol."
    Late last week, fellow judge Randy Jackson said he was skeptical of talk that Cowell would leave his signature show.
    "Until I really hear it from him, I'm not going to believe any rumors or believe anything," Jackson told MTV.com Friday. "There's so many rumors and speculation about everything going on."
    Fellow judge Kara DioGuardi told FoxNews.com's Pop Tarts before the announcement that it would be difficult to go on without Cowell.
    “I really hope that is just a rumor, he’s amazing. I was a fan before I was on the show and I just hope he stays on 'Idol' for as long as it lasts,” she said.
    Cowell said it would have been difficult for him to do both shows. While he makes a reported $36 million a year to be on "American Idol," he owns "The X Factor" and could make much more if the show takes off.
    "I was offered a lot of money to stay on," Cowell said. "But that wasn't the reason behind it. I wanted to do something different. I wanted a new challenge."
    Peter Price, chairman of the Fox Broadcasting Co., would not speculate on possible replacements for Cowell.
    "We have to take our time on that," Price said. "We have to make sure the chemistry of the judges is as good as it can be."
    Cowell said he didn't want to leave "American Idol" at a time when it was fading in the ratings.
    "You want to leave on a high," he said. "I'm very proud of what the show has achieved."
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I think American Idol probably has a couple of more years in it, despite losing Simon. The show is so powerful now, that even losing 1/3 of the audience it would still be #1, and even losing 1/2 of the audience it would still be worth presenting.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

With rumors circulating for a couple of days, I was not surprised to hear that Simon will be leaving. But I do have to say that I think American Idol will not survive very long. Maybe if they revamped the whole show it would be fresh enough to stand on its own, but in its present format the loss of two original judges (not to mention the addition of Kara last season) will mess up the equation. And I can't think of anyone who could step into Simon's shoes, except for Clive Davis himself, perhaps (would that be a conflict of interest?)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I'll really miss Simon, so since I've already started losing interest as it is, I doubt I'll tune in at all next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

After watching AI last night it got me wondering if they have already replaced Simon. That man I saw was no where near as nasty as the Simon from past years.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I found last night to be kinda eh. I pretty much say that every year though for the early shows. Outside of the rare random funny moments and the rare performer that just blows you away (not too many of them last night) most of the early shows consist of incredibly hokey segments featuring people making fools of themselves (not something I find entertaining) or painful moments when people who appear to legitimately think they're talented have their hopes dashed to bits.

Both tend to make me feel sort of dirty for watching.

On a side note, Victoria Beckham is freakishly unattractive. She looks like what you'd end up with if you sent one of the aliens from Close Encounters of the Third Kind to Joan Rivers' plastic surgeon.
    Last edited by Ian; 01-13-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought last night was a "kinder and gentler" audition show, compared with previous seasons. Simon was sort of low-key and the snarky remarks were at a minimum. Of course, that could change as they go to the different cities. I was very impressed with the two 16-year-old girls that made it through, especially Maddie (Mattie?) from Middlebury, Connecticut. She seemed very genuine and had a wonderfully natural voice, IMO.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    On a side note, Gloria Beckham is freakishly unattractive. She looks like what you'd end up with if you sent one of the aliens from Close Encounters of the Third Kind to Joan Rivers' plastic surgeon.
    You mean Victoria Beckham, but I agree. I did like a few of the singers last night, but it's hard to get attached this early. They don't show much of the good ones and who knows who will survive Hollywood week. But I still enjoy watching. It's not all that involving at this stage, so I get some writing done while I'm watching, which is a big plus when I'm on deadline.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: