Quantcast Delta Raises Baggage Charges

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Delta Raises Baggage Charges

(CNN) -- Checking in luggage on Delta Air Lines is about to cost passengers even more, starting Tuesday.

Passengers paying online for checked bags will be charged $23 for the first bag and $32 for the second -- an $8 and $7 increase from current rates, respectively.

Those checking in bags at the airport will shell out even more: $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second.

The new rates apply to tickets purchased on or after January 5. Passengers who bought tickets before that date will pay the old rates, Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott said.

Some passengers -- such as first-class fliers, some frequent fliers and military personnel on deployment -- are exempt from most checked-luggage fees.

Delta's luggage fees now are among the highest in the industry. US Airways also charges $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag when checked in at the airport. Online, the airline charges $20 and $30 for the first and second bags.

United Airlines charges $20 for the first checked bag and $30 for the second bag at the airport and $15 and $25 online for the first and second bag, respectively.

Most major air carriers started charged checked-bag fees in 2008.
    Just an FYI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I think!

I'm so tired of trying to figure the real cost of the ticket when I have to figure out how many bags I'll be brining and add the cost of those bags to my fare! Even though I'm not a big fan of Southwest's open seating system, I'm far more likely to add the $10 per person (known cost and easy to figure) for Early Bird check-in.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I had a deal on a flight with Allegiant at $40 per person one way. Add $20 for fees/taxes, $50 for two bags and I am at the price of SW. I prefer SW because the other airport is 90 minutes away.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

These baggage fees just really, really irritate me. Probably 90% of the people who fly need to check at least one bag. To essentially tax or penalize passengers for needing that bag or two is ridiculous -- and it's mostly under the guise of making their fares look lower. And now, instead of increasing their fares (which, by the way, I'm not sure Delta hasn't also done anyway recently), they add to the cost for checking bags.

Oh well, at the very least, I know I have a choice. Personally, I won't fly these airlines that charge ridiculous amounts of money for my checked bags - not unless there is absolutely positively no other way to get to where I'm going. And have you noticed what kind of luggage people are now being allowed to bring on the plane as 'carry on', in an effort to save baggage fees? It's a crazy system.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only a matter of time before all the rest of the money grubbing airlines follow suit. Ugh ... I really think this model of passing off fees to customers to add revenue is bogus. I am a staunch supporter of Southwest Airlines now ... I never used to be -- but I will give my money to the company that actually understands its customers!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before, as far as I'm concerned, Southwest.com is the only place I look for airfare these days. Heck, I don't really know if I am paying the lowest price, but I like their attitude and they way they do business and don't feel guilty rewarding them for it.

Delta lost me when they started moving flights. If it weren't for the frequent complaints about them here, I wouldn't even know they were still in business.

How people put up with these fees is beyond me. I guess that's what happens when you complain to yourself but let it die there. Make the switch people.. Not necessarily to SW, but without voting with your wallet, corporate america ain't going to make any changes...

Post Thanks / Like

Bags Fly Free on Southwest! It's On!

Other airlines are going to nickle and dime their passengers to death because they do not operate on a low cost model.

This raising of fees is going to be the norm going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy It's Only a Matter of Time...

As soon as that incredible jet fuel deal Southwest arranged ends, they'll start charging just like eveyone else. Don't know how long it's got to go, but it'll end eventually...
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    As soon as that incredible jet fuel deal Southwest arranged ends, they'll start charging just like eveyone else. Don't know how long it's got to go, but it'll end eventually...
    Don't count on that. SWA has made money off their NOT charging fees. Other revenue sources can be found without nickle and diming passengers for things that were once taken for granted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    Don't count on that. SWA has made money off their NOT charging fees. Other revenue sources can be found without nickle and diming passengers for things that were once taken for granted.
    True, however SWA has increased costs as their oil futures have begun expiring. This was the only reason they were able to keep such low fares for the last couple years while others were paying for the high oil costs. (Thanks speculators again for driving gas up to $3 a gallon)

But now SWA is also one of the leading companies in finding ways to make their planes more fuel efficient and they pass this on to the customer. Simple things like slowing down the cruise speed on a flight. This may cause the flight to last a few minutes longer but is saving millions in fuel costs. As well as those funny wing tips that curve up. My dad would know what they were called, but anyway they supposedly make the plane more fuel efficient too.

Now if I could only find some of those for my Civic...
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up BMan62! I'm starting to get a headache & as Faline said, not only looking at the airlines fares, but then adding to that the checked bag costs! I have to have an excel spreadsheet to be able to do the comparisons! It's really annoying! I'm watching SW right now & I'm on the edge! The rates are higher than we've ever paid, but look good compared to everyone else - especially when you know you are a family of 4 that is definitely going to have checked bags! This is a royal pain in my planning! I'm ready for the fun part!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We are flying Southwest from Kansas City to Orlando in April for just $165 for each round trip ticket and that includes early bird checkin both ways and also all fees. We also love it that they allow 2 checked bags at no extra charge. Whe we first booked the flights back in October the prices were $316 for each round trip ticket, however I kept close watch on the prices for our flights and everytime they dropped the prices I called Southwest and had price adjustments made. They do not refund your money but they do give you credit so we now have $302 in credit and are planning a trip back east to visit family later this summer.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    They already are charging you for it they just hide it better. The price that they give you is the combined price. The other carriers are just giving you "options".

Right now most prices that I have checked out, SWA is more expensive by the cost of checked baggage. I think that it is a great marketing ploy by SWA. They do seem to be the smartest of the bunch right now.

Using the price of oil as an excuse is the oldest trick in the airlines vocabulary. The airlines are taking in MILLIONS on all of these "extra" fees that they offer.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I thought I had a deal on a flight with Allegiant at $40 per person one way. Add $20 for fees/taxes, $50 for two bags and I am at the price of SW. I prefer SW because the other airport is 90 minutes away.
    Allegiant will be operating some flights through Orlando International (MCO) starting in February; some of their flights will still be going through Orlando Sanford Int'l (SFB).

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    ...but I will give my money to the company that actually understands its customers!

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunderFan View Post
    But now SWA is also one of the leading companies in finding ways to make their planes more fuel efficient and they pass this on to the customer. ...As well as those funny wing tips that curve up. My dad would know what they were called, but anyway they supposedly make the plane more fuel efficient too.
    Winglets. SWA led the way in adding these to their fleet; now they're showing up on other airlines' planes as well. They significantly increase the lift on the wings, thus achieving better performance while using less fuel.

You should have seen the look on my daughter's face when I told her that the wings got that way from pilots making terrible landings, causing the wings to hit the ground and bend up the ends.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianWDWFan View Post
    They already are charging you for it they just hide it better. The price that they give you is the combined price. The other carriers are just giving you "options".

Right now most prices that I have checked out, SWA is more expensive by the cost of checked baggage. I think that it is a great marketing ploy by SWA. They do seem to be the smartest of the bunch right now.
    Sorry, but we fly a lot and check SW fares often, and I haven't seen what you are saying. They are definitely competitive with their fares - before we get to the baggage fees with other airlines. They also do some other things so much better than the other airlines - like they hardly ever change the flight times on you and they don't charge penalties if you have to change or cancel a flight.

They are clearly one of the 2 or 3 leaders in the industry now - but Southwest has been near the top for at least the past 20-25 years. Someone there has run things well for a long time. We try to fly with them whenever we can. These baggage fees with other airlines just makes our decision that much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I just booked a trip to WDW for late Feb-we got a good deal on the hotel and the airfare, but....

I have always used ME when flying to Orlando and I never realized what a savings that was-$66 for Mears shuttle for 2 RT. We can't use it this time b/c we are staying at the Dolphin-which I am way excited about!

And, I was completely naive about baggage fees. The last time we flew was on SW last year and no baggage fees and then before we flew AirTran (I loved AirTran until I just saw that they had baggage fees as well, only $15 right now-but I'm sure that will change.)

We are getting to fly out of Cincinnati, which is only 20 minutes from us, vs. Louisville (1.5 hrs away) and Dayton (1.5 hrs away). I was so super excited about our trip (I still am, just a little bummed) with all these extra fees. We will try to carry on-we are just going for a long weekend for just the 2 of us.

However when we go down as a family (there are 5 of us) there is no way we can fly-maybe ever again. What with tickets, airfare, parking at the airport, etc. Our last trip when we drove was long (15 hours) but, we had a good time, and I could pack as much as I wanted for 5 people and we had our car at the parks. We drove straight through and had meals both ways, I know we spent less than $500-which would have been the cost for 1.5 air tickets.

Thanks for the info from everyone!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should all just move and work at WDW! We would save a ton of $$$$$!!!!
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    March 2008-Pop Century
    February 2010-Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Guys, forgive my stupidity...but, are these charges each way on a RT ticket?
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    March 2008-Pop Century
    February 2010-Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rekenna View Post
    Guys, forgive my stupidity...but, are these charges each way on a RT ticket?
    Yup, sure are!! (Not a stupid question.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    Yup, sure are!! (Not a stupid question.)
    Holy Toledo! Wow, I guess we are never flying again. The great deal I got for this trip is slowly turning into a clunker.

Still excited though, can't keep me down!

We will just HAVE TO CARRY-ON (pun intended!)
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    March 2008-Pop Century
    February 2010-Dolphin

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: